Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Finding the trash in Time Machine

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Before long you will be considering backing up this storage as well.
    Actually I found myself doing exactly that.

I already have 2 backup drives with the photos, one attached to the MBP and the other a network drive, and started to back up the backup, but decided that 2 backups were probably enough. And I was running out of usb connections to my MBP.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I can see where the confusion is. I took it to mean that he was having the same difficulty finding Trash items in his backups both for his internal and external drives that were being backed up by Time Machine. I guess we will have to wait for Mike to comment.

I personally do not use Time Machine to backup my external hard drives that I use for photos and other files. I use CCC to clone them to another hard drive. Additionally, for family photos and other photos I burn a copy of them to CDs or DVDs as needed.
    I have two 1TB USB 3 HDD Time Machine backup drives, which backup my internal 500GB SSD and a 500GB HDD external drive. I have 100GB+ available on my internal and 250GB+ available on the external.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post
    Yes, I know. But the external drive is almost entirely my digital photos (and my Parallels pvm file) and those get backup up separately. It seems redundant to back up my images on the disk when they have already been copied to 2 backup drives. I am already running out of USB ports with the 4 usb drives attached to my MBP.
    It seems like it would make sense to just exclude the Parallels PVM file only.

Get a powered USB hub. Uses only one port on your Mac.

Bob -

-- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Get a powered USB hub. Uses only one port on your Mac.
    I am using a powered usb hub.

I am using my MBP in clamshell mode, and three of its four ports are in use. One of those hosts the powered usb hub and 5 of its ports are in use, so I think I may be pretty close to maxing out this configuration. I am not sure how many USB ports the MBP can actually handle. I thought about buying a second powered usb hub but then thought that if I really wanted to use that many ports I should get a bigger machine.

It seems like a lot for someone who is retired and just "playing around" with digital photos and some occasional programming.

I am using my MBP in clamshell mode, and three of its four ports are in use. One of those hosts the powered usb hub and 5 of its ports are in use, so I think I may be pretty close to maxing out this configuration. I am not sure how many USB ports the MBP can actually handle.

I think you have lots of room available yet, at least with the normal USB ports:
    The maximum number of USB devices that can be connected to a single root hub is 127.

If you have hubs between the root hub and the actual device, the number of total devices is reduced by the number of intermediate hubs. ...
    https://www.quora.com/How-many-USB-c...my-Macbook-Pro

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I have two 7 port hubs and another with 4 ports. As I said, I have 11 external drives. I also use the USB ports for connecting my iPhone and iPad to the Mac when I need it. Plus I have two printers attached by USB. And I have one free port on the Mac itself I use for USB thumb drives when I need to. And it all works pretty well.
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Perhaps I'm too casual about my data security. I have a 500Gb SSD in my MBP with 170Gb free. I have a 1Tb CCC HDD backup for security and convenience and a 512Gb HDD Time Machine backup. I also have a 1Tb external HDD which I call overflow. This disk contains videos, photos and documents I consider non essential but I'm not willing to throw away just yet but I don't bother to back it up.
    I preserve my laptop for essential information, apps and data that I use day to day.
    When I trash something it's because it no longer has any value to me or anyone else.
    Yes, there have been times where I remembered something that in retrospect I should have kept but there has to be a sensible limit.
    In a recent post on these forums an OP divulged that he had never emptied his trash. I don't wish to be unkind but if one is not going to empty the trash then its contents might as well be in a folder. Not emptying the trash would cause functional problems for me, eg how could I clear items from a USB flash drive?
    I do have other data that I could not afford to lose which is backed up either on portable devices or encrypted cloud based syncing services such as my password manager, identity documents, tax files etc.
    So I empty my Trash daily with no regrets.

I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I think you have lots of room available yet, at least with the normal USB ports:

https://www.quora.com/How-many-USB-c...my-Macbook-Pro

Well, I guess I do have more room. I have wanted to hook up a couple more backup drives for different information but thought I was running out of ports. Now the only thing I guess I have to worry about is running out of physical space for the drives.

- Patrick
    ======
    Well, I guess I do have more room. I have wanted to hook up a couple more backup drives for different information but thought I was running out of ports. Now the only thing I guess I have to worry about is running out of physical space for the drives.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post

Or, as already mentioned, maybe re-think what you want to keep saving, and I would add, what are your plans for all the stuff you are saving??

BTW: For all those RAW photos, do you really need to save them all in the RAW format??? As you said yourself, they can be LARGE files and quite likely overkill for your usage. But your choice!!!

Just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information