Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    openoffice problem

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, Sierra 10.12.2
    openoffice problem
    I use openoffice to keep a diary, recently I have included some jpg pics as well, the file size has grown to 100.4MB and now doesnt seem to open even after ~10mins with no other software open, restarts tried. Is there anything I can do or try to open it so I can at least divide it up so it is smaller? Is there a software that could be a more reliable alternative to openoffice? Thanks for help

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    I did a little research into this...and without knowing exact Open Office version numbers (which may make a difference)...it seems like Open Office doesn't like it when individual paragraphs are longer/larger than 65,000 characters...and as you might expect...as an individual document gets larger & larger...the more difficult it is to work with.

One person gave an example of having a document that had:

- 315K paragraphs
    - 18 million words
    - 100 million characters
    - File (.odt) size was 37.4 MB.

This document opened very slowly (10-15 minutes - not timed exactly); when the document was open it could be moved about and edited, but the response was so slow that editing would not be practicable.

In this case the file size = 100.4MB...I would think that with previous sessions using this document...it would have been really really difficult to work with.

Maybe in this case with the file size being soooooo large...maybe you need to give it a lot more time than 10 minutes to open. If it does eventually open...I would think this would be the time to definitely split this single document into a bunch of smaller documents...and maybe for the future give yourself a self-imposed file size limit of some sort (maybe 10MB, maybe 15MB...your choice).

Please let us know how things go. This sounds very interesting...and other folks may run into the same situation.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Is there a software that could be a more reliable alternative to openoffice? Thanks for help
    The Five best Journaling apps for the Mac.

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2017 iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, Mojave OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Applet View Post
    Is there a software that could be a more reliable alternative to openoffice? Thanks for help
    I am not sure about others here, but I have found this useful.

LibreOffice
    Last edited by dtravis7; 04-23-2019 at 07:58 AM.

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMac View Post
    I am not sure about others here, but I have found this useful.

Click Here
    (Note that the Click Here leads to LibreOffice.)

My wife, a Thai attorney, uses LibreOffice. We have yet to use it for huge documents, but it does satisfy the formatting requirements of the sometimes-complex legal documents that she has to create and edit. It also does a good job of handling Thai script. (Open Office and Neo Office did not do as well.)

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2017 iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, Mojave OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    (Note that the Click Here leads to LibreOffice.)
    I should have mentioned that in my post. I am sorry for not doing so.

openoffice problem
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    chscag's link above lists Journey which works very much like a blog site in function, for a one time subscription you get the Mac app or you can use their website for free. My daughter is using the app and swears by it.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I use Libre but just for documents that need to be compatible with Windows PC's. I have never tried anything that large with that many pictures.

openoffice problem

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I did a little research into this...and without knowing exact Open Office version numbers (which may make a difference)...it seems like Open Office doesn't like it when individual paragraphs are longer/larger than 65,000 characters...and as you might expect...as an individual document gets larger & larger...the more difficult it is to work with.

One person gave an example of having a document that had:

- 315K paragraphs
    - 18 million words
    - 100 million characters
    - File (.odt) size was 37.4 MB.

This document opened very slowly (10-15 minutes - not timed exactly); when the document was open it could be moved about and edited, but the response was so slow that editing would not be practicable.

In this case the file size = 100.4MB...I would think that with previous sessions using this document...it would have been really really difficult to work with.

Maybe in this case with the file size being soooooo large...maybe you need to give it a lot more time than 10 minutes to open. If it does eventually open...I would think this would be the time to definitely split this single document into a bunch of smaller documents...and maybe for the future give yourself a self-imposed file size limit of some sort (maybe 10MB, maybe 15MB...your choice).

Please let us know how things go. This sounds very interesting...and other folks may run into the same situation.

Thanks,

- Nick
    thanks for great tips as usual pigoo3 l am not a tech person, but could give tips on fitness, nutrition or FX at interbank rates for most currencies! but sure this is not relevant for this great helpful forum!
    ok, l did give it just over 2 hours to open, with no other software open, but it just refused to open. l had recently added photos, and the pin that seems to have broken the camels back was just couple of days after adding ~4 more photos. is there an alternative software you'd recommend, preferably with a pw protection? or perhaps just using my yahoo email to keep diary as that does have 1000GB space and it does allow me to insert jpgs. opinion?

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    ok, l did give it just over 2 hours to open, with no other software open, but it just refused to open.
    I would have thought that 2 hours would have been enough. I think at this point it sounds like we just need to get this file open once...so you can split it up into smaller files for easier use.

Just a couple quick thoughts:

- How full is the storage in your MacBook Pro?
    - When was the last time some maintenance was done on it?

Maybe for some reason (unrelated to Open Office)...something is preventing this large file from opening.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

openoffice problem

Your Mac's Specs
    pigoo3, what do you mean by maintenance? a long time ago, l had a pc and remember having to do maintenance, like defragments, scan disk (?) didnt know mac needed maintenance, except running malwarebytes about once every 6months? what maintenance is required? l really do want this open office open so l can at least divide it up into smaller pieces or put it all on another more reliable software. recommendations? as l said could even put it on yahoo email which does accept photos, in the normal 'compose' email, just by dragging and dropping. good idea? Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 05.58.32.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-28 at 05.57.48.png

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    pigoo3, what do you mean by maintenance? a long time ago, l had a pc and remember having to do maintenance, like defragments, scan disk (?) didnt know mac needed maintenance, except running malwarebytes about once every 6months?
    Regarding Malwarebytes. Why only run Malwarebytes every 6 months? If there was something problematic on your computer that Malwarebytes could take care of...if you only run Malwarebytes once every 6 months...you could go almost 6 month with a potential issue. If someone has Malwarebytes installed...I would run it much more frequently than every 6 months.

As far as maintenance...only app I really use is Onyx.

- Nick

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs
    I would run malwarebytes weekly but I guess it depends on your browsing habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

openoffice problem
    Your Mac's Specs

openoffice problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post

I concur. In my experience, not only does FreeOffice offer a better word processor than the OpenOffice siblings (LibreOffice, Apache OpenOffice and NeoOffice), but it's translators are far superior. It may have a much easier time opening that file than one of the OpenOffice siblings.
    (I'd give Rod reputation points for this, but for some reason the site won't let me.)

Oh, and if you are interested in doing some routine maintenence on your Mac, have a look at:

Macintosh Routine Maintenence
    OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Though, at this point, if you have a very recent version of the Mac OS, there isn't much left that you need to do.

Lastly, if you are in a pinch, you can download this free text editor:

Tex-Edit Plus (free)
    Trans-Tex Software

and use it to open the file, which it will almost certainly do, but almost all of the formatting will be lost. But that's better than losing the entire file completely.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information