Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MacInWin
    Just did an experiment. Created a brand new user, opened iTunes, downloaded one app, closed iTunes and used Finder to locate the file I had just downloaded. It's in YOUR path, except that "iTunes Music" is "iTunes Media." That means the path is:

/Users/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/

What does THAT say about it? I'm totally confused now. Does iTunes have THREE acceptable places for apps?

Duplicate IOS apps in iTunes?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's real interesting. Well, at least we're getting somewhere... and you're probably correct about iTunes having three acceptable places for the *.ipa apps. Also, "iTunes Media" makes more sense than "iTunes Music". I suspect you're seeing what a brand new installation of iTunes would show. I'm going to try what you did and setup a new test user to see what happens.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I think the iTunes Music path is the older path that was in use by iTunes for quite some time. As iTunes evolved and became a bit more of a media handler then the iTunes Media folder came about with the various subfolders. I bet that current versions of iTunes can still handle the older path especially if, for example, a user has iTunes pointed to that folder to look for content.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MacInWin
    But, Sly, the user doesn't point to where to save apps, the only user setting is where to put the iTunes Media folder (iTunes/Preferences/Advanced). In my case, the iTunes media location is

/Users/me/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

which is where it has been from the first time I used iTunes. I can't look at the new user's path right now because I'm in the middle of a large printing job, but I suspect it's "Media" and not "Music." I also suspect the "migration" of settings migrated my folder and name as a setting from iTunes.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    No but once the user points to a base location the necessary subfolders seem to be created if they are not already present. I'm not sure exactly what has caused the behavior you are seeing but I know I have seen something about this before.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MacInWin
    That's true. I just got a check in and the new account has "Media" in the path name, not "Music." What I suspect is going on is that over time Apple has moved the Mobile Applications default location around and didn't want to ask the user to move the application files, so they now just look for all three and use whatever it finds. If you have a new user, the default is the one with Media, but if you've had one elsewhere, it preserves that location for you. That may be how the third, long-abandoned (no updates in years) folder may have been abandoned. I'm clutching at straws here to understand it, but for now I'm good. This was a fun discussion.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    An easy way, for me, to get rid of the duplicates, and make sure I have the correct version downloaded to iTunes, is to delete all from iTunes and make sure I move files to trash. Then I sync the apps back from my device(s). I had this happen a few years ago when I was using an iPad and an iPhone. I noticed that different versions were on different devices because they were update at different times and almost always downloaded directly over wifi to both devices. I do not have this problem right now, because when I went looking for the Mac Forums app and I couldn't find it, I re-downloaded all my purchased apps back into iTunes so I wouldn't loose any other purchased apps. Now I keep all my apps downloaded for both my iTunes accounts. I still have issues and now am more careful about which apps I delete.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information