https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean My Mac X

Clean My Mac X
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Clean My Mac X
    I know over time there has been some general disapproval of third party "cleaning" apps for macOS and often for good reason. We openly promote OnyX and Malwarebytes but still frown on Clean My Mac.

I think this app which I have been using since inception and now in its fourth incarnation as CleanMyMac X has proved itself to be a helpful tool with no more potential to cause harm than OnyX if you use it with care.

Every "Smart" clean can be tailored to omit some files if desired eg. email attachments. The interface is easy to use and looks great.
    It's Maintainence menu allows you to pick the actions you want such as reindexing Spotlight, DNS Cache flush and Time Machine snapshot thinning.

The Uninstaller does a great job of removing apps and all associated files in 99% of cases and the Optimisation menu allows viewing and management of Login Items and Launch Agents.

In the last update some refinements were added to a new feature called Space Lens which shows disk usage in a novel way allowing you to identify the largest storage users and give you the opportunity to thin these files out, a little like a simplified version of Daisy Disk.

At all times explanations are available about what you are about to delete and that data is viewable in a finder window.

It is possible to update all apps (not just Apple apps) and weather you choose to go this way is entirely up to the user, personally I choose not to although I have tried it. At the very least it provides a complete list of apps that have pending updates.

There is also a Malware scanner and RAM optimiser built into Smart Scan, if you choose to use them.

All together CMM X is a very user friendly "one stop shop" app with a lot of easy to use convenient built in features and options.

If it poses any risks they are in that once it deletes something it's gone. Not in the trash, gone. And of course user error.
    Like all tools it has the potential to do harm if used the wrong way but I can attest to the fact that what it does it does quickly and well. It's certainly not intrinsically harmful and the developers have gone to every length to make it both informative and intuitive.

As always a backup prior to using is advised, especially until you get the hang of setting preferences.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It may be a great app Rod, but it still costs $34.95 for a single license while OnyX is free. Add a free malware scanner, and the free AppCleaner.app, and well, you get what I'm trying to say.....

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I agree, the ease of doing harm, has led to me to recommend Maintenance (also from Titanium), instead of OnyX.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Why do you even need a general external maintenance tool for OS X?

Years ago, OS X had a built in maintenance routine that run in the wee hours of the morning if your Mac was not shut down and if it was shut down, it was supposed to run when the Mac was booted up again.
    The latter apparently didn't always work, but I leave my Mac on 24/7 and haven't found any need to run any external maintenance routines.

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Years ago, OS X had a built in maintenance routine that run in the wee hours of the morning if your Mac was not shut down and if it was shut down, it was supposed to run when the Mac was booted up again.
    Those were called "maintenance scripts".

Here's a pretty good article regarding Mac maintenance. Parts of the article mention "CleanMyMac X". Not sure if the author is recommending CleanMyMac X...or plugging CleanMyMac X. But there's a lot of interesting info in the article:

Why you should run maintenance scripts on macOS and how to do it

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    For mine still have Macaroni installed and this shows the scripts are still being done automatically, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Repair Permissions etc.

Otherwise I am with Bob using Maintenance, a lighter operation of Onyx.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I agree, the ease of doing harm, has led to me to recommend Maintenance (also from Titanium), instead of OnyX.

+1!!! I only use OnyX.app as a possible last resource if and when something might go a bit goofy.

And, I know quite a few users who have used and rely on varios versions of "CleanMyMac" and all are very satisfied with it.

I used to use parts of "CleanMyMac" in it's free unpaid mode which could be quite useful.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-12-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    For mine still have Macaroni installed and this shows the scripts are still being done automatically, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Repair Permissions etc.

Otherwise I am with Bob using Maintenance, a lighter operation of Onyx.

Macaroni was a great app, but I now just rely on doing a Safe Boot once a week and then Restarting that seems to do even more purging and cleanup, at least with Mavericks and maybe with later OS versions as well.

If interested, have a look and read here:
    How to run Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts
    Why you should run maintenance scripts on macOS and how to do it

OPPPs... my apologies for duplicating the same URL link that Nick posted above. Sorry Nick.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-12-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It may be a great app Rod, but it still costs $34.95 for a single license while OnyX is free. Add a free malware scanner, and the free AppCleaner.app, and well, you get what I'm trying to say.....
    Yes, fully agree, I omitted to include that in my negatives. Of course I bought it a long time ago so I don't think of it.

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

But it's also listed as "Shareware", so a user's option and I dare say some users prefer using a single app even if it does cost a bit.
    CleanMyMac X 4.4.0 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

- Patrick
    ======

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    It does say free download, but note the $39.95 price tag on the right. The 'free download' started with Windows to con folk.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    It certainly does cost money and I should have included that as one of the down sides of the app but I notice a strong focus here on using CMM X to rum "Maintainence scripts" and that is one thing I personally don't use CMM X for.

I have tried some of its scripts and found they didn't do any harm but I still use OnyX for that purpose.

I use CCM X mostly for storage management and now with the new feature Space Lens it's even better. I use Smartvclean on average once a week and it regularly removes 2-4Gb of stuff from Photos Trash, System Trash, DNS Cache etc.
    It is a very good Uninstaller and reviewer of old files and apps. The fact that I can pick and choose multiple actions all from the same app is very convenient and I'm sure very few people would use all of its functions but choose the ones they want.
    Also I should say I don't use the "Helper" app it's unnecessary for me and hogs memory.

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    It does say free download, but note the $39.95 price tag on the right. The 'free download' started with Windows to con folk.

If I read the site page correctly, the price for Clean My Mac has sure gone up from when I used to use at least some small parts if it.
    CleanMyMac X: The Best Mac Cleanup App for macOS. Get a Cleaner Mac in Minutes.

I'm not sure if I'm being shown the Canadian pricing, But they seem quite excessive and out of line for a Mac utility:

The $54.30 seems to be only for a 1-Year Subscription, ouch!!
    The One-Time Purchase License for 1 Mac is a whopping $108.67 now!!! Yikes!!!

Either price seems rather excessive when converted to Canadian dollars. $54.30usd = $70.08cdn $109.00usd = $140.67cdn

If I recall correctly it used to be around $35.00±usd quite a few years ago.

Oh well, our local gas prices just took a huge jump towards the ceiling.

- Patrick
    ======

Clean My Mac X
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Oh well, our local gas prices just took a huge jump towards the ceiling.
    Come and live here and you might find that your prices are rather modest.

Ian
    Ian

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The price above that I quoted for Clean My Mac X is for a one year subscription.

Single Mac, one year subscription = $34.95 US

One Time Purchase, single Mac = $89.95 US

Canadian and Australian prices will be higher depending on the current exchange rate.

Why anyone would want to pay those prices for an application that does not do anything more than what users can get for free is beyond me.

And yes Patrick, gasoline prices have risen here also. Although they are generally a bit less expensive in Texas than some other states.

Thread Information