Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defragment

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacOS Mojave MacBookPro ( Retina,15 inches Late 2013 Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 16GB,
    Defragment
    I Have MacBook Pro Retina for a year now a nd wonder if I should Defragment the drive, if I do whats the best software for it. I have Yosemite 10.10.1

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    iDefrag is a recommended app for this. Defragmenting on OS X is usually not needed all that often...since OS X defrags on it's own. Only files smaller than (I think) 20 meg are not auto-defragmented.

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

And by the way (just in case). You're not supposed to defrag SSD or flash drives. Not good for them.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just noticed that you have a retina MBP. You should not be defragmenting this computer. Due to its flash storage.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    ^^^^

defragging an SSD - bad juju...

One more maintenance item you don't have to worry about.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacOS Mojave MacBookPro ( Retina,15 inches Late 2013 Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 16GB,
    Thanks for the tip. Its great to be here with lots of help
    Again Thanks
    Ron

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    And for anyone else reading this thread.... If you're using Yosemite, iDefrag is not yet ready for Yosemite. The developers have been dragging their feet now for several months saying they will have a version out for Yosemite soon. In any event, like stated, do not defrag a SSD.

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    And for anyone else reading this thread.... If you're using Yosemite, iDefrag is not yet ready for Yosemite. The developers have been dragging their feet now for several months saying they will have a version out for Yosemite soon. In any event, like stated, do not defrag a SSD.
    Hi Guys - this has obviously come up on other threads since I've been a member here (have posted before on the topic) - SO, learned NOT to do any defrag on a SSD drive which is on my MBPro (early 2013).

However, wife is on an iMac (early 2013) w/ a 1 TB fusion drive, so 128 GB SSD component - the drive is only about 15% filled and likely will not get much above that level - my feeling is not to even worry about a defrag issue; BUT, let's say that drive in someone else's use nears its capacity, would one then consider defragmentation? Might just be a concern for others, I guess? Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    - my feeling is not to even worry about a defrag issue;
    This would probably be my first thought. But I know not all folks feel this way. But I can see how the "hybrid drive" angle does complicate things some what. So maybe the "don't defrag an SSD" rule still applies.

BUT, let's say that drive in someone else's use nears its capacity, would one then consider defragmentation?
    Depend's on what is meant by "near capacity". Let's say we're talking 5% or less free space. Remember our approx. 20% free space rule. If this computer only had 5% space left...they should already be off-loading stuff just to get to 20% free for better performance.

Getting back to 20% free space (by off-loading unneeded stuff) will probably do a lot more for this computer than defragmenting would at 5% free space.

- Nick

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Can't answer for a fusion drive - I'd be looking to look to the iDefrag folks and see what they say regarding that. Will never have a fusion drive in one of my computers.

I will guess that I'm likely one of the 2 biggest proponents of defragging in this forum.

For the casual OS X users, those who never fill their drive over 25-30% used, I wouldn't recommend a cash outlay for a defragger. Most of them are so casual in their use, they would never really experience (or recognize) the benefit vs the cash outlay and the time it takes for a defrag. The 2 second or even 10 second faster boot time typically means nothing. And maybe a 1 or 2 second faster app launch time means nothing to them. My wife's Macs have never been defragged and she's never commented about her system being slow that related to an issue that could only be solved by a defrag. She runs OnyX about once a year and that seems to keep her machine running the way she expects. If you ask her if her machine is still running as fast as the day she got it, the answer is yes - and I know better, because of the difference between mine and hers.

When working on friends machines that are complaining about it being slow, I refuse to run a defrag on a drive with less than ~20% free space. The free space issue has to be taken care of first.

A defrag will not cure the problem inherent with a mechanical drive that is using the last 20% of the drive space. This has nothing whatsoever to do with how much free space an operating system or app may require, and has everything to do with the nature of mechanical drives.

Running a defrag on a friend's machine with less than 20% free space because they're complaining their machine is slow - they're going to be calling you back in a week or a month saying it's slowed down again.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I will guess that I'm likely one of the 2 biggest proponents of defragging in this forum.
    Lol Tom...I know you are!

Defragging doesn't do any harm...so I personally have nothing against defragging. Of course like we both advised...no defragging on SSD or flash drives.

- Nick

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @sarah362:

We know you work for Stellar Phoenix.

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @sarah362:

We know you work for Stellar Phoenix.
    Chscag - what happened to Sarah's post - I know that I read it earlier this morning!

Well, I'm still looking into Apple Fusion drive defragmentation - here is a short Discussion from iFrag - a brief concluding statement is quote below.

Also, here is their TAKE on SSD defragmentation - Dave

We think, based on what we know so far, that it probably isn’t worthwhile defragmenting a Fusion Drive....
    Last edited by RadDave; 02-25-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    Chscag - what happened to Sarah's post - I know that I read it earlier this morning!
    We said "Bye Bye" to that post!

- Nick

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I used to worry about defragging drives a bit. Before I knew better I'd defrag when the drive defrag hit 5 -10%. In recent years I've only found two instances where defragging a drive made any significant difference:

1. I was doing some video capture pushing around multi gigabyte video files and a few large audio files. Eventually the drive became fragmented enough to make a difference.
    2. On one of the occasions when I set up Boot Camp the drive was fragmented enough that there was not enough contiguous space to create the Windows partition. In that case I updated the clone I had, erased the drive and cloned back to the internal drive.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Defragment
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    We said "Bye Bye" to that post!

- Nick
    Well, that's what I thought - after finding the information about iFrag not recommending using defragmentation on an Apple fusion drive, I wondered what kind of drive was in her Mac Mini? Dave

Thread Information