Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Microsoft to offer a Mac version of it's antivirus
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    For those of you who did not know, Microsoft includes an antivirus called Windows Defender in its Windows OS. It is so effective that most people purchase an additional antivirus product to protect their PC - including me for the computers at work. So now Microsoft has decided to include a Mac version! How special is that?

What I find amazing is they have never figured out their imbedded antivirus is inadequate protection for today's threats. Anyway...

You can read more here: Microsoft Announces Windows Defender ATP Antivirus for Mac

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Same old same old calling malware etc viruses to move their products.

Not for me for one.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I only use MalwareBytes, along with Defender on all the winOS PC’s in our home.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Ah.. good old Microsoft, just like those famous Greeks bearing gifts. And you know the end to that story!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Ah.. good old Microsoft, just like those famous Greeks bearing gifts. And you know the end to that story!
    For the very little I use Windows 10 I just the MS free app. It's fine for the little I do. It's not needed in Mac OS though because there are no True Virus's and just a bit of Malware. Get one of the free Malware apps and you will be fine. MS can keep their AV!

Echoing the other voices, a waste of money.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Yesterday I had to fix a Windows laptop for a friend of my husbands. He got one of those webpage popups claiming to be from Microsoft and it had audio telling him to call the listed number or the computer would be erased due to a virus. He had clicked on an advertisement of a pretty weather girl and the popup arrived.

He called the number and let them use GoToMeeting to access his laptop. They showed him all kinds of outside "attempts" to hack his computer. Fortunately he had a Dr's appointment and had to leave but he took down the guy's number and extension and said he would call back. They wanted $192 for a years "protection". My friend did not give him his credit card thank heavens. He finally decided to call me and see if it was legit. You can imagine my reply.

It took me all of 10 minutes to fix the issue. What really got me was he has the whole AVG security package on this computer. He bought it because they helped him remotely hook up his printer. I have no idea how that is all related - never heard of an antivirus company do remote printer troubleshooting. Weird.

Anyway, I told him the next time - because there will be a next time as this is the third time I have repaired this laptop - he is to call me first!

I did tell him if it had been a mac it would not have happened, but like most people I find they don't want to spend the money. They go get a cheap windows laptop and can't figure out why a year later it is a piece of junk.

And the moral of the story? Both AVG and prior to AVG - Windows Defender, failed to protect his computer.

Okay - off my soapbox!

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Sorry Lisa, did you mean ineffective? "It is so effective that most people purchase an additional antivirus product"
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    And the moral of the story?
    The real moral of the story is do not click on pictures of pretty weather girls if you want to stay out of trouble with you know who!

Your Mac's Specs
    Chscag - I lectured this person on avoiding the pretty girls and clicking.

Rod - I have always been amazed that Microsoft can not make their OS more secure. Microsoft defender has always been a joke. At work on the Windows computers I use Sophos premium and Ghostery which keeps my issues to a minimum. Sophos will email me when one of the computers has an issue.

Needless to say, I don't have any AV on my Macs - just Ghostery.

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Rod - I have always been amazed that Microsoft can not make their OS more secure.
    I'm not. Microsoft squandered several opportunities to introduce REAL security in their OS and only made a half-hearted attempt when their hand was forced by an onslaught of a new breed of security threats in the early 2000s.

When Windows NT was being co-developed with IBM, they should have mimicked *NIX's 'no one is root' approach. Instead, they made it common practice in their ecosystem for developers to expect privileged access when they install software, and users to have privileged access whenever they want it. They didn't make security a priority until Vista, and even then it was half-baked (UAC still doesn't work so well, even all these years later).... and developers still build their products with the expectation of having privileged access to OS and Registry.

If Microsoft were smart, they'd scrap Windows altogether. Graft a Windows-like UI on top of Linux. Run legacy apps in a virtualization bubble (like WINE, or adapt App-V for Linux). Until they make a fundamental change to the OS, much like what Apple did going from 'Classic' to OS X, this will always be a thorn in their side.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Me too.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    I agree - Microsoft dropped the ball a long time ago. But now they want to create an antivirus for Macs. Count me out.

Lisa

Thread Information