Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Videos on yosemite
    I am unable to see videos with extensions avi and mpg on my MacBook Pro. I have the Yosemite Plattform. The media are quickTime player 10.4 and imovie 9.0.9. I need this for presentation in ppt. What I need to do or download to fix these issues????!!!. can you help??
    Thaks
    Sergio

Videos on yosemite

Your Mac's Specs
    27" MAC desktop 3.06 GHSintel Core2 duo 12GB 1067 MHz DDR3 YOSEMITE
    Quote Originally Posted by algui View Post
    I am unable to see videos with extensions avi and mpg on my MacBook Pro. I have the Yosemite Plattform. The media are quickTime player 10.4 and imovie 9.0.9. I need this for presentation in ppt. What I need to do or download to fix these issues????!!!. can you help??
    Thaks
    Sergio
    do a search for VLC player it works very well make sure you make it your default player.

VLC works but not with MOV. extensions. What solutions you think??

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    VLC works but not with MOV. extensions. What solutions you think??
    Quicktime plays .mov files itself. If you need one player to do it all, MPlayerX will fit the bill. I recommend this over and above VLC in any case.
    MPlayerX

EDIT: BTW... VLC does play .mov files also. At least it should. I have no trouble doing so. Just double-checked on myself.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Even with yosemite??

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Yes VLC works fine here on Yosemite.

however with VCL on yosemite I succeed with avi and mpg but was unable to run mov. quicktime doesn`t works too

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    however with VCL on yosemite I succeed with avi and mpg but was unable to run mov. quicktime doesn`t works too
    Then there's something wrong with that video. The .mov format is the one that Quicktime natively handles. There is no way Quicktime can't play it unless there is something wrong with it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

however some places in the internet mentions that quick time will have problems in yosemite plattform.

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    however some places in the internet mentions that quick time will have problems in yosemite plattform.
    Nonsense. Quicktime is Apple's software and it comes with Yosemite. I'm running Yosemite and can personally assure you that both Quicktime Player and the "legacy" Quicktime Player 7 work just fine. So can everyone else in these forums.

------
    ------

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    The only reported issues with Mavericks and Yosemite Quicktime is Apple switched video engines to the one they use in IOS. That broke some codecs that did FLV and some other strange formats, but NOT MOV. Can you show us a report that playing MOV is broken on QT in Yosemite?

BTW, for the FLV and other formats that no longer work in QT, go to Apples site and get Quick Time 7. With that installed you can find and download the good old Swiss Army Knife of Video Codecs, Perian! Then Quick Time 7 will play them all.

Either that or VLC which plays them without any help!

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    And if you're considering Mplayer read this first: The Safe Mac MPlayerX adware behaving like malware!
    Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent.

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    And if you're considering Mplayer read this first: The Safe Mac MPlayerX adware behaving like malware!
    Whaaaa??? I read up on this and am very disappointed here. I've never encountered any adware, but I've been using this for a few years now, long before they started bundling adware in, apparently. This is really really disappointing because it's a GREAT player. VLC freezes up when trying to play videos with styled subtitles but MPlayerX handles them like a champ.

As an aside... I've recently started using ClamXav to monitor my downloads folder just for kicks... it promptly notified me that there was adware here. OS X didn't stop me from running the installer, which I ran because from what I read, you have the option to not install the adware component. I didn't get that option. At all. (EDIT: and AdWare Medic didn't find anything afterwards. I wonder if the developer reconsidered this move?)

EDIT 2: I've read over the developer's blog and I think the adware component has actually not yet been implemented. He refers to updates to improve compatibility with Yosemite, but the last version was released in January 2014, long before Yosemite was released. It sounds like it's coming in the next version... FYI.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 05-26-2015 at 04:18 PM.

------
    ------

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I read that note from Thomas a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure it is the devs of MplayerX, although it could be. Would def suggest getting it direct from them, not via a 3rd party site.

There are some video sites out there where you can get (shall we say less than legal) copies of commercial movies that have a copy of MPlayerX that rotates with a couple of other players in one of those popup windows saying you need to upgrade your video player they push on their users. I'd guess those sites could very well be loading those apps with their own little nasties.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Videos on yosemite
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I read that note from Thomas a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure it is the devs of MplayerX, although it could be. Would def suggest getting it direct from them, not via a 3rd party site.
    The developer specifically mentions in his blog that he was going to monetize this to "be motivated" and knew this was going to be controversial

There are some video sites out there where you can get (shall we say less than legal) copies of commercial movies that have a copy of MPlayerX that rotates with a couple of other players in one of those popup windows saying you need to upgrade your video player they push on their users. I'd guess those sites could very well be loading those apps with their own little nasties.
    Ahh... this makes sense now. I've found unwanted downloads in my Downloads folder a couple times and MPlayerX was in them. I assumed it was malware posing as MPlayerX and immediately deleted it, but now you have me thinking that this is the adware version. The installer I got from the link on the developer's site didn't have any adware in it, but that comes from Sourceforge and I wonder if bundling adware is against their rules.

Or not... just did a quick search and apparently quite a bit of software coming from Sourceforge is bundled with adware. Hmm. Well, time to find a new media player. VLC is just too buggy for me (seizes up completely with styled subtitles, which I find really odd that they haven't addressed yet).
    https://startpage.com/do/search?quer...are&ext=safari

------
    ------

Thread Information