Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Questions About Interesting Mail App Surprises
    Your Mac's Specs
    2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
    Hi All!
    I have an older MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. (This computer is stuck at 10.6.8 as the highest OS it can use.)
    The Mail app is version 4.6 (Also the highest is can go)

Our internet service provider (WowWay) send a message that we have to change our outgoing server setting to Port 587 and check "Password" authentication or we would no longer be able to send mai, so I dutifully complied. (PS: Mail worked perfectly before I complied.)

None of the WowWay accounts would send mail. After a bunch of calls to their tech support with no answers beyond A) Buy a new computer & start over and B) Delete the mail accounts; I experimented around. I tried putting things back they way they were with no success. (We get one server that is for all WoWWay e-mail sub accounts that have separate addresses in Mail app))

I found that if I leave PASSWORD unchecked in Mail - Preferences - Accounts - (the Account Name) - Account Information - Edit SMTP Server List - Advanced the account will send mail. (the opposite of their instructions, but if Password is checked, it will not send mail)

I also now see that when I open the page to create a new message, there are two boxes with drop downs showing under the Subject line. Hovering shows that the one on the left says "Choose Which Address To Send this Message From" and the one on the right says "Choose which server to send this message with"

My Questions Are-
    All of my other (WowWay and non WowWay) accounts only have one box under the subject line. It is the Choose Which Address" one. Only the main WowWay account has it. Can I delete the extra box? I could not figure it out. WowWay says "Buy a new computer..."

Do you all know of a way that I can have Authentication = Password checked like they ask and still get their new settings to work?

Thanks Very Much for your input. It is greatly appreciated!
    Paul

chas_m
    Quote Originally Posted by PGB1 View Post
    My Questions Are-
    All of my other (WowWay and non WowWay) accounts only have one box under the subject line. It is the Choose Which Address" one. Only the main WowWay account has it. Can I delete the extra box? I could not figure it out. WowWay says "Buy a new computer..."
    WowWay is right -- you are overdue to buy a new(er) computer, but that is not the answer to the question ... they're just being lazy and/or trying to get you to make your life simpler and more secure by doing something you really should have a done a while ago.

The answer to getting rid of the second box is that you apparently have more than one WowWay outgoing server set up in your Mail program. Go into the preferences, and edit the server list to eliminate all but one WowWay server. Then you won't get that option.

Do you all know of a way that I can have Authentication = Password checked like they ask and still get their new settings to work?
    Nope. Their instructions are probably just wrong for a machine of your vintage, so leave password authentication for OUTGOING mail unchecked.

You are going to run into issues, upgrade and app obsolescence, and security problems of this nature more and more the longer you stick with that 10.6.8-limited machine. It is already not really safe for it to be online at all. I would urge you to replace it with a new(er) machine at your earliest possible convenience before you pick up some nasty malware bug.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for taking time to reply.
    I know I'm overdue (and would enjoy) for a new computer, but it is not a possibility at this time. Such is life.

Regarding: "to make your life simpler and more secure by doing something you really should have a done a while ago.", they had Port 25 as the required port until this change, so it is not something I could have done before. Gotta do what they say, right?

Unfortunately, I don't have more than one WowWay server in the list, hence my puzzlement. Oddly, there are some sub-accounts from WowWay that use the same server and none of them have the two boxes- only one. (Since I don't know the proper term, what I am trying to say is 'sub accounts' means 3 other e-mail addresses, all ending in WoWWay but all under the master account (the one that has two boxes).

Today, I got an e-mail from them telling me that I have not fixed the problem and must use Password. So, I suppose I'll call back. Maybe I will get someone there who can make their new requirements work with my computer. (At least I hope so.)

Thanks Again for writing,
    Paul

chas_m
    Quote Originally Posted by PGB1 View Post
    I know I'm overdue (and would enjoy) for a new computer, but it is not a possibility at this time. Such is life.
    Well, hopefully Christmas will be good to you.

Regarding: "to make your life simpler and more secure by doing something you really should have a done a while ago."
    I meant they are trying to tell you to get an updated/newer machine that adheres to modern security practices. That is, I'm afraid, ultimately the real answer -- or at least as much as I can determine without being familiar with WowWay and their settings/procedures.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    You could try one other thing, download another email client that works for 10.6.8 such as Thunderbird and see if it's possible to comply with WowWay's security requirements on that. It is a much more advanced email client than your version of Mail. You can find it here; https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird
    And I have checked that it is compatible with OS 10.6.8.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

chas_m
    Excellent suggestion Rod!

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank You both for your help. Tomorrow's the 'deadline' to find out if we'll still have mail.

I did make a mistake about compatibility with a newer OS than 10.6.8. I get pretty confused about such things. (I'm also too old to upgrade.) My MacBook Pro can upgrade if I add more RAM (limit is 4 GB) but my wife's is 6 months older and can not upgrade. I don't know if I'll spend on RAM for mine or wait until I can buy two new computers. (Maybe new for my wonderful wife & more RAM for me.) I'd like the added security that the newer OS' bring.

If the WoWWay person had explained why to buy a new computer as well (and politely) as you did, Chas, I would have understood the sentiment behind the statement. "Get with the times and spend some money on a new computer" from a stranger isn't exactly good public relations. Of course I also got the hard sell to get a Windows machine from each and every person from WoWWay who tried to help on this. I suppose that's because they are more comfortable with Windows than Mac OS. If I had Linux, they may have had a spontaneous melt down.

Thanks, Rod, for the suggestion about Thunderbird and for taking time to investigate its compatibility. It looks like a very intuitive program, so even I will be able to figure out how to use it and take advantage of its features. The documentation is excellent.

So, Thank You Chas & Rod for your help & suggestions! I hope you and your families and everyone reading have a wonderful, safe and peaceful (yet fun!) holiday time!
    Enjoy This Day!
    Paul

Thread Information