Changing file names automatically
    Hello,

Sorry to bother you!

I want to do something to a bunch of txt files on a Mac,.... I believe there would be an easy way to do it, but I really do not know how to look for a solution

Any help is really appreciated.

So, I have around 5000 files whose names are of the following format Shaw (1928).txt or Twain (1920-1923). txt

I would like to rename them, all of them at once namely to move the () in front. The outcome should be (1928)Shaw.txt or 1928Shaw I do not care if the parenthesis is kept or the blank etc, but I want the number in front. Its there a way to do this quickly?

thanks

Changing file names automatically
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Hi AnaNic - batch renaming can be done in Finder-Info Here - e.g. see first pic below - select the files, hit the 'Action Icon' and select 'Rename...' - there are a number of format and sequence choices but are limited (I've used the feature for just a half dozen or fewer files - 5000 may be a bit much, don't know; also, the options likely will not do what you want) - but others may find the link helpful.

Now your second choice is to search at the App store (see 2nd pic w/ the search words) - there are much more powerful 'batch renamers' but may cost a little money - I use to use one years ago but forgot its name. Hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ more specific recommendations - good luck. Dave
    Rename1.png
    Rename2.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi AnaNic - batch renaming can be done in Finder-Info Here - e.g. see first pic below - select the files, hit the 'Action Icon' and select 'Rename...
    I use that Mac "rename" feature a fair amount, but the renaming options are limited.

I don't see how one could use it to accomplish what AnaNic wants to do so I didn't even suggest that.

I would think Mac Automator is the way to go in this case.

Thread Information