Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clean My Mac X

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    ...if your usage is routine, if you never engage in "risky" behaviour like clicking on links to unknown sites or from untrusted sources and take all the appropriate precautions you may never need maintainenece apps and the routines that do run automatically may suffice. However if not then these "cleaning" or repair/maintenance routines may well prevent a lot of problems.
    "Maintenance" and anti-malware are two entirely different things.

Visiting dodgy Web sites does not cause you to have to run maintenance. Though it may require that you run anti-malware or at least anti-adware software.

The Macintosh has several different anti-maiware routines built-in, and they are fairly effective, but they look for little or no adware.

This is what is built-in to recent versions of the Mac OS to thwart malware:

XProtect/File Quarantine/Gatekeeper/MRT/SIP

Gatekeeper (macOS) - Wikipedia
    Gatekeeper (macOS) - Wikipedia
    About the "Are you sure you want to open it?" alert (File Quarantine / Known Malware Detection) in OS X - Apple Support
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1165...atekeeper.html
    The Safe Mac
    >> Mac Malware Guide : How does Mac OS X protect me?

https://eclecticlight.co/2018/01/20/...your-mac-from/
    https://eclecticlight.co/2017/12/21/...ally-released/
    https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/20...otect-malware/
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Clean My Mac X
    Macs are growing more and more to not need much or any routine maintenance.

I've found that doing an occasional Shutdown and then a fresh boot seems to help keep things running well, in fact I now do it weekly as part of my Sunday am Mac "maintenance" routine.

Otherwise my iMac is on 24/7 but sleep it at night.

- Patrick
    ======

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Funny you should ask. I have an entire Web site devoted to that:

OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Recent Macs don't need much. You no longer need to repair permissions, as they are now immutable.

Some folks like to run Disk Warrior, but unless you have a problem that can't be fixed using Disk Utility/First Aid, I don't think that it is worth purchasing anymore.

Macs are growing more and more to not need much or any routine maintenance.
    Particularly Randy as Alsoft have yet to come up with a version to rebuild APFS disks using their Disk Warrior..
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Funny you should ask. I have an entire Web site devoted to that:

OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting
    Tons of good information - takes a while to digest.

Don't know if this is mentioned in defragmentation, but when I do a back up with either CCC or SD, I found that the back up has essentially no fragmentation compared to the drive I made the backup from.

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Particularly Randy as Alsoft have yet to come up with a version to rebuild APFS disks using their Disk Warrior..
    Yes, it's a real drama going on there. Apple is withholding some of the specs for APFS, making it practically impossible for Alsoft to update Disk Warrior for APFS.

However, the good news is the whole point of APFS is to make the Mac's file system more robust. So, if you are using APFS, you may never have the need for Disk Warrior.
    Randy B. Singer

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Tons of good information - takes a while to digest.

Don't know if this is mentioned in defragmentation, but when I do a back up with either CCC or SD, I found that the back up has essentially no fragmentation compared to the drive I made the backup from.

Yes, I do mention this on my Routine Maintenance Web site. Cloning a hard drive and then copying everything back to the original drive is a [long] way to defragment a rotating disk hard drive, but it isn't as good a way to accomplish that as using iDefrag to defragment your hard drive is. The Mac OS's Unix underpinnings like to have certain things is certain places for the best performance. Cloning is sort of a random way to defragment things, while iDefrag applies some rules to the defragmentation so that everything is optimized for best performance.

Of course, the above is all moot if you are using an SSD. SSD's don't need to be defragmented, and in fact attempting to defragment an SSD might seriously negatively impact it's lifespan.
    Randy B. Singer

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Like I said... :-)
    -> About This Mac -> Storage -> Manage -> Recommendations -> Reduce Clutter and look around therein.
    Anything else, leave it up to the Mac. Certainly if running anything that’s reasonably new.
    Lots of people coming from a Windows background want to do the same to their macs.
    Rule 1. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”
    Rule 2. Refer to rule 1

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Clean My Mac X
    Anything else, leave it up to the Mac. Certainly if running anything that’s reasonably new.
    Lots of people coming from a Windows background want to do the same to their macs.
    Rule 1. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”
    Rule 2. Refer to rule 1

Now, if only some of the Apple OS and app developers and their bosses would heed either rule.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Now, if only some of the Apple OS and app developers and their bosses would heed either rule.

- Patrick
    ======
    How true !!!!

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Yes, it's a real drama going on there. Apple is withholding some of the specs for APFS, making it practically impossible for Alsoft to update Disk Warrior for APFS.
    I'm not sure that even if Disk Warrior should somehow figure out how to repair APFS drives, that it's worth paying $119.95 for a single license. And, as you stated, APFS formatting is much more robust and resistant to corruption.

Clean My Mac X
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm not sure that even if Disk Warrior should somehow figure out how to repair APFS drives, that it's worth paying $119.95 for a single license.

You are exactly right. My feeling is that unless your data is very important, and you don't have a backup (and you should), making Disk Warrior a viable last resort, that the money that you would apply to purchasing Disk Warrior is best applied towards a new hard drive. Because even if Disk Warrior repairs your hard drive, a hard drive that was so badly munged that it required Disk Warrior to fix it probably can't be relied on again.
    Randy B. Singer

Clean My Mac X
    I'm not sure that even if Disk Warrior should somehow figure out how to repair APFS drives, that it's worth paying $119.95 for a single license.

I'm not sure that I would even be purchasing the DW version 5.x as an update that I could qualify for even at at the Upgrade price of $59.95, that's still a pretty steep price for some questionable features.

And who knows if they ever made their v. 5 upgrades easier than their old v. 4.x bizarre methods were.

Anyway, I had a good long run with various versions over the year, and it certainly paid for itself. It's too bad that Apple can't help Alsoft out a little bit more.

- Patrick
    ======

Clean My Mac X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    It's disappointing that Disk Warrior doesn't really handle APFS but that's not the deal breaker for me. I had stopped using it before APFS became the issue. Here's what did it for me:

As you know disk utilities need to be kept up to date in order to truly be useful. In fact, using an out-of-date utility can do more harm than good. One year they released a new version and I realized that I hadn't used the program since the previous version had been released. I attribute that to a little bit of luck and a decent backup strategy thanks in part to Time Machine.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information