Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Brave Browser - Ready for Prime Time?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Report back if you hear from them. Be interesting to see what they say.
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Just following on from the previous posts/threads, my curiosity was piqued when Cliqz was mentioned so I downloaded it to try on both my iPhone and MBP, always searching for a better browser.
    My opinion is starting to become that no one browser is going to fulfill all my needs but some are definitely better than others when it comes to privacy which is such a big issue these days.
    Cliqz has some some good points. For example Cliqz uses the Firefox extension gallery rather than the Chrome extension gallery like Brave does. This is a huge advantage for me because I am transitioning from Firefox and I'm familiar with its extensions. Unfortunately i could find no way to import my menu bar bookmarks but there weren't that many.
    Cliqz also has a settings menu (right hand end of the menu bar) that is pretty much identicle to Firefox so my guess is that anyone like me who was a Firfox user will find a move to Cliqz a pretty easy shift and as the promo info says it is Europe's first venture into a European based browser.
    It also comes with its own built in "secure" search engine which has a novel approach, it only shows the top three hits as selected by their search engine. This is often all I need but I have added DuckDuck Go as an alternative and this comes up as an option in any search results so if i dont see what I want I can select the DDG seach instead.
    All up I think I like it more than Brave but I will see how it performs over the next few weeks.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Bookmarks transfer, please Rod?
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Report back if you hear from them. Be interesting to see what they say.
    It's been 10 days now.

Nothing from the Brave support team.
    Seems they are struggling with a ton of problems just in the "Web-Compatibility" category

Web Compatibility - Brave Community

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Unfortunately i could find no way to import my menu bar bookmarks but there weren't that many.
    That killed Cliqz for me - I use menu bar bookmarks several times each and every day.

Since this is a thread about Brave - I have given up on Brave as well.
    Just too many things that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Since this is a thread about Brave - I have given up on Brave as well.
    Just too many things that don't work.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that it took you that long to decide.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

- Patrick
    ======
    LOL, it only took me one day trying it out. I said then that it was not ready for prime time; apparently it's still not.

I guess you can always switch to Microsoft Edge for the Mac.

Your Mac's Specs
    Honestly I didn't/haven't found that to be too arduous. As I need one I open it in Firefox, copy an paste it into Cliqz then save it to the menu bar. Obviously I'm still using 3 browsers, often simultaneously on seperate desktops, so it's no big issue to cut an paste between them.
    I have rid my MBP of all things Google now and I would like to be rid of Firefox. I would ideally like to have an ad free, tracker free browser without the need for extensions like Ghostery or AdGuard. Safari for the things it does well and the ever improving Vivaldi for the things it does well.
    I'm using DuckDuck Go on Safari and Vivaldi but Bing on Cliqz.
    I don't mind ads on Safari and Vivaldi but I don't want to be tracked whereas Ckiqz gets rid of the trackers on Bing.
    That's it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    Oh, yes I didn't mention that I too have kinda put brave on the back burner for now. Just a lot of odd behaviour, nothing specific just kinda WTF moments that I could not explain, although I did not have the autofill problems mentioned by some other members. As for the Startpage.com search engine I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet, too much other stuff going on and it just adds an extra variable.

- Patrick
    ======
    Ha, ha - took me that long to post this on the forum.
    Decision was made a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Honestly I didn't/haven't found that to be too arduous.
    The biggest problem I have with Brave is that I have come across a couple of commercial websites where Brave ends up giving me the wrong information as to availability of product.
    And the issue is that this is not obvious - on another website, the rendering of the page ends up as a mess, but that is obvious and prompts one to try a different browser.
    But on the websites where I get the wrong information, there is no indication that the information Brave presents is wrong - so that is a "definitely can't use" browser.
    I put in a trouble report to Brave 10 days ago - no reply, not even an aknowledgement other than I see a few dozen people have read it.
    All other browsers I tried with the websites where Brave provides the wrong information, work fine including Cliqz.

But on the websites where I get the wrong information, there is no indication that the information Brave presents is wrong - so that is a "definitely can't use" browser.

Hmmm...??? I thought the browser just rendered the webpage that is supplied by the server. Wouldn't that be up to the server and the site to have the correct web page available?

And how could a browser actually display an "incorrect" webpage? Not doubting, just curious...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    That is kind of weird, are you saying that Brave is displaying different content on a web page to what is disayed on another browser? That would imply that there is more than one version of the same web page online. Could it be a case of an earlier version or one not showing current/recent changes?
    One odd thing Brave was doing for me was when doing a search on a different browser clicking on a search result occasionally caused Brave to launch and open said link. Yes I did have Brave as my default at the time but this has never happened with any other browser I have used.

Hmmm...??? I thought the browser just rendered the webpage that is supplied by the server. Wouldn't that be up to the server and the site to have the correct web page available?

And how could a browser actually display an "incorrect" webpage? Not doubting, just curious...
    Patrick,

I explained that in post #59 and the following posts in this thread.

What I wanted to do is to find out if Virgin high speed internet is available at my address.
    So for browsers other than Brave, one starts to type in ones address and as you type, addresses pop up underneath the field where you type with suggestions based on the characters you have already typed.
    At some point your address shows up - I think the addresses that are suggested are pulled from Canada Post - and you select your address from these suggestions that come up.
    That address is then populated on the next page in a somewhat different format and when you click "check address" (or words to that effect), Virgin will come up with either Yeah or Nay - in my case it was "Yeah"

If I do the same thing on Brave, I don't get any suggestions at all, I then get to the end of typing in my address and the message is "Address can't be found"
    It then takes me to the second page (same as the other browsers), but there is nothing pre-filled and I type in my address into the various fields.
    Once that is done and I click on "check address", the answer will come back "Sorry, high speed internet is not available at that address"

But I knew it was because I'm already using it - I was just trying to change providers.
    If that hadn't been the case, I would have taken Virgin Internets feedback using the Brave browser as correct and not checked any further.

What is happening is that the Virgin database of addresses and what internet service is available at that address is set up using the Canada Post address database.
    So if the address is not a 100% match, the Virgin website will come back and say it's not available.

The first step on the Virgin website is to select the Canada Post version of my address - for some reason the Brave browser ignores that bit of code of the Virgin website.
    I initially thought this was a by-product (or by-problem) because of the tracker and ad blocking provided by Brave, but when I tried the same procedure with Cliqz, it worked fine.

There were other issues with Brave as well, the most severe ones I mentioned earlier in this thread.

BTW- this address versification is done by Amazon as well; I just noticed that yesterday when I placed an Amazon order.
    There is brings up the address they pull up from somewhere (I assume it's Canada Post) and they then give one the choice of using the address you typed in or the one they brought up.
    What basically happens is

Thread Information