Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Brave Browser - Ready for Prime Time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    That is kind of weird, are you saying that Brave is displaying different content on a web page to what is disayed on another browser? That would imply that there is more than one version of the same web page online. Could it be a case of an earlier version or one not showing current/recent changes?
    One odd thing Brave was doing for me was when doing a search on a different browser clicking on a search result occasionally caused Brave to launch and open said link. Yes I did have Brave as my default at the time but this has never happened with any other browser I have used.
    I explained the problem in reply to Patrick's post.
    I also explained it earlier in this thread.
    It's not that there is more than one version of a particular web page online - Brave just seems to ignore part of the website code which in the end provides the wrong information - just like coming to a fork in the road and one takes a wrong turn.

I explained the problem in reply to Patrick's post.

That post was some time ago and besides I don't see any sort of connection other than the Brave browser didn't seem to have any autofill information setup that it could use, or just didn't work.

Bottom line I'd say, regardless of the problem that didn't work for you, so why even bother with it???

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Bottom line I'd say, regardless of the problem that didn't work for you, so why even bother with it???
    I like the idea with Brave of blocking ads and blocking tracking built in instead of some add-on.
    But for now I will shelve it and maybe look at it again next year.

In the meantime I added ghostery to Firefox, but now I have websites complaining that I use an ad blocker and to please disable it.

Which makes me wonder - since websites can detect that you have an ad blocker active, do they then restrict what one has access to on their website?

Which makes me wonder - since websites can detect that you have an ad blocker active, do they then restrict what one has access to on their website?

I've wondered the same thing myself.

Or is there an actual difference between a web browser with an ad blocker, or a normal browser with an ad blocker plug-in???

Can they tell if there is a difference and what one is using???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What the ad merchants probably do is tuck a bit of javascript, or other code, into the ad they want you to see. When the ad is displayed, the javascript or code runs, reporting back success. If they don't get the success response, the know the ad didn't run. I have seen a lot more sites using this mechanism to block access. And they are getting more aggressive about simply not showing anything unless the ad runs, effectively preventing any non-ad access. So far, I just ignore the plea to turn of ad blocking and don't bother with the site. I don't need to go there, anyway, is the rationale.
    Jake

What the ad merchants probably do is tuck a bit of javascript, or other code, into the ad they want you to see.

Here are some work arounds for those wanting to try:
    Is There an Undetectable Ad Block?
    Is There an Undetectable Ad Block?

Personally I don't always really mind cookies and ads, especially when I'm looking to buy something and get a good buy.

Even when browsing online and including a lot of the local stores we have, they will often provide feedback and an ad for the item I have been looking for and often on sale.

They've saved me a lot of money over the last few year's.

Some other sites are just pure annoying and of no benefit to me!!!! Those are easily just skipped and bypassed.

- Patrick
    ======

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Just a little addit; I added toolbar bookmarks to Cliqz by simply copying them from the Toolbar Bookmarks Folder in Firefox to the same Folder in Cliqz.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Just a little addit; I added toolbar bookmarks to Cliqz by simply copying them from the Toolbar Bookmarks Folder in Firefox to the same Folder in Cliqz.
    I have tried that, but this only works with individual bookmarks.
    All my bookmarks in the Bookmark Bar are folders, for instance, I have one as a "Mac" folder and in that folder I have Mac related bookmarks that access more or less regularly. The bookmarks in that folder are sorted by priority, ie how often I access them.
    That priority sometimes changes and then I just reshuffle the order - right now this forum is right at the very top of that Mac folder.

To do a copy and paste, I would have to do that with every bookmark in every folder which would take hours.

The odd thing is that my Firefox bookmark Bar was actually imported to Cliqz, but one needs four steps each time to get to it - and then it's a vertical dropdown.
    Cliqz works better in some areas than Brave, but I found that Brave was better in importing user names and passwords from FireFox.

However neither Brave nor Cliqz (or any other browser I tried so far) offers the option of taking a screen shot of the complete web page.
    I find that so useful that I'm going back to FireFox and for now added Ghostery - but I may remove Ghostery again.
    I don't mind the ads as much as I mind tracking - so I'm looking for some plug-in for Firefox that blocks tracking but where I don't keep getting the "Please disable your ad blocker" over and over again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ah, well I don't have any folders in the Toolbar Bookmarks folder but there is a Sidebar view for that, you must put a lot of bookmarks in the toolbar folder, I only have the around twenty I use almost daily.

We all organize out Macs differently.
    On the browser bookmark bar I have 15 folders that are immediately accessible with the size of window I normally use.
    Folders like 'News', 'Shopping', 'Travel', 'Financial', 'Hobby-Forum'. 'Hobby Database', 'Mac', 'Electronics' etc. and each folder has at least 20 bookmarks in it.
    It's a set up that I wouldn't want to do without.

Your Mac's Specs
    Damn, you put me to shame, you are obviously a lot more organized than I am. Merry Christmas anyway, have a safe happy silly season an a healthy, safe New Year

Rod, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays as well - although I don't know how one gets into the Christmas spirit without snow.

But I assume you are used to that.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, rather. At the moment it is 42C (107F) outside and 27C inside and no aircon, pretty tricky little house we have her in Victoria.

Your Mac's Specs
    Happy New Year everybody, back to topic:
    I like to revisit stuff although I am sometimes disappointed. Today i checked in on the Brave Browser (using it now) to discover there has been an update. Current version now; 1.2.43 Chromium
    Zero issues with it at the moment.
    One thing I maybe didn't notice before is the font size is larger than Cliqz which I have been trialling for a while. Investigating this in settings I find that here are 5 font size settings, from very small to very large which is pretty good considering Cliqz has no settings for font size at all.
    I using the "recommended" size which is a little larger than most browser defaults and easier for me to read on the MBP.
    Worth giving it another try????

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks for that update Rod, I use Brave once in a while and controlling font sizes would be a good thing.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information