Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My version is 12.3.6

What's the newest version?

Template in Word 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsontrail View Post
    My version is 12.3.6

That's what my MS Office 2008 Word.app is as well.

Personally, I'm surprised that it's not working as expected and I'd be doubtful that a newer version install would improve things.

I'm also surprised that the Stationary file isn't working, and are you sure you did it correctly and you could check what these say:
    https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/mac...tationery-pad/
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25299...S&locale=en_US

or some others here:
    mac create stationary pad template
    https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

PS: My Word is on an old non-booted partition and the Stationary Pad method works just fine on a custom document I created.

- Patrick
    ======

Yes, I'm sure I did it correctly. Those instructions are at Help — Templates.

I think the problem is Word shows Template1, but that file is actually Normal.dotm.

But I can't find a way to change the specs in Normal.dotm in either the User Templates or My Templates folder.

Template in Word 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsontrail View Post
    Yes, I'm sure I did it correctly. Those instructions are at Help — Templates.

I think the problem is Word shows Template1, but that file is actually Normal.dotm.

But I can't find a way to change the specs in Normal.dotm in either the User Templates or My Templates folder.

As it all worked so well for you before, I'd sure have to suspect that there's something that HS OS 10.13.5 is doing or not doing in order to goof some Word things up.

PS: Anything you could at least try or test from here???
    https://templates.office.com/

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-04-2018 at 10:12 PM.

I suspect you're right about 10.13.5 not agreeing with Word 12.3.6

The current Word costs $130 for one machine. I'll soon buy a new MacBook and transfer Office to it from my old MacBook.

That probably means I'll have the same problem there.

So $260 for the only incompatibility I've found so far.

I don't want any of those pre-made templates.

I want to make and use the same simple template I created about 20 years ago and have used for hundreds or even thousands of Word docs.

Template in Word 2008
    I want to make and use the same simple template I created about 20 years ago and have used for hundreds or even thousands of Word docs.

Do I dare mention trying Pages to do and use for your Word stuff???

Just maybe it will work as you want and save some money???

- Patrick
    ======

Sure, you can mention it, but I won't do it.

I've been working in Word since the first Mac I bought way back when.

I also worked in Word on every job I've had since computers came into the world.

I have hundreds if not thousands of docs saved in Word.

I'm not going to change horses at this point in the stream.

I'd sure like to find a solution for what seems to be a pretty simple problem.

Having spent about $1600 for the iMac and having another $1300 bill coming up for a laptop,
    I'm not feeling real happy about another $260 for a software app I already have.

Template in Word 2008
    I'd sure like to find a solution for what seems to be a pretty simple problem.

That would be nice and I guess back to some of the Mac Word forums and some google searching and maybe even Apple and/or Microsoft have a solution.

Sorry, but I'm out of any more ideas or suggestions.

- Patrick
    ======

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Just as an FYI, and I stopped using Microsoft products a while ago, but Office for Mac 2008 and 2011 "used to" be able to be installed on two Macs, the only caveat was that, only one instance could be used at a time. I believe it still works that way for newer versions of Office as well, well for winOS PC's it does anyway.

Did you uninstall Office for Mac 2008, and then reinstall it?

Did you try creating a new user account on your Mac and see if that is affected the same way?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

When I bought Office, it was a license for three machines. One was my desktop, the second was my laptop, the third went unused.

When I looked for the latest version of Word, I found it was $130 for one machine.

I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office. What's the procedure?

I don't understand your question about creating a new user account. Do you mean with Apple? Microsoft? Something else?

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    You don't need to buy another copy of Word, yet. Just find the installation media (disk), and see if it has an uninstall program. Or look in the Microsoft folder in the Applications folder to see if there is an uninstaller. According to this somewhat old guidance, there should be an uninstaller:

https://kb.iu.edu/d/aprq

Once uninstalled, use the installation media to reinstall (I am pretty sure you will need the authentication codes again. It's been 10 years since I last had to deal with 2008.)

As for a new user account, what is being suggested is that you create a new user on your Mac by going to System Preferences/Users & Groups and add a new user. It's a smart thing to do for troubleshooting as you can have that user "virgin," that is, with no extras installed or settings changed from the defaults. Once the new user is established, reboot and at the login screen pick the new account. If you don't get a login screen, open System Preferences, Security & Privacy and check the "Disable Automatic Login" box (you will have to click on the lock icon and provide an admin user password, presumably your own. Now reboot again to get back to the login screen (again). From there you should be able to launch Word and see if the problem is the same (it may not be as the new user will have it's own copy of Normal.dotm created when you launch Word in that account).
    Jake

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    No. He means to go into the SUers and Groups preference pane on your Mac and create a new user account. Then try to launch Word. Make the changes that you want to make and save the document as the Normal template. Do the changes stick then?
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    To slightly amplify on what Slydude said, do all that testing in the NEW account as that will have a new Normal.dotm created with the factory defaults when it first launches Word. Then try making your desired changes to that and same a new template and see if it works. If it did, then the problem is with something in YOUR account area. If it does the same thing, the problem is more likely in Word itself.
    Jake

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    On your Mac, create a new User, by going into System Preferences > Users & Accounts, or something similar.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I truly appreciate the suggestions, but the possible solutions are getting far too complex for this non-techie.

Never before in human history have so many people had to know so much just to get through everyday life. My TV, radio, stereo, DVD player, landline phone, microwave, refrigerator, stove, car, etc. work without my having to know much about them. But for my computer to work, I have to know tons, and so does everybody else who uses one.

One of the most frustrating things about software is that its creators are so damn presumptuous. They decide how I'm going to use it. I have to develop workarounds to pass by their presumptions.

So this is what I did this morning: I trashed every Normal.dotm file I could find, which was three or four. Then I converted every Template1 and Document1 file I could find, which was at least four, to my specs and made sure they showed today's date and time as having been saved.

Then I quit Word and re-opened, expecting to have ingeniously solved the problem. Nope. Word opened to Template1 with the wrong specs. With that open, I clicked on New and that window came up as Document1 with the wrong specs.

So here's my workaround: I created a Word doc with my specs and saved it as WordTemplate in an easy-to-find place. When I open Word, I close the wrong specs Template1 doc it shows, go to my WordTemplate, go to Save As, and give it the name of the new doc I want to write, then save that doc to the appropriate folder.

When I buy a new MacBook, I'll explain the problem I've had with the iMac to the guy who will transfer my old apps and content from my old MacBook to the new one, and I'll see if he can avoid a repeat.

If not, I'll apply the same workaround there.

One of the presumptions I've never liked about Word 2008 is that it opens a blank doc when I launch the app. I want it to just open the app and let me take it from there. That's what the earlier version of Word did.

Thread Information