Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Antivirus & malware/spyware etc protection
    Screen Shot 2016-03-14.png

I'm reasonably new to Apple and have an iMac desktop.

I had installed Avast Mac Security because I read it is a good malware/spyware firewall etc.

Then I installed AVG Antivirus (free version) because I read a good review of it's anti-virus capability.

But after I installed the AVG I got the above error .... after research I gather that the Avast is also antivirus (when I installed it I thought it was only security / malware / firewall etc, not antivirus)

I'm not really sure what each does and doesn't do, and what they do well etc ....

Can I just keep both of them? Could anything 'bad' happen if I just keep both of them?

Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by digital View Post

I had installed Avast Mac Security because I read it is a good malware/spyware firewall etc.

Then I installed AVG Antivirus (free version) because I read a good review of it's anti-virus capability.
    The general consensus among most Mac-Forums members is that it is unnecessary to install anti-virus/anti-malware products like this. Many times they:

- put a drain on computing resources (slow the computer down)
    - they give false positives (freaking out the user)
    - there really isn't anything to find

* Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    In addition to the excellent advice given by Nick; you now apparently have 2 AV apps competing with each other. One may be seeing the other as an incompatibility.

I urge you to uninstall both products ASAP. They serve no purpose on a Mac; and they don't usually pick up what is important to all computer users, namely, Malware.

To protect against such intrusions, download Ghostery, Adblock plus and, probably, ScamZapper. These are all plugins to your Browser.

Finally Malwarebytes can scan your Mac for any malware (including any left behind by your AVs).

All of these apps mentioned, are free.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    ...you now apparently have 2 AV apps competing with each other. One may be seeing the other as an incompatibility.
    Could be kind of a semi-houmourous situation. Two AV apps installed…each of which is detecting the other as a possible problem…and both detections are false-positives!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to have some protection against possible viruses .... so can anybody tell me which of these programs are the best, and why? Then I'll uninstall the other.

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    they don't usually pick up what is important to all computer users, namely, Malware.

To protect against such intrusions, download Ghostery, Adblock plus and, probably, ScamZapper. These are all plugins to your Browser.

Finally Malwarebytes can scan your Mac for any malware (including any left behind by your AVs).

Ian
    Thanks Ian :-) I'll install these on the weekend.

There's nothing else needed for security? I'm just asking because I know nothing about this type of thing.

Thanks everyone :-)

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Uninstall both. You don't need them as they don't do anything useful on your mac.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @digital

Thanks Ian :-) I'll install these on the weekend.

There's nothing else needed for security? I'm just asking because I know nothing about this type of thing.
    If you read Nick's in post#2 and mine in post #3, we explained why AV software was not only unnecessary, but frequently a hindrance on a Mac. I'll add one more: many AVs don't allow, or corrupt, Apples's frequent updates because they perceive them as a "danger" in that the update often alters the root settings etc. So the AV blocks them or corrupts them or simply worries you with unnecessary alerts.

So this means disabling your AV when an update is required.

Practice safe computing, install the add-ons I suggested in Post #3 and you'll be fine.

Being new to a Mac opens up a whole new world. Enjoy.

Ian
    Ian

MacInWin
    Nonetheless, I'd still like to have some protection against possible viruses ....
    The problem is that there are NO viruses for the current OS X, so the current crop of A/V software has nothing to detect. And given that no-one has identified any vector or weak point in OS X for a virus to enter, it can't even look for unusual activity effectively. As Ian said, what it does do is look for changes in system files, but Apple does that in updating, so A/V often triggers on Apple updates, inappropriately and sometimes harmfully. If you have El Capitan, Apple has implemented what is called SIP, which prevents unauthorized changes to system files, which does a great job at protecting you. About all that happens on Macs is what is called malware (browser hijackers, add popups, redirectors, monitors, etc). To block them, as Ian also said, you just need AdBlock+, Ghostery, and maybe malwarebytes to remove anything that gets through. Other than that, stay away from torrents and dodgy sites on the Internet and you should be just fine. The internal, inherent security of OS X provides all the protection you need for now. IF, and that's a big IF, a virus is created and released for OS X, it will be headline screaming news, so you'll have plenty of warning of what to do to protect yourself.

So I'll add my vote: Ditch the A/V, it's not needed and it can be harmful.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Add me to the choir singing the praises of anti-virus-software-free Macs.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Guess you are from the Windows background and feel semi-naked without AV protection? Look at the this way. There are no Mac OS X viruses, malware certainly. When you run your AV software, and download the latest data base, they are all for Windows viruses and can be quite the resource hog for nothing.

Now if you are to run Windows via BootCamp or any other way, for sure AV softeare required big time.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Guess you are from the Windows background and feel semi-naked without AV protection? Look at the this way. There are no Mac OS X viruses, malware certainly. When you run your AV software, and download the latest data base, they are all for Windows viruses and can be quite the resource hog for nothing.
    That's right .... I've been with Windows for 25 years.

There are many apple AV programs for people to download, and some of them actually COST money, and one of the tech. guys with a tech segment on commercial AM radio (including taking calls from listeners with computer problems etc) said he uses an antivirus on his Mac (don't know who it was or what the software was that he recommended though .....I stumbled on it and wasn't really listening)

I can understand that they're probably 'benefiting' from the general public's fear of viruses (a fear like I have) but there must be a lot of people downloading them for them to be able financially to keep the products going.

As for speed .... it doesn't bother me a lot because I don't do much on it that requires speed. No games/gaming, no downloading (except for the odd app, which would be rare) no uploading .... So you can see that that part doesn't faze me.

Given all of this, maybe someone can tell me somewhere reputable that rates programs so I can compare the 2 AV products and decide which does the most?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    So, you have the expert views of long term mac users on this site but you would still rather believe and unknown person on a phone-in who may or may not have any idea what he was talking about?

The words 'Lost Cause' come to mind. Good luck and when you discover an OSX virus that no-one else has do please post on this site.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    To add to the others who have given excellent advice...

I work as an IT and have 30+ years of Windows experience. I have dealt with and eradicated thousands of viruses/malware issues over the years - on PCs. So when I got my first Mac, I installed and tried out every anti-virus product available for macs. I just did not feel safe without one. (Although I never installed two at a time! Never a good idea. )

When I started lurking on various mac forums so I could learn about this new creature called OS X, I discovered an overwhelming consensus among users that anti-virus apps for macs were a waste of time and could actually cause issues. Now I will admit to be sceptical and wanting to cling to my anti-virus app regardless, but after about a year of messing with them I finally decided to jump in and go "naked."

Now I occasionally run Malwarebytes for Mac to check for potential malware and Onyx for maintenance. I have four macs that are used for various purposes and they all run great with no issues.

So as a Windows user I know how you feel but trust me, you are wasting your time with anti-virus apps.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by digital View Post

I can understand that they're probably 'benefiting' from the general public's fear of viruses (a fear like I have) but there must be a lot of people downloading them for them to be able financially to keep the products going.
    It's called misinformation. People buy all sorts of products they don't need on a daily basis. Just because people are buying certain products does not make them necessary.

Please let me repeat what's been mentioned in the thread already. AV apps are designed to detect two things…specific threats & anomalies. Since there are no virus's for Mac's…there are no specific virus threats for a Mac AV app to detect. Mac AV apps can also be programmed to look for anomalies (strings of code that look suspicious)…and then flag them. But again…since there are no Mac virus's…if the AV app detect's an anomaly…it will be a false positive (meaning the AV app was wrong).

And guess what. If (next week, next month, or next year) a Mac virus does all of a sudden appear. The Mac AV app you install today is not going to 100% protect you from it. Not until the AV app is updated (with a virus definition) will the AV app detect this virus.

I've been involved in these sorts of conversations for 15 years (since Mac OS X was released in 2001)…and nothing has changed (no Mac virus threats). Of course let's be real. Someday there may eventually be a valid virus threat to Mac's. But even if this happens…it won't instantly be time for every Mac-User to run out, purchase, and install a Mac AV app (although every AV app developer will want us to think so…so they can make money).

Apple will be VERY VERY quick to design a solution to this threat. A Mac OS update and/or security update will be released almost immediately…and everything will be back to normal!

If you want to install a Mac AV app certainly go for it. And if you want to spend good money purchasing a Mac AV app…go for it. We are just trying to explain that you will be installing something that will have very little purpose (other than making your wallet a bit thinner).

- Nick

MacInWin
    Given all of this, maybe someone can tell me somewhere reputable that rates programs so I can compare the 2 AV products and decide which does the most?
    If you must persist in installing an AV application, search the internet using "OS X antivirus review" as the search term and go to wherever you want. They are mostly vendor sites, so they find their own to be "best." I didn't find a serious comparison by a reputable Mac user site, probably because nobody serious uses AV on Macs. Since none of them does anything, asking which "does the most" is futile. I don't mean to be harsh, but that's just how it is.

Thread Information