Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iMessages Not Set Up But Keychain Is Still Loaded With Keys For Messages
    Your Mac's Specs
    2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
    Hi All!

In 10.11.5 I have the application Messages & don't anticipate using it, so I've never set it up. Once I opened it to confirm that it is not set up & there are no addresses associated with the application & my Apple ID is not entered in.

But, in Keychain Access app, I have a few hundred entries for iMessage. Research shows that those belong to Messages.app. Some studying shows me that I get 8 new entries on each boot of the computer. From what I can find out, they are an important part of securing iMessages. I suppose they not harming anything sitting there, but they get in the way when searching the Keychain Access application to fix errors. (i seem to get a lot of keychain problems, mostly Mail related).

The key names are: iMessage Encryption Key & iMessage signing Key. Each boot of the computer gives me 4 of each key. Two of each are Public Keys and 2 of each are Private keys.

Is there a way to stop the keys from being automatically generated or is this an un-changeable OS X behavior?

Thanks For Sharing!
    Paul

PS: I apologize if this has been addressed here but I could not find it. Perhaps I searched with the wrong terms? In the internet there are lots of writings about this, but the replies pretty much say one is stuck with the many keys being generated.
    Last edited by PGB1; 05-30-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: I goofed & forgot to put the key names & actual count of how many keys are generated upon boot. Sorry for that.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    As far as I know, this is system level security behaviour for iMessage to generate encryption keys with the iMessage server. Looks like somewhat bad design that it still happens even if you haven't configured any account with Messages. Possibly happens because you have an iCloud account associated with your Mac. I suspect the behaviour would go away if you had no iCloud account configured at all, but that may not be an option for you.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Yogi for the good thoughts.

As far as I know, I don't have an iCloud account associated with this computer. If I click iCloud, I get taken to the set-up screen. Actually, I've never gone to iCloud on any computer.
    But, I do have an Apple ID and used it to sign in to the Apple App Store from this computer to download the 10.11.5 update from 10.11.4.
    Maybe that was the 'trigger' that started the iMessage keys?

Thanks Again!
    Paul

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Possible - hard to say without seeing the entries but I can't imagine Keychain generating any entries without an iMessage user associated with them. Could also just be device keys that are generated independently from iCloud and associated with your local profile, but we'd have to be deep into Apple's engineering teams to know for sure.

Anyhow, you shouldn't have to mess with Keychain at all, so maybe we can work on solving your Mail issues instead :-)
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Yogi for taking time to reply & Thank You for asking about the Mail problem. I'm very stumped on repairs.
    The Mail situation is really two problems & one request.

The more common problem is that about every 3 or 4 uses of Mail I will be asked for the password for each of the accounts that I have when it checks for messages. (I've got 8 on this user profile) Sometimes I can still be in Mail after entering the password(s) requested and next time it checks for messages, it will pop up and ask again.
    Other times, it will request only one or two of the accounts' passwords.
    Sometimes I'll also get prompted for a password upon sending a message, but not as often as I get asked when receiving mail.

The less common problem, although it is becoming more frequent lately, is that Mail will issue a pop up when I send a message telling me it does not recognize the server that I am sending a message from. I simply click to send anyway & the message sends.

Due to each of these problems, I end up with multiple entries in Keychain Access for each mail address (under Log In Keychain).
    I once compared the entries' details with the "information" button to see if two of the same account match. The details do match.

The "request" mentioned above is also keychain related. When I had OS X 10.6.8 I could choose not to save the mail password in my keychain. I know this sounds backwards from above, so here's the reason: I have two User Accounts. One is "Real Life" and one is "Work Stuff". Sometimes when I am at a project I will have to leave my computer unattended and running while logged into Work Stuff. Not having the Work Stuff mail passwords in keychain made it so no one could check or send Mail. (I returned to the computer once & found my mail open & the sent box had all kinds of prankster stuff sent.) That user account has 2 mail accounts.

It seems that the option to not save a Mail password in Keychain is from from 10.11.5.
    I tried putting the lock icon in my menu bar & for convenient locking when i walk away. It stops Mail from sending but it does not stop mail receive when the keychain is locked.

Thanks Again!
    Paul

Thread Information