Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Junk mail problems
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Maybe this has changed but I seem to remember that if you opened something marked as Junk either from the Junk Mailbox or by searching for it you had the option to mark it as Not Junk. There used to be a little dialogue that said something like, "Mail thinks this is junk mail", and you had the option to change that. After that mail from the same sender would go into the Inbox I thought. I could be wrong though as I use Spam Sieve so I can just "Train as good".

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rod, that Not Junk button is there in the latest version of Mail when the message is marked as Junk but left in the Inbox. If it is moved to Junk, the button disappears. At least that's how it seems to work.
    Jake

Junk mail problems
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Maybe this has changed but I seem to remember that if you opened something marked as Junk either from the Junk Mailbox or by searching for it you had the option to mark it as Not Junk. There used to be a little dialogue that said something like, "Mail thinks this is junk mail", and you had the option to change that. After that mail from the same sender would go into the Inbox I thought. I could be wrong though as I use Spam Sieve so I can just "Train as good".

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Rod, not only are you correct, as Jake pointed out; but having SpamSieve does not stop Mail from assuming something is Junk and putting this into Mail's Junk folder.

SpamSieve explains this in their detailed blog about the product. SpamSieve does a great job and I love it; but it can't stop the occasional email going into Mail's Junk - even though I have disabled this in Mail preferences.

SpamSieve says that if this happens delete or accept the item at the Mail level and do not move it to SpamSieve or alter SpamSieve's settings. In my case, it's my ISP deciding ahead of SpamSieve that it's junk.

Ian
    Ian

Junk mail problems
    A few days ago Apple Mail suddenly started flagging this daily email as junk:

Does not your Mail.app give you an option to tag such e-mails as Not Junk??? I would think that would be part of the training method.

- Patrick
    ======

Junk mail problems
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Does not your Mail.app give you an option to tag such e-mails as Not Junk??? I would think that would be part of the training method.
    Yes it does as described in the posts above. But, it doesn't seem to work. Whenever real mail ends up in my Junk mailbox I always click on Not Junk. But, that training doesn't seem to work. I have been clicking Not Junk on mail from the online retailer Lazada for years, but mail from them still ends up in the Junk mailbox.

Junk mail problems
    As suggested, I disabled Junk mail filtering in Mail. But, this morning there was still mail in the Junk folder. This was mail sent to my Dot Mac email address. It contains junk mail headers:

Code:
    X-Clx-Spam: ⁨true⁩
    X-Spam-Flag: ⁨yes⁩
    Which were added by Proofpoint, the junkmail service used by Apple:

Code:
    X-Proofpoint-Spam-Details: ⁨rule=notspam policy=default score=1 suspectscore=56 
    malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=8 spamscore=1 clxscore=-659 mlxscore=1 
    mlxlogscore=222 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 
    engine=8.0.1-1908290000 definitions=main-1911020218⁩
    So, it seems that even if you have junk mail filtering disabled, Apple still puts mail it thinks is junk in the Junk mailbox.

I don't get the logic behind that.

Junk mail problems
    So, it seems that even if you have junk mail filtering disabled, Apple still puts mail it thinks is junk in the Junk mailbox.

I don't get the logic behind that.

I would go through your mail Rules carefully and see if you can spot any causing a possible conflict, and if nothing exists, create a new rule to override everything else. I think there is also an option available as to the order that Rules use do their thing or before any other actions such as sort etc.

I don't recall the various orders offhand and what might happen first. But I do recall one has to read the rules and options very carefully. ;-)

- Patrick
    ======

Junk mail problems
    I have exactly four rules in Mail. Two of those run AppleScripts if the mail subject contains a specific phrase. I use one of those to start my Plex server in case I forget before leaving home. The other gets my home external IP address and emails me the result so I can log in remotely. Neither affects junk mail.

The other two rules do affect junk mail. They are of the form:

If From contains lazada.co.th
    Move Message to mailbox: iCloud

It's simple. It should work in real time. It doesn't. If I run that rule manually it works fine and does what I expect it to do. But, in real time it fails.

Junk mail problems
    Today two more messages appeared in the Junk mailbox:

The daily Subsurface Divelog digest from Google Groups. Apparently Gmail flagged this as Spam even though it is sent from a Google Groups mailing list to a Gmail address.

An email from Com Gateway, an international remailing service that I use. Their email address is in my Contacts. It was flagged as Spam by Proofpoint. Mail put it in the Junk folder.

Apparently, Mail pretty much ignores the fact that you have disabled junk mail filtering. It goes ahead and puts mail that it "thinks" is junk into your Junk mailbox no matter what you do.

I give up.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    How do you know it is not your email provider that is not putting those emails in their junk mail folder? Unless you signed into their online service, Apple Mail would still show them in the junk mail folder? Maybe they have filters in place that you need to train first?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Junk mail problems
    The email provider is Apple. Or do you mean something else?

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    So, the emails are to “iCloud.com, or me.com”, like that?? I wasn’t sure if they were to your ISP accounts email service? Have you tried the online login, and see what filters are enabled there?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Junk mail problems
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    So, the emails are to “iCloud.com, or me.com”, like that?? I wasn’t sure if they were to your ISP accounts email service? Have you tried the online login, and see what filters are enabled there?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. With iCloud webmail there's no way to specify how Junk mail is treated. I don't have any rules set in iCloud Mail.

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    I’m not near my Mac right now, I’m using my iPad. I haven’t tried t logging to iCloud webmail, but they have to have some type of settings somewhere?
    -- Bob --

Junk mail problems
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    And you didn't answer the question about the email being to "iCloud.com" or "me.com" as Bob asked. That is important for us to understand.
    Jake

Thread Information