Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Removing Taboola from Chrome
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    From a predominantly Chrome (+ occasional Safari & Firefox) user, may I tap into the wealth of knowledge available within this thread (Mods plse move if necessary) to ask how one gets rid of 'invaders' (my terminology) in Chrome.

In particular, Taboola, which puts highly intrusive popunder ads beneath a video. It occurs only in LiveLeak LiveLeak.com - Redefining the Media which would indicate that's how it got into Chrome in the first place. AdBlock seems unable to deal with it.

I have searched Mac-Forums, and the general Web for instructions on how to remove Taboola, but all the information I've found relates to WinOS.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Note: Hugh, I moved your post to a new thread to ensure that the conversation stays on track.

I suppose an easy first step would be to check and see if extensions are present that might bring this about. Is there a Taboola extension?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks vansmith. No extension that I've been able to find. There's a wealth of reference to Taboola on the Web. It's a genuine 'burrower', that settles itself in the browser's engine. I've deleted a deal of browsing data, and will need to take time to see what effect might happen.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Have you tried the free adware removal tool from MalwareBytes?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    I agree with Lifeisabeach, download and run Malwarebytes (formerly AdwareMedic).

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, macOS X.15.3,.
    G'day mate tough luck Saturday bt I guess you will return!!!

Mlwarebytes formerly AdwareMedic is the shot.

trc.taboola.com/bloomberg ... help to remove | MacRumors Forums
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Unfortunately, looks like AdwareMedic does not work with OS 10.6, but I shall kick it into the other OS on my Mini HD. In the meantime, Taboola *seems* to have taken leave of absence, so perhaps the cleaning of Chrome has worked. I'd still like to find its name and location within Chrome. Thanks to all contributors.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    From a predominantly Chrome (+ occasional Safari & Firefox) user, may I tap into the wealth of knowledge available within this thread (Mods plse move if necessary) to ask how one gets rid of 'invaders' (my terminology) in Chrome.

In particular, Taboola, which puts highly intrusive popunder ads beneath a video. It occurs only in LiveLeak LiveLeak.com - Redefining the Media which would indicate that's how it got into Chrome in the first place. AdBlock seems unable to deal with it.

I have searched Mac-Forums, and the general Web for instructions on how to remove Taboola, but all the information I've found relates to WinOS.
    Hughvane this is how wikipedia describes Taboola;
    Taboola is a content marketing platform that provides a web widget to content creators on their website to show "Content You May Like" that includes links to related articles, videos, and slideshows, ... Wikipedia
    To get rid of it you need to use a Removal Tool, found here; Remove Taboola from your computer
    Amusingly enough it appears as though this site is also a victim.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Unfortunately MalwareBytes didn't remove the Taboola worm, and SpyHunter does not work with MacOS.

I cleared absolutely everything but Google's own content setting from Chrome, but the problem has persisted. I can use Safari to browse Liveleak, which I am doing with Yosemite (but not SnLpd - using my dual partition HD, see next), but that doesn't solve the Taboola issue.

To throw even more confusion into the works, Chrome with SnLpd on both this Mini and my Macbook no longer displays the Taboola ads in LiveLeak, so I must have done something useful there.

Any further thoughts on how to get rid of this invasive Taboola pest?

You could try downloading Find Any File and use it to do some searches on anything containing 'Taboola' and it just may find the culprit you can then Delete:
    Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you pm-r, I think you may have provided the necessary means to removing taboola. I have a question however about the removal process. Researching info about Taboola, I learned that it sets cookies. Strange then that Finder couldn't locate them (perhaps it was case-sensitive).

Using Find Any File, I have located the taboola.com cookies, and displayed them in TextEdit. My question is "will deleting those cookie text threads from TextEdit negatively affect the operation of the (Chrome) browser?"

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    It shouldn't. If you want to make sure though, simply post the location and contents and we can take a look.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Is it not possible to simply empty the browser cache of all cookies? Text Edit is just a reader so deleting those entries shouldn't effect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Thank you pm-r, I think you may have provided the necessary means to removing taboola. I have a question however about the removal process. Researching info about Taboola, I learned that it sets cookies. Strange then that Finder couldn't locate them (perhaps it was case-sensitive).

Using Find Any File, I have located the taboola.com cookies, and displayed them in TextEdit. My question is "will deleting those cookie text threads from TextEdit negatively affect the operation of the (Chrome) browser?"
    I take the attitude that if anything you can point to that was discovered to be the cause of the problem need to be Trashed.

That's why I like Find Any File so much, and especially it's option key + search to get root permissions and the resulting selections and Delete Immediately and poof, gone!!

Especially if such stuff came after, i.e.: it didn't even come with the browser you use, or even needed.

Your Mac's Specs
    Good question, but at a tangent. I switched into the Yosemite partition with the intention of locating taboola cookies using FAF. Cookie folders numerous, but nothing therein labelled taboola.com as in the SLpd partition.

What the search app did find on one of the backup drives however was a folder named 23MUWFZ7, and a file therein named #cdn.taboolasyndication.com. What is #cdn, and, relevantly, might removing it (from the external drive) affect the OS?
    Last edited by hughvane; 08-28-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Thread Information