Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Brave Browser - Ready for Prime Time?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I am very interested in using a browser which does collect a lot stuff from me
    Anything from Google will do that. They collect a ton of stuff from you every time you go to Google, and their browser collects everywhere you go, everything you look at, and every click you make. So if you want a browser that "collects a lot of stuff from me," use Chrome.

On the other hand, if you meant to say "does NOT collect" stuff, avoid Google and Google products at all costs. I have zero of them on my Macs. I don't use Google, or Chrome, or any of the other products from Alphabet.

Safari is pretty good at privacy, I've heard Brave is good, too. I have Brave installed, tried it, didn't like it but didn't hate it, so it gets to stay installed.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 7, iPad 6th generation
    ....avoid Google and Google products at all costs. I have zero of them on my Macs. I don't use Google, or Chrome, or any of the other products from Alphabet..

so am assuming if i were to try using google drive and photos..... those also collect data?

what about gmail? i have all gmail accounts and use apple mail to access them. have been toying with trying to use Gmail app instead of using Apple app for reading my mail.
    so is data collected with that also?

what search engine wuld be best if not using google?
    Last edited by pigoo3; 11-23-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Lori -
    You can pretty much assume that any "free" service collects and uses your data.
    That's basically how they make money, not only to run their servers and pay their staff, but also how they generate huge profits.

DuckDuckGo is the obvious search engine that comes to mind if you want to move away from Google

Your Mac's Specs
    Google scans everything it can touch. So Google drive, Google Photos, gmail, etc, are all constantly cataloged and used by Google.

If you want to avoid google, Duck Duck Go is a pretty good search engine and keeps you anonymous. I have it set in Safari and Brave as my default search engine.

I don't use gmail, never have, I don't use Google for photos.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Discussion seems to have shifted from Brave browser to an email app discussion. Thus an email app discussion thread was created...and email app focused posts were moved to its own thread:

Email App Discussion

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    duckduckgo is great search engine tho there doesn't seem to be option to save in reading list and I do a lot of that. may have to switch.
    I find that when I click on safari icon..instead of using duckduckgo app or even google...I can just type in top search bar. does that make a difference?
    so actually using safari bar for searching and I can bookmark to read list

Your Mac's Specs
    Lori, when you search from the Safari bar, you are using whatever is set as the default search engine. You can see what that is by clicking on the "Safari" in the top bar, then "Preferences" and then the "Seach" page will show what that default is and allow you to change it to what you want.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    oh ok thanks jake...just checked and google is still there...changed to yahoo for now

one day I will not be such a newbie and understand more than I do now,

Quote Originally Posted by lori5060 View Post
    duckduckgo is great search engine tho there doesn't seem to be option to save in reading list and I do a lot of that. may have to switch.
    I find that when I click on safari icon..instead of using duckduckgo app or even google...I can just type in top search bar. does that make a difference?
    so actually using safari bar for searching and I can bookmark to read list
    I don't understand what you mean by "saving a reading list", but on the Brave browser when you launch it, there is also a search bar just above the bookmark bar where you can type in your search query without actually going to DuckDuckGo or Google.

Your Mac's Specs
    I had been using safari and google search engine. when I saw a site that I wanted to look at again and not set a bookmark...I could set it to reading list. still working on all these new things and trying to to get confused.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @krs I think she is referring to the option in Safari that can save a page to a reading list for later use. It's almost like a bookmark but not quite.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thanks Slydude,

I haven't used Safari for a long time, but just checked it and the "Reading List"
    Seems like a great option - does any other browser have that?

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Not that I can think of but there are several browsers out there that I've either never used or used so long ago that they may have changed significantly.

When I wrote my previous post I was trying to think of a way to describe the difference between the bookmark list. For all practical purposes the reading list is essentially a collection of bookmarks. I have a collection of bookmarks going back more than a decade and I'm sure many of them don't work anymore. As a consequence I rarely bookmark things now because I'll never find it. I do use the reading list though to collect things thatI want to read later but will probably only read once or twice.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    @krs I think she is referring to the option in Safari that can save a page to a reading list for later use. It's almost like a bookmark but not quite.
    yes that is exactly what I was talking about. it is an off line reading option.

- - - Updated - - -

I use both bookmarks and reading lists and find them both helpful. every now and then, I edit may bookmarks and delete ones I don't need or use anymore.

More on the Brave browser:

Positive
    I had DuckDuckGo as a tile on the home page and had it pinned
    After using DuckDuckGo for a while, a second DuckDuckGo tile automatically showed up on the home page.
    I felt that if a tile for a website exists already, the browser should not add a second tile for a website especially since the number of tiles than can be displayed is currently limited to six.
    So yesterday, I wrote up a bug report and sent it to the Brave team.
    In most cases, when one sends a trouble/bug report about a website or application, one never hears back, or at most gets a canned reply, like, thnk-youfor your interest.
    Here, within an hour, I not only received a personal reply, I was also asked for more information and a screenshot (which I provided)
    About three hours later I received another email from a different Brave team member explaining the reason why there were two tiles apparently the same.
    One was the pinned one for DuckDuckGo with a URL to the DDg main page which I added, the other the Brave browser system generated based on my browser history, and it was a DDg URL of a search result that I had checked several times, so the favicon that showed in the browser was the same but the URLs were different.
    I was pretty impressed with the quick response by the Brave team - actually impressed that I received a response at all

Negative
    Two issues that I find problematic:
    1. When I'm on a website and I try to modify the text in a field that has text already, I highlight the existing text I want to change and normally, I would just type in the new text, but with Brave, if I just move the mouse ever so slightly, and sometimes I think not at all, the text will scroll extremely fast up or down - much too fast to control.
    This only seems to happen after I highlight existing text in a window on a webpage - scrolling too fast has been mentioned in the Brave discussion group
    2. I sometimes have a problem opening a pdf on a web page - instead of the pdf showing properly, it shows the html code as if I opened the pdf with text wrangler.
    If I copy the pdf link and paste it into FireFox, the page opens the way it should.
    Strangely, that problem does not happen with every pdf.

Thread Information