Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Which Ad Blocker are you using?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    That other Mac Forums has been around for years. I remember checking on it for maybe Schweb and even made an account there which I do not even remember. I remember we were all sort of shocked how similar it was to our own Mac-Forums except no Hyphen in the name.

As far as the mac-forums.org it will disapear when the domain registration runs out. My friend paid for a year or 2. It's just sitting there.

The FB group is still around in case we have issues here so we can communicate with users.

Funny I just went to that other Mac Forums and tried to log in. said i did not exist so tried to register and it went nutz! Grin
    Last edited by dtravis7; 04-21-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I too remember when there was confusion about those other forums. I can't remember if I ever made an account there or not. Anyway, it seems dead.

Hey Dennis.... Go to: https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/premium.php

And click on some of those old links toward the bottom: RE: "Overclockers" "Windows Secrets"

Should bring back some old memories for you. Looks like both the Overclockers and Windows forums that used to belong to iNET and then Penton now have their own forums once more.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Well, it was interesting to come across it like that.

I had that second of confusion thinking what the heck have I done.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod Sprague; 04-22-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Mojave. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Just came across this thread, which I found very interesting and informative, and I have conducted a, not so scientific, study with virtually all that have been mentioned here and also some found elsewhere.

The only combination, which works well across the board for me, and also on the worst possible site I have ever come across (Go on have a look at Technology reviews, advice, videos, news and forums - Tech Advisor) is Ghostery and uBlock Origin together with Firefox as my browser though they are not as effective with Safari.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time.

The only combination, which works well across the board for me, and also on the worst possible site I have ever come across (Go on have a look at Technology reviews, advice, videos, news and forums - Tech Advisor)...[]Technology reviews, advice, videos, news and forums - Tech Advisor

What's so bad about that site that you don't like??

My understanding that it is run by IDG Publications which is also responsible for Mac|Life Magazine that I subscribed to, But not too often do I visit their "https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/" site.

Anyway just curious, and if it's really as bad as you say it is, why are you continually going there???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    My understanding that it is run by IDG Publications which is also responsible for Mac|Life Magazine that I subscribed to, But not too often do I visit their "https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/" site.
    Mac|Life Magazine is published by "Future Publishing Limited" which has an address in the UK and New York. I believe IDG Publications sold out some time ago.

Your Mac's Specs
    What's so bad about that site that you don't like??

Sorry, a poor choice of words.

I have been a member and contributed to the site for over 20 years as a PC user and have no issue whatsoever with the content of the site. It is the highly intrusive advertising that is the problem. Without any ad blocking it is extremely slow to load and each page is full of adverts along with pop ups and continually playing videos. There have been numerous threads started by members about it but they are always told that if it wasn't for the advertising there would be no site.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Mac|Life Magazine is published by "Future Publishing Limited" which has an address in the UK and New York. I believe IDG Publications sold out some time ago.

I believe you are correct Charlie. I think I was possibly thinking of MacWorld or MacUser, the latter of the two I believe became Mac|Life Magazine.

- Patrick
    ======

There have been numerous threads started by members about it but they are always told that if it wasn't for the advertising there would be no site.

Fair enough, but there is a limit that should not be exceeded. Otherwise the ads can become negative for the advertisers and result in lower income from lack of sales.

That sounds like a good site for you to have blacklisted and all the excess ads blocked with your ad blocker.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    That sounds like a good site for you to have blacklisted and all the excess ads blocked with your ad blocker.
    I agree. I have run into sites that immediately complain about my ad-blocker being on and by my not turning it off, the site refuses to allow access. In those cases, I make it a point not to visit that site again and instead find an alternate. I can understand that ads supply revenue for sites and that it's part of doing business, but sites that have excess ads are just not worth visiting.

I can understand that ads supply revenue for sites and that it's part of doing business, but sites that have excess ads are just not worth visiting.

Call me dense or dumb but what I don't get get is how does a webpage site get paid if no-one clicks on any of the ads they are displaying??

If most webpages use Cost Per Click (CPC) or Pay-per-click (PPC) which seems to be the most popular, what's the difference between not clicking on any ad or hiding it from view with an ad blocker in the first place?

Well OK, maybe an interesting ad may possibly show up at some point that may get clicked but that doesn't seem too likely as so many ads I see are so static.

Or do some websites get paid just exposing the ad(s) and get paid according to the number of visitors?? In such cases if so, I would think that they would need a huge number of visitors to generate much revenue.

Obviously I am not very aware as to how Paid ads work on some webpages.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I think it's the advertisers themselves who drive that attitude. After all, if an advertiser is paying a site to post their ads and the ads are not being seen, (poor sales) they rightly complain and probably threaten to remove their business.

I was amazed the other day when on the news they gave an example in US dollars how much money Facebook makes on advertising revenue.

I was amazed the other day when on the news they gave an example in US dollars how much money Facebook makes on advertising revenue.

No kidding!!!
    With more than $1 billion per quarter in advertising revenue and 1.2 billion monthly active users, few realize that Facebook is more than just a social networking site – it's a shrewdly run corporation, worth more than $100 billion.
    How Does Facebook Make Its Money?

And some wonder why they are so bullish and arrogant!!! MONEY!!! And POWER!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    This is the site without adblockers. That page took 8 seconds to load. Bottom right is a continuous video playing. Every so often additional pop ups will appear.

Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 11.05.43.png

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Just reporting back on my experience/experiment with AdGuard:

First let me stress this is the standalone, system wide application.

It is fantastic, works on all browsers and sites and any app which may show advertising at startup.

It's even better on iOS for games and free versions of apps that display annoying full page ads on launch, including the MacForums app.

But, the two week trial period is over and to obtain a licence it would cost me $24.95/month charged yearly.

I wrote a short email to support stating that although ads are distracting and the app's additional functions like tracking, phishing and malware protection are all very good I can get those functions from free apps and search engines.

After all my VPN (Express) is a top of the line product and works across platforms for 5 devices and only costs a third of their yearly subscription fee.

So I have downloaded their free extension for Safari, re enabled Ghostery on Firefox (there is an extension for AdGuard) and I will see how it performs.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information