Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My emails have vanished from my Mail Inbox
    Hi,

I have lost all my messages from the inbox of my Apple Mail account. It is, I have to admit, a bit traumatic as the 12000 (thereabouts) emails date back around 10 years and, as everyone will understand, some are important to me. In fact, I have been left with about 100 or so. 'm completely in the dark as when this happened previously they were restored quickly without any intervention by me.

My other folders eg 'Sent' and 'Drafts' are not affected; it's just my inbox. I have not exceeded the allocated storage on the server.

I am using OS X 10.6.6 (I know, it's not supported) and Mail Version 4.6 (1085). I use an MacBook Pro and an iPhone 6S.

I'm not hopeful but would greatly appreciate any guidance or advice you can offer me.

Regards,

Nick

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Nick have you tried logging in to the iCloud site and checking your mail there icloud.com

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Just to add to Rod's message: Are you, in fact, talking about an iCloud account or another from an ISP?

And is your account POP3 or IMAP. They behave differently. (BTW iCloud is IMAP).

Ian
    Ian

Hi Rod and Ian,

Thank you for your messages.

Rod, there is no trace of the messages on iClound or on my Mail app.

Ian, my Mail account, which I access directly from the dock is IMAP.

I noticed some other anomalies in the last day or two; my messages were duplicated and at one point there were 4 copies of each message. This rectified itself within 24 hours but my messages have now been absent since yesterday morning.

Your Mac's Specs
    I am wondering if this is related to your, pardon my saying, antiquated OS. Any reason why you have not updated to 10.6.8 at least? OS 10.6.8 has been a very stable OS for a long time and many still swear by it.
    However if your emails have disappeared from Mail on the iCloud web site then I think your only course is to contact Apple. https://www.apple.com/support/icloud/ww/

Your Mac's Specs
    I would love to hear what the results of that are, for my future reference and this forum's.

Your Mac's Specs
    Interestingly this page (Get help using iCloud Mail) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203528 states at the top "Update OS X on your Mac. iCloud Mail accounts require OS X v10.7.5 or later."
    So maybe I was on the right track?

Thanks again Rod. In fact, I have 10.6.8 - let down by random typos. Will look at the link you sent.

I'll let you know how things go.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    And this Apple article confirms Rod's research.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204230

@N2012 — forgive my ignorance, but I'm still unclear about what email you have. Given Rod's and my linked articles, it seems unlikely your email is, say, goodfellow@iCloud dot com. In other words, it would appear that your email may be yourname@otherservice dot com provided by an ISP? For goodness sake, don't post your actual email address; but can you can you give us the bit that comes after the @ symbol? For example, in my case it is btinternet (I'm in the UK).

Ian
    Ian

Hi Ian,

I've never had a problem (a bit buggy once in a while like all email systems); that is, not like this.

My email address format is: xxxxx.xxxx@mac.com

The issue you raise - out of date OS - should not be a concern on my iPhone 6S Plus which is has the latest upgrades installed.

Thanks for writing.

Regards, Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Nick,

Thank you for that.

Well, I did a bit of research and the mac.com started out as a DotMac account which then became a MobileMe account (around 2012, I think), which was yourname@me dot com. Then there was yourname@iCloud dot com. That's the history. (BTW I spell out the word "dot' otherwise it comes up on the post as if it were a real address).

You still have the original mac.com address

I'm running out of ideas, but this long-ago Apple Support Link may (or may not!) give some insight as these are people who "lost" or can't find their mac.com emails. Worth reading through all the questions/answers. And from within this Link, there is a further link to iCloud.

I can't promise much, but I'll keep at it.

Link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034239?tstart=0

Ian
    Ian

Ian, many thanks again.

You're right about the chronological sequence of email suffixes. The dot mac/me/icloud formats are interchangeable in that whichever is used when emailing me will find their way into my inbox. Someone suggested leaving things for a few days (it's been 2 days already) and see if they turn up again. Just hoping they will.

Thanks also for the link - I'll read through the thread today.

Best wishes, Nick

Hi,

This has been resolved; I have all my emails restored to my inbox.

Thank you for your contributions, Ian and Rod.

This is now resolved. All my emails (around 13,000) have been restored.

I booked a telephone support session and was called on Saturday morning.

A precis of the actions undertaken are here:

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac (Shift+Alt+Cmd+Turn-on)
    Shut Down

Reset NVRAM on your Mac (Turn-on then immediately after: Att+Cmd+P+R)
    Shut Down

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up (Log-in to Safe Mode and then Shut Down)

Leave for 10 mins before turning on again and allow a couple of hours for re-sunc and emails to be restored.

It's something you can try as I'm advised it often works to resync the Mail app.

It wasn't, however, successful for me and I called Apple back yesterday (Sunday) morning with the case number they supplied.

This time, the member of the Support Team said he would call me back with the results. It worked out and my emails (absent for almost a week) are back in my inbox.

Apple Support were very helpful and I'm grateful for their efforts.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions and best wishes.

Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    I suppose a few of us have lived through the multiple Apple email address thing, I know I have had exactly the same series of addresses described. I still use the @me.com address. But interestingly since putting 2 step verification in place I received another Apple email address which is the same as the first with a 2 after my name @icloud.
    Either way, thanks Ian for reporting back, glad the problem was fixed eventually, your experience is a valuable reference for us all.

I've noticed some messages are addressed to me as both @me and @mac so I get duplicate emails from some senders. I've not used @icloud although when I sign-in to my Icloud a/c (as opposed to opening the Mail app in the dock) it always auto-completes as @icloud after I've entered my name in the first field.

It's a relief to have things restored to order.

Nick

Thread Information