Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    And you didn't answer the question about the email being to "iCloud.com" or "me.com" as Bob asked. That is important for us to understand.
    The one I use is mac.com, but they all work. They are just aliases of one another:

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses

If you had a working @mac.com email address as of July 9, 2008, kept your MobileMe account active, and moved to iCloud before August 1, 2012, you can use @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses with your iCloud account.
    @ferrar - Next time you're with your Mac please have a look at the iCloud.com email settings and tell me what you think I should do.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Well, what Bob asked was
    So, the emails are to “iCloud.com, or me.com”, like that?? I wasn’t sure if they were to your ISP accounts email service?
    The various Apple addresses are aliases, but you could have been using an ISP, which is why the question. However, given you are using Apple's email service, there aren't many settings. About all you can control is where the Junk Mailbox is and when to delete junk mail. I don't see any settings for what NOT to count as junk.

I have CCC email me after it runs to let me know the results of the actions. That mail invariably gets marked as junk because it's from me to me and that is a prime way spammers keep from showing who they are. At least I got my spam setting to allow it, but the junk filter still nails it. I'm learning to live with it.
    Jake

This is what I'm relying on:

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac

(BTW, I had to use a proxy to open the above URL.)

Each time you confirm a message as junk or not junk, the junk mail filter improves so Mail can better identify junk mail.
    In other words, you're supposed to be able to "train" the junk mail filter to better identify what is junk and what is not junk. For me, this fails spectacularly.

You're supposed to be able to "exempt from junk mail filtering" messages where "Sender of messages is in my Contacts". For me, this fails spectacularly.

Screenshot 2019-11-04 05.44.45.jpg

I have CCC mail me after each backup. The mail from CCC has never ended up in my Junk mailbox.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    @ferrar - Next time you're with your Mac please have a look at the iCloud.com email settings and tell me what you think I should do.
    Yeah, I looked earlier and I noticed there are no settings for Mail in iCloud.com. I’m thinking of adding another user account without an Apple ID and try to sign in to iCloud.com n that user account, to see if any options are there? Or maybe try my wife’s winOS PC?

I can’t do it right now as I’m converting some videos with Handbrake, and it will take about 14 hours to complete.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I can’t do it right now as I’m converting some videos with Handbrake, and it will take about 14 hours to complete.
    Wowie Zowie. That's a lot of video.

This evening when I checked my Junk mailbox there were three messages:

• FoodPanda, a new food delivery service. I had not yet added it to my contacts, so this is excusable.
    • Subsurface which has been in my contacts for years. In addition, yesterday I signed into Gmail's webmail and told it that Subsurface is important and not SPAM. Still, it ends up in Junk.
    • MacPorts User Digest to which I have subscribed for years and which is in my contacts. This is the first time I've ever seen it in my Junk mailbox.

I guess the best advice of all is from MacInWin: "I'm learning to live with it."

I'll try my best, but I expect better from a company with a reputation for producing products that "just work".

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    This evening when I checked my Junk mailbox there were three messages:

• FoodPanda, a new food delivery service. I had not yet added it to my contacts, so this is excusable.
    • Subsurface which has been in my contacts for years. In addition, yesterday I signed into Gmail's webmail and told it that Subsurface is important and not SPAM. Still, it ends up in Junk.
    • MacPorts User Digest to which I have subscribed for years and which is in my contacts. This is the first time I've ever seen it in my Junk mailbox.

I guess the best advice of all is from MacInWin: "I'm learning to live with it."

I'll try my best, but I expect better from a company with a reputation for producing products that "just work".
    This is what confuses me, is all the email that is going into the Junk Mail folder going to your "@Gmail.com", or are some of them from other email providers? You mentioned iCloud, in a previous reply, so I thought all the emails were coming into your "@iCloud.com" email address?

I will admit, I hardly ever check my "Junk mail" folders. And I also never use Mac Mail Junk Mail filtering.

- - - Updated - - -

Wowie Zowie. That's a lot of video.
    Yeah, I converted some DVDs, and I prefer small file sizes ~1-2GB tops.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Junk mail problems
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Yes it does as described in the posts above. But, it doesn't seem to work. Whenever real mail ends up in my Junk mailbox I always click on Not Junk. But, that training doesn't seem to work. I have been clicking Not Junk on mail from the online retailer Lazada for years, but mail from them still ends up in the Junk mailbox.
    Do they use the same email address each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Why not just turn off junk filtering altogether? Mail/Preferences/Junk Mail/<<uncheck the box>>

There is also an option to trust/not trust junk mail headers in messages. And some custom actions you can define.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 10.07.55 AM.png
    Jake

Regarding the three email messages that ended up in the Junk mailbox yesterday: the FoodPanda and MacPorts messages were addressed to my Dot MAC address and the Subsurface message was addressed to my Gmail address.

I have tried disabling Junk mail filtering. This seems to have no effect. Mail flags messages as Junk whether or not I have Junk mail filtering enabled.

I have had Trust junk mail headers turned off for a long time.

I've looked at the Custom Actions one can enable, but the defaults are exactly what I want to have happen:

• If the sender is in my Contacts it's not Junk
    • If the sender is in my Previous Recipients it's not junk
    • If the message is addressed to my fuill name it's not junk
    • Ignore Junk email headers

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    Maybe you should change the setting to "Mark as Junk Mail, but leave in my inbox"?

I have tried disabling Junk mail filtering. This seems to have no effect. Mail flags messages as Junk whether or not I have Junk mail filtering enabled.
    Also, this seems to justify, the emails are being marked as Junk, by the email provider, not through Mac Mail.
    -- Bob --

Maybe you should change the setting to "Mark as Junk Mail, but leave in my inbox"?
    I can do that, but that doesn't really solve the problem, does it?

Also, this seems to justify, the emails are being marked as Junk, by the email provider, not through Mac Mail.
    That may be true. In the case of the email messages sent to my Dot MAC address it is Apple's mail system, via Proofpoint, which is flagging the mails as Junk. And this is exactly what Apple's mail system should do as it has no idea what client will be receiving the message. I have no problem with that. But, if I tell my email client, Mail, to ignore junk mail headers it should do just that. It does not.

I think what this actually proves is how stupid I am. Instead of me training Mail to handle junk correctly, Mail has trained me, in the manner of Pavlov's dogs, to handle junk on my own. Every time a message from Lazada or Subsurface appears in the Junk mailbox I obediently click "Not Junk" and move on. Mail must be very proud of itself.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I have a similar problem from time to time with a few senders. In fact, even emails from this very forum get treated as junk.

I'm debating trying to apply rule(s) first to catch those that routinely get misidentified and then apply the junk filtering.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I have a similar problem from time to time with a few senders. In fact, even emails from this very forum get treated as junk.

I'm debating trying to apply rule(s) first to catch those that routinely get misidentified and then apply the junk filtering.
    I think that if you apply your rules first, the junk filtering will happen anyway. At least that's my past experience.

I found what might be an interesting hint on this Apple Support page: Change Junk Mail preferences in Mail on Mac

At the top you can select what version of MacOS you have. If you select Catalina, the section called The following types of messages are exempt from junk mail filtering reads:

Don’t filter messages from senders who are in the Contacts app, you’ve previously corresponded with, or know your full name.

But, if you select Mojave, that same section reads:

Don’t filter messages from senders you’ve corresponded with, or who know your full name.

Note the absence of "who are in the Contacts app" in the Mojave version. I wonder if this is a subtle admission from Apple that this aspect of Junk mail filtering doesn't actually work in Mojave; exactly what I've observed.

Thread Information