Thread: Apple News+

Apple News+
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Apple News+
    I live in Thailand so it's not easy to come by US publications. So, I was somewhat thrilled at the prospect of Apple's News+. So much to choose from for so little money.

I already have digital subscriptions to The New Yorker and other US publications. I figured I could ditch some of those and save money with just News+.

Well, no. Yeah, it looks like your can read the entire New Yorker on News+, but then you discover that it's not the full New Yorker, just the cover and a bunch of articles. All the local columns are missing. That's the stuff that interests me because it enables a sort of cultural connection with what's going on back home. I'll never dine at any of the restaurant's in Hannah Goldfarb's "Tables For Two" column, but I enjoy reading it very much. (This week's column discusses Au Cheval, the New York branch of a Chicago burger joint with a French name.)

Well, "Tables For Two" isn't in the News+ version of The New Yorker and neither are many of the other features I enjoy. So, I'm keeping my New Yorker subscription and still deciding about News+.

Apple News+
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    There's quite a bit of criticism regarding Apple's News+. As you found out, some magazines do not offer a complete overview of the publication. And it appears that the New York Times and Washington Post have refused to participate. I like subscribing to digital copies of certain publications as I find it easier to read them on my large screen Mac. However, there are other publications that I receive which I still prefer a paper copy.

I remember the years I spent living in Hawaii and how long it took for publications to reach me by mail. A current issue of a magazine was quite a bit out of date by the time I got to read it, so I wonder how out of date US magazines are when they reach you in Thailand?

Apple News+
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I remember the years I spent living in Hawaii and how long it took for publications to reach me by mail. A current issue of a magazine was quite a bit out of date by the time I got to read it, so I wonder how out of date US magazines are when they reach you in Thailand?
    I don't get any paper magazines here in Thailand. The cost is prohibitive. The Bangkok post (I live 250K from Bangkok) arrives close to Noon, so I have a digital subscription to that, as well.

When I lived on Saipan my New Yorkers would arrive once a month or so in batches of four or five. I'd stack them on my nightstand and read them, cover-to-cover, in order.

I think there's a Somerset Maugham story about a British colonial official who tried to avoid going crazy by doing the same thing.

Didn't work for me....

Thread Information