Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Automatic page numbering in MS Word ?
    I haven't used MS Word a lot in the last several years and wonder if there is some expertise here to point me in the right direction.

We have a 250 page document where we wish to show the page number as "Page 1. Page 2 etc.
    The page numbering also needs to be at the bottom outside, alternating between left and right so that it is always on the outer edge when the document is printed.

MS Word seems to be very restrictive, it lets me do what I want if I use the page number only. Is there any trick to replace the page number with "Page ##"?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Anything here help? https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...umbers-in-word
    I seem to recall a footer formatting option to have not only the number but options for text there as well.
    Jake

This is little bit of a hack, but it works. Go ahead and add the page numbers like you normally would with Insert->Page Numbers. Then, double-click on the numbers (1, 2, etc) that appear on any of the pages to enter the Header/Footer editor. Now click on the number to get a text selection box and move the cursor to before the number and enter the word Page. You will now have Page # on each of the pages.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    This is little bit of a hack, but it works. Go ahead and add the page numbers like you normally would with Insert->Page Numbers. Then, double-click on the numbers (1, 2, etc) that appear on any of the pages to enter the Header/Footer editor. Now click on the number to get a text selection box and move the cursor to before the number and enter the word Page. You will now have Page # on each of the pages.
    I don't find this to be a "little bit of a hack" at all, and it works perfectly.

Well, at least so far when all the page numbers are on the right and there is nothing else in the footer.

But the footer also has a long horizontal line in it plus a bit of text, and when I then change the numbering with the "Page" text add, things go a bit haywire.
    The horizontal line which was above the footer text moves below the text, so I have to see if I can fiddle with this a bit to get it where it is supposed to be.

I also wanted to centre the text in the footer, but the normal left justified/right justified/centre option in Word for normal text doesn't seem to work for text in the footer.

In any case, thank you very much for this tip.

Your Mac's Specs
    I think you can select the text in the footer, then the left/center/right options work. At least that's how I remember it.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @krs

Would this help?

Insert Page Numbers > which in my Office 2016 brings up this window:

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 9.14.57 pm?.png

Under Alignment, you have various choices in including "Inside" and "Outside" (as shown above).

Would that suit your needs?

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I think you can select the text in the footer, then the left/center/right options work. At least that's how I remember it.
    I had tried that, both with the ribbon option and the alignment in paragraph option.
    Selected the text, then tried to centre it - nothing happens.
    I can move the text manually using the space bar, any of the font options work, but not the alignment

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    @krs

Would this help?

Insert Page Numbers > which in my Office 2016 brings up this window:

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 9.14.57 pm?.png

Under Alignment, you have various choices in including "Inside" and "Outside" (as shown above).

Would that suit your needs?

Ian
    That's what I'm using - Word 2011 brings up the same window.

Works great if there is only the page number; also worked if I add "Page" and select alignment 'right', but when I add "Page" and select alignment 'outside' things get messed up, it seems because of the other footer text.
    Maybe the other footer text is too long now that "Page ###" could go on either side of the page.
    I need to play with this a little to see what will work.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, krs.

I've never written a book. I have written scientific papers and book chapters, but the Editors chose all the formatting and layout.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    I have Office365, latest version of Word. Opened a new document, clicked on Insert on the TOPBAR, not in the window with the document itself, then Page numbers and was presented with a menu box of options. When I clicked on the "Alignment" option I got five choices: Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 4.51.18 PM.png
    You can also see in the little image of the page to the right that the page number is moved to the center. It does move with the option.

I don't know if it works the same in your version of Word, but try the menu items on the Top Bar to see if that gets you the choice you want.
    Jake

Thanks Jake, the alignment options of the page number itself works fine, where alignment doesn't work is with the text body in the footer.

And separate from that issue, when I add the page number as "Page ###" and then select 'outside', things get messed up because of the footer text.

All Right!!!

I'm getting somewhere.
    Seems the person who created this document knows even less about Word than I do.
    I deleted everything in the footer and started from scratch.

Adding the word "Page" as suggested earlier workes fine with no other text in the footer
    Then selecting "outside" worked fine as well.
    And then, when I clicked in the footer to add text, the cursor showed up on the left side.
    By using the left justify/right justify/centre options, the cursor moved to the correct positions.
    I then retyped the text and now I can move that retyped text using the left justify/right justify/centre options.

Only problem is if I use right or left justify, the footer text runs into the word "Page" - it would have been OK if I just used the page number alone.
    But for this document we want the footer text to be centralized, so all is good and perfect.

Thanks all for the help - great teamwork!

Thread Information