Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Which Ad Blocker are you using?
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    In recent threads related to our combined recent issues logging into MacForums either on a browser or the iOS app the subject of Ad Blockers has come up a few times.

I have mentioned that I have whitelisted MacForums on Safari because I realise this is how it pays for itself and really they're not that much of an inconvenience anyway.

But I have just this week installed AdGuard on my MBPr for all of those sites that are absolutely saturated in ads and actually slow my browser.

AdGuard is a system wide ad blocker with a menu bar icon to allow control of it's functions and it required a helper app specific for Safari.
    So I was wondering what others use and what were people's thoughts on a system wide ad blocker?

AdGuard is also available for iOS and although I haven't tried it myself it would be interesting to see how well it would function across apps like the MacForums app and others.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I was trying AdBlock Plus and Kaboom with Kaboom now off and relying on AdBlock Plus in Safari. I added Magic Lasso today to test it.

AdBlock Plus has been working well for me but today I went to YouTube for the first time in probably two weeks. I noticed that lots of videos do not start as they should when the play button is clicked. If I use Chrome the videos load fine and play (with the ads of course).

I just started troubleshooting this today so I've still got some work to do.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I only use the fully-paid-for version of AdGuard. I've had no problems at all. I only use it on my iMac because where I do 90+ per cent of my browsing.

I used to use AdBlock, then AdBlockPlus along with Ghostery.

As far as I can see AdGuard does the job of all the others - blocks ads according to my wishes, blocks trackers, and blocks "threats". It gives details of the number of these blocked; along with the number of MB of data saved.

It has an Advanced set of options which I quietly ignore. Worth the money, I'd say.

Shouldn't need to say, but will: I have absolutely no connections with this app, financial or otherwise.

Ian

PS I use Safari exclusively (unless a very special need arises for which I use Chrome, normally).
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Hmm, thanks Ian. I though I might try it with anti tracking switched on, I currently use Ghostery but if AdGuard will do the job, well....
    I am also using Duck Duck Go as a search engine more and more which gives quite different results to search sometimes even though I always find what I want if my parameters are tight enough.

Ian are you using the Popup Blocker extension under Preferences > Extensions?

Slydude, I have used AdBlock and AdBlock Plus in the past, after them I was using nothing other than Ghostery for a while but got overloaded on some sites.

I still think Ghostery is a great product which does what it claims to do but things change and new products appear. I am going to put AdGuard on my iPhone as it seems to work well on the MBP and see how good it is. Might save me a bit of data use on 3G if it does what it claims.

Your Mac's Specs
    Oh, and I haven't tried Kaboom at all.
    Anyway I just installed AdGuard on my iPhone and its had one very noticeable effect. I had to try a couple of times to confirm it but I no longer get the full page ad on the MacForums app which used to popup about 10secs after opening the app and take about 5secs before I could exit it. Very annoying. I know its what keeps the lights on but as there is no paid, ad free version and the ads are for things like "Casual Shift Work" and stuff I don't want this is a positive boon. I'm not sure what else it will block but just thought I'd get back with that one.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    AdBlock Plus

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    @Rod

I have no web extensions relating to Ads or tracking etc. 1PW & Evernote are my only extensions.

So, I rely exclusively on AdGuard.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    @Rod

I have no web extensions relating to Ads or tracking etc. 1PW & Evernote are my only extensions.

So, I rely exclusively on AdGuard.

Ian
    Check in the settings of AdGuard > Preferences > Extensions. You will find there are optional extensions to the app, one of which is a popup blocker. I've turned it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    Oh, I beg your pardon, Rod, I thought you were referring to Safari extensions. There, I only have 1PW & Evernote. I got rid of all the Adblock etc extensions.

But within AdGuard itself; yes - I have all three ticked and I also use "Stealth Mode" which only became available very recently as an integral part of AdGuard.

If, for whatever reason, you don't see it, you can go to their website where it explains its functions and, if you like it, download it from there when it will become integrated into the AdGuard app itself. No extra cost.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    No worries, I take then you are using the paid for version. I'm just on the free version as I'd never tried it before. So far though I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, I have the paid version.

Ian
    Ian

I don't know if it will work with Safari, But I just went throughSome ad blocker trialsTo fix a problem I was havingSpecifically with this site.
    See that thread here: Can any admin explain what the row of grey graphics is all about I seem to be getting

The blocker that did work completely and properly and fast was Adblocker Genesis Plus.

So far I haven't experienced any problems with it and have ended up disabling all the others I had been using or tried: AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, Fair AdBlocker.

Using Mavericks 10.9.5 and Google Chrome.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, bunch of iOS devices.
    Ublock, which is a Chrome extension. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lee_Bo; 04-20-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums.

Note.. that we have an iOS app that you can try instead of TapaTalk.

It's available for free in the app store: mac-forums app.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Yes, I have the paid version.
    For some time, I had been using the AdBlock Safari extension - then upgraded to Mojave & Safari 12.x on all of our Macs - wife was also complaining about 'ad blocking' on a number of her news sites - also, Apple had changed their 'Safari extension policies' w/ the newest browser version, as discussed on the AdGuard Website back in September 2018 - they have come out w/ a Safari extension, which I've put on my computers (first pic below); of course as Ian has stated, an AdBlock app is offered as a standalone paid product, which I've not tried - but would be curious how much more the latter offers over AdGuard's revised Safari extension? Thanks for any comments - would certainly not have a problem switching to the app. Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 2.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 2.10.57 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information