Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MS Word 2011 won't open MS Word file, but every other Word app does
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bit of a stretch, but you COULD always sign up for Office 365 for a month, install Word from there, open the document, do what you need to do, then cancel the Office365 subscription (Word from Office365 will quit working then). Not pretty, but at least you can do what you want to do with that document.

Longer term, I think you need to work with the person who sent it to you to get to some compatible format you both can open and use.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Longer term, I think you need to work with the person who sent it to you to get to some compatible format you both can open and use.
    That's the key issue.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Bit of a stretch, but you COULD always sign up for Office 365 for a month, install Word from there, open the document, do what you need to do, then cancel the Office365 subscription (Word from Office365 will quit working then). Not pretty, but at least you can do what you want to do with that document.
    I was thinking of doing that - just a bit of a hassle.
    As I mentioned, right now were are using a pdf file as a work-around

I mentioned that already in post 11 of this thread.
    But first I would like to understand exactly why there is a problem - seems to be more than just incompatibility especially after the last few tries with Pages and Libre Office.

Your Mac's Specs
    Frankly, it sounds more and more like a file issue rather than an application issue. You really don't know that Pages opened it properly at all and given the recent symptoms of different file sizes and changes in behavior when trying to open it after exporting from other applications, it's looking more and more like something strange in the file.
    Jake

For anyone interested.............

We started testing....

The document was created in MS Word that is part of MS Office 365 Personal, i.e., MS Word for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11328.20220) 32-bit.

When the sender opens the MS Word doc, it shows that it is in "Compatibility Mode".
    From within MS Word, the sender can check the doc for compatibility with (Windows) Word 97-2003, Word 2007 or Word 2010.
    Based on this, we suspect that my software version is Word 2010 (pretty old...), but it should be compatible with MS Word 2011 for the Mac which came out in October 2010.

I asked the sender to send me just the first 6 pages of the problem document and also a few pages of a new ocument created with the same version of MS Word to see which ones would open and which ones would not.

I received three documents:
    1. MS Word file with first 6 pages of "problem" document
    2. MS Word document just created today (with about 7 pages).
    3. MS Word document created today using Save As 97-2003 format.

Turns out all three opened just fine.

So I would think it's either
    a. The length of the document, 255 pages, or
    b. Some graphics or images further along in the document, or
    c. Some corruption of the file......except why would it ten open in Pages Nd Preview and LibreOffice????

We will keep at it with a few more tests.

I will also take a closer look at the version that opened in Pages which is only half the size of the original document.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Very interesting and useful feedback, krs. Thanks.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The document was created in MS Word that is part of MS Office 365 Personal, i.e., MS Word for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11328.20220) 32-bit.
    That's interesting because the current version of MS Office 365 Personal, MS Word, is 16.23 (190309) and is 64 bit. I didn't think that any version of Office 365 Personal was 32 bit? Either that, or your sender is using an out of date version of Office. I'm not sure that would make a difference though but I just thought I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That's interesting because the current version of MS Office 365 Personal, MS Word, is 16.23 (190309) and is 64 bit. I didn't think that any version of Office 365 Personal was 32 bit? Either that, or your sender is using an out of date version of Office. I'm not sure that would make a difference though but I just thought I would mention it.
    I was initially confused about that as well - I thought MS Office 365 is a fairly recent subscription version of MS Word, but when I look at the Wiki it turns out that version is also 8 to 9 years old, so it seems to me it could very well be a 32-bit verrsion.
    Office 365 - Wikipedia

But since 6 pages of the"problem" document opened with no problems, I would think the issue has nothing to do with the actual version of MS Word but rather with the size and/or content.

One other tidbit -
    When I opened the file with Pages and then saved it as a .docx document, the file size showed as around 800K whereas the original was about 1.4 M - and that saved file no longer opens.
    However, if I save that same file I opened with Pages as a Pages document, the file size shows as 1.6 M and the file opens fine in Pages.
    So the Pages export to MS Word format messes things up as well.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    When I opened the file with Pages and then saved it as a .docx document, the file size showed as around 800K whereas the original was about 1.4 M - and that saved file no longer opens.
    However, if I save that same file I opened with Pages as a Pages document, the file size shows as 1.6 M and the file opens fine in Pages.
    So the Pages export to MS Word format messes things up as well.
    I have had the same problem with documents that I tried to convert to Pages from docx or doc. Reluctantly, we have had to subscribe to Office 365 in order to keep continuity with our older Word documents and newer ones that we receive. However, we have had no such problem with Powerpoint documents, even older ones, opening them with Keynote.

Your Mac's Specs
    Office365 Word for the Mac is a 64 bit application. I just checked it on my system. Version 16.23 is the latest. I couldn't find any reference to 64/32 bit in that Wiki, so I don't know where you are getting that information, but Word 16.23 as it is on my system is definitely 64 bit. Now maybe the Windows version is still 32 bit, but that would be very strange for MS to update the Mac version before the Windows version.

Notwithstanding the issue with the 32/64 bits, I think the issue is on the system that sent you the document, not on your system.
    Jake

This is Office 365 from 2010.

According to Microsoft:
    Office 2010 was the first release where Office offered both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The 32-bit version is Office is installed automatically. However, the version that’s right for you depends on how you plan to use Office. If you have specific add-ins that you use in the 32-bit version of Office, they might not work in 64-bit Office and vice versa. If you’re concerned, check your current version of Office before installing the new one. Consider testing the add-in with 64-bit Office, or checking if a 64-bit version of the add-in is available from the vendor/developer.
    Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office - Office Support

As to where the problem lies - it can't really be the system that sent me the document, if that were the case the document would not open with LibreOffice or Pages or Preview either.

This is a document that is being edited as we speak, the latest version I received an hour ago now opens fine on the Mac with MS Word 2011.
    The only difference really is that a lot of tables, which were previously embedded images in .png, have now been retyped as a table in Word.
    The size of the document (same content and number of pages as before) is now 565 KB instead of 1.4 MB.
    My assumption now is that the almost 1.0 MB of .png images embedded in the document previously caused the problem when trying to open the file with Mac MS Word 2011.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    This is Office 365 from 2010.

According to Microsoft:

Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office - Office Support
    But that is for the Windows version of Office 2010, you say you have Mac version 2011. Not that it's critical, but MS keeps changing stuff so it's important to compare version for version.

As to where the problem lies - it can't really be the system that sent me the document, if that were the case the document would not open with LibreOffice or Pages or Preview either.
    Sort of, but you never inspected the entire document in either of those before you exported it out again, at least as I read the sequence. Again, may not be critical, but I don't think we can KNOW for sure that it wasn't the source system as a problem from what we know.

This is a document that is being edited as we speak, the latest version I received an hour ago now opens fine on the Mac with MS Word 2011.
    The only difference really is that a lot of tables, which were previously embedded images in .png, have now been retyped as a table in Word.
    The size of the document (same content and number of pages as before) is now 565 KB instead of 1.4 MB.
    My assumption now is that the almost 1.0 MB of .png images embedded in the document previously caused the problem when trying to open the file with Mac MS Word 2011.
    And that could be the issue, both on how the source computer created the original file and on how your system opened it. Tables are always going to be smaller than pictures of tables. Images take a a LOT of space, tables not very much at all.

Glad you got it sorted for this document, but I don't think we've gotten to the "why" of the original failure, so it could happen again.
    Jake

But that is for the Windows version of Office 2010, you say you have Mac version 2011. Not that it's critical, but MS keeps changing stuff so it's important to compare version for version.
    Yes, I have the Mac version 2011, but the collegue who sent me the file has the Windows version.
    I stated that in my first post in the very first line
    I received an MS Word document from a collegue who uses a PC.
    I realize it's often difficult if one is not directly involved to keep all that straight just reading a thread.

Sort of, but you never inspected the entire document in either of those before you exported it out again, at least as I read the sequence. Again, may not be critical, but I don't think we can KNOW for sure that it wasn't the source system as a problem from what we know.
    No, I didn't inspect the whole document before exporting it, but I still have that document in my inbox and could take a look at it.
    I'm just not sure which application I should use to open it (LibreOffice, Pages or Preview) and what I would be looking for - the big difference were these embedded images that were replaced but of course there could be more subtle things.

Glad you got it sorted for this document, but I don't think we've gotten to the "why" of the original failure, so it could happen again.
    There is one simple thing I will try - open the problem document in Pages, delete the pages with the tables that are images and save that as a .docx document to see if Word will open it.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, I knew the author had the Windows version, but I thought it was more modern than 2011. You mentioned the 2016 version in post #6, I connected two dots that maybe should not have been connected. Then in Post #20 you said it was created in Office365 Word version 16.0.11328.20220 and that got us off on discussing 32 vs. 64 bit, which should not make a difference in the output file. Sorry for the confusion. I still don't know if that older version (Word is currently at 16.23, as I said) would make the difference, but perhaps you could "gently" recommend that your source update the version of Office365 to the latest release to ensure no bugs. It doesn't cost anything, and the account should have been getting update notices (unless they are turned off and blocked) all along.
    Last edited by MacInWin; 04-01-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Jake

Yes, I knew the author had the Windows version, but I thought it was more modern than 2011. You mentioned the 2016 version in post #6.....
    Yes, at that time I didn't know which version the sender was using.
    I assumed she was using a later version than the 2010 version it finally turned out to be since she is also running a business.

Then there were these comments on google I came across related to the 2016 version of MS Word and finally at the end I was thinking of upgrading to Office 2016 since I thought our version of Office was too old and caused the problem.
    Pretty confusing looking back at it now.

Thread Information