Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @bpptspntrail We've been going at this from the standpoint of changing the "normal" template which does not seem to be working for you for whatever reason. Just to clarify things for me: If you save create your documet with the fonts, margins, etc. that you want and save the document as a template what happens. If you double click your document does it open with the correct font.

BTW Are you havinng other issues with Word/Office? It almost seems to me that there is a preference file that is a problem.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I always have my user Library in my Sidebar for easy access.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Template in Word 2008
    @bpptspntrail We've been going at this from the standpoint of changing the "normal" template which does not seem to be working for you for whatever reason.

If it helps at all, I just tried my earlier suggestion of creating a new modified/formatted Word '08 document and making it a 'Stationary Document" and it works just fine, at least running Mavericks.

As I mentioned, just another method, but it's sure easy to do and set up.

PS: My Word '08 isn't even on my boot drive, but is in my old 10.6.8 partition volume. Works fine.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-02-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added at least running Mavericks

I posted most of the below yesterday, but I don't see it here.

At User Templates and My Templates, the Normal.dotm files open in Pages, not Word.

When I open Word, it goes to a blank doc it calls Template1.docx. If I click on New while in that doc, it goes to what it calls Document1.docx.

Neither has my specs for typeface or margins. If I change to my specs and overwrite both individually and Save them to both User Templates and My Templates, they show with my typeface and margin specs.

Then when I close Word and re-open expecting to see Template1.docx with my specs, it persists with the wrong typeface and margins.

IOW, what I just changed and saved to overwrite the Template1.docx doesn't show.

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    At User Templates and My Templates, the Normal.dotm files open in Pages, not Word.
    That should not happen. Use Finder to go to Normal.dotm, right click on it (ctrl-click), then Get Info and change the default application for that type of file to Word, not Pages. Somehow the system thinks .dotm files should open in Pages, which does you no good. You can actually make the change by finding any .dotm file, use Get Info and change the default and then click on the "Change all..." button to change every .dotm file to open in Word, not Pages and that will find the Normal.dotm file and change it as well as all the others.

All .docx files are documents, NOT templates. Templates are always .dotm files. And when Word begins, it should open, by default, Normal.dotm to see what your preferences are, then open a document using those settings. No matter how many times you change and save a .docx file, you are NOT changing the .dotm file that you need to change. It's been a long time since I used Word 2008, but I just did an experiment on Word for Mac 2011, and there is a setting in Preferences on the General tab labelled "Show Document Gallery when opening Word." If that is checked, Word opens to show all templates that it knows about, including Normal (which shows as just "Word document" in the list). With that option UNCHECKED, a document named Document1 opens automatically, using the Normal.dotm template. Naming a document (a .docx file) as Template.docx does not make it a template, it's still a document. Saving that .docx to your template location doesn't make it a template, either. And that's why when you change Template1.docx and save it when you reopen it nothing has persisted. It's NOT a template, as far as Word is concerned because ALL templates end in .dotm.

Bottom line, you need to get .dotm back to Word as the application and then change Normal.dotm as you have already been advised. Nothing you are doing with .docx files will make any difference at all.
    Jake

Template in Word 2008
    And here's yet another method:
    How to Create a Letterhead Template in Word for Mac
    http://ask.brothersoft.com/how-to-cr...ac-205663.html

Or try the method I suggested in my #15 post.

Some of these methods seem overly complicated and not the easiest thing to do for some users.

- Patrick
    ======

In #15, if I choose Normal.dotm from the list, I get something like 'cannot open because there are problems with the contents'

In #21, what I get on my screen does not match what the step-by-step instructions say will appear.

In User Templates and My Templates, both are now Word defaults. Before I changed, one was Pages and the other was Word, even though they both opened in Pages before when I clicked on them.

When I'm in User Templates, Normal.dotm opens named Document1 with the wrong specs when I click on it.

When I'm in My Templates, same as above.

In both cases, if I rename Document1 as Normal.dotm and Save, the name changes accordingly, but when I look at either file name in the menu, the date is not today, which is July 3.

When I quit Word and re-open, the blank doc's name is Template1 with the wrong specs.

When I go to the Documents folder on my hard drive, there's a Normal.dotm file dated July 3. When I click on it, it opens as Document1 with the wrong specs.

Template in Word 2008
    In both cases, if I rename Document1 as Normal.dotm and Save, the name changes accordingly, but when I look at either file name in the menu, the date is not today, which is July 3.

It sounds like your Word template stuff is in a bit of a non-working mess.

As I recall with Word, one had to use the "Insert Date" for the date if one wanted it to change to the date of composition, otherwise, straight text was used instead. I think there's an option somewhere. I seldom use Word.

BTW: Have you tried using my suggestion of creating a "Stationary File" of your correctly formatted .doc and use it for a template. Just save it somewhere handy and it might work better for you.

- Patrick
    ======

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Its been a looong time since I used that version of Word. See if it has an Insert menu. Date should be one of the options though the specific option that you want might be in a submenu.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

The Help instructions give the "Stationery pad" means. I followed them and if I open the doc I named WordTemplate, it opens with the specs I want. But if I quit Word and re-open, the blank doc that comes up is Template1 with the wrong specs.

This iMac is a few months old. I had the contents of my dead iMac transferred to this one. That included Office, which includes Word 2008 12.3.6

I never had this problem on the now-dead iMac. I created the Word doc specs I wanted — I suppose by changing and saving the default doc that came up — and from then on every blank Word page that came up had those specs.

I don't understand why that's not happening on the new iMac, especially since the Word that's on it came from the now-dead iMac.

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Ah, new news! Microsoft products do not migrate well from one system to another because of the security MS uses. You would be much better served to uninstall and reinstall Word and register it freshly with MS. That process will renew the Normal.dotm file and then you can create a new template with whatever standards you want.
    Jake

It's Word 2008 12.3.6

Insert has Date&Time in the pull-down menu. It gives a list of formats for inserting the date, with or without the time. See below. It seems Word is not updating the file I'm in but a file with the same name in a different folder.

This is probably a clue to what's going on: When I open Word, it opens a blank page named Template1. If I try to rename that doc as Normal.dotm, the screen tells me I can't rename an open doc.

That must mean what Word is calling Template1 is really Normal.dotm

But still, I changed three Normal.dotm files in the User Templates, My Templates and Documents folders to my specs, but Word opens Template1 with the wrong specs.

Of the three Normal.dotm files I changed the specs in, the only one that showed the date of my change was in the Documents folder.

Maybe that means that although it appears to me that I'm changing Normal.dotm in User Templates and My Templates, what's really happening that I don't see is I'm serially changing the Normal.dotm in the Documents folder, but when Word opens to Template1 (actually Normal.dotm) it's using the unchanged version in User Templates or My Templates.

If so, how do I change the specs in the Normal.dotm files in the User Templates and My Templates folders?

It seems the path embedded in the software is wrong.

Do you mean ditch Word 2008 and buy the newest version?

Would that mean buying the whole Office group?

Would my thousands of Word docs created over more than 20 years be preserved?

Template in Word 2008
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You can continue to use Word 2008 as it still works even in High Sierra. And yes, if you upgrade Word it means purchasing the entire Office Suite or a subscription to Office 365.

Upgrading Word does not remove your docs or personal templates. I have upgraded Word many times over the years and have never lost a single document or template.

Template in Word 2008
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Upgrading Word does not remove your docs or personal templates. I have upgraded Word many times over the years and have never lost a single document or template.
    Ditto.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information