Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Back-up question.
    Hello all,

Its been a while. I have a question that I know the brain trust that is Mac-Forums can answer. My best Gal has finally joined us in the use of a Mac ( after being plied with an iPhone and an Apple TV ) any way....

New 11 inch MBA with a 128 gig ssd. iTunes and and iPhoto librarys will be kept on an external drive because of size. I want to set her up with the same back-up plan i have used for the years I have been coming here ( a CCC drive on my desk next to a TM drive & another CCC drive at a buddies house ) but am not sure this is the best approach for this application.

While i believe both TM and CCC will both be able to read and backup this drive...what would be the restore process from say The CCC clone in the advent the internal ssd craps out, or the external gets left behind some where? Since the CCC is a bootable clone will it then have different partitions or act as one large boot drive? I hope i am explaining this right...

So I guess my question is can you think of a better way to save her data and my mind?

Thank you
    Clay

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, OS X.15.4,.
    Long time no hear Clay.

Most SSD manufacturers are not keen on cloning to SSD, and in fact OWC technicians are very strongly against this. Their advice is to do a clean install and then use Migration Assistant to transfer files over from a cloned external. Apparently the problem does not occur cloning the SSD to a platter drive, but does cause problems the other way around.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Where the heck have you been guy? Good to hear from you again.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Hello Harry, Its good to hear from you. I hope all is well for you.

Thank you for the info I was not aware of these limitations and am glad to know this. With this in mind it looks like my way has become a bit antiquated and should be brought up to speed. Perhaps a 4 prong approach with the addition of an 128 gig external ssd for the system clone....then still using a platter for the clone of the external and another for the TM of both the system and the external. Am I correct in my belief that TM will backup all connected externals?

ThankYou
    Clay

P.S. I have let my girl know that she really needs to join this community because there is so very much to learn and just reading can answer questions you didn't even know you had so be on the lookout for KaJa1212 she will have lots of questions...

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Where the heck have you been guy? Good to hear from you again.

Hey sly, Good to hear from you. I have been so freakin busy and doing a great deal of family stuff. It seams like i very rarely even pick my MacBook up....god bless the iPhone! But my lady has come to the light and I am using my machine more and more as we sit together and learn...So ill be around much more I am sure I will even be continuing the education I started here as with Lion I am a rookie.

I hope all is well with you my friend.
    Clay

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Welly, welly, welly, look who has decided to pop in. Long time no see my good man!

I'm not sure how CCC works but SuperDuper creates a copy of one particular partition. You might want to check that. The question I have is, how many partitions do you have on the machine? Don't you only need to back up the one?

You've got yourself a fairly comprehensive backup procedure there. I'd say that any plan that involves TM and some bit for bit copy (like you get with CCC to SuperDuper) is more than sufficient.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Hello Vansmith My dear old friend. How are things in the great white north? Only the one true partition but with the two libraries on an external. I can see now that perhaps my backup system might be a bit over board but after restoring not one but twice after catastrophic hdd failures I am just a wee bit troubled at the thought of dialing it back...

Clay

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    I can't fault you for being cautious - better to be safe that sorry. As for your plan, keeping tabs on three different drives is going to get tricky. TM is very limiting in that it really only works with the disks in the computer it's plugged into. The best I can think of right now would be to partition a drive into two - ise one partition for CCC or TM and the other for manual backup of the other two drives. It's a bit of a pain but it should get the job done.

I'm doing well, trucking along as always. It's cold outside but does that really surprise anyone? How's life with you?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Back-up question.
    Your Mac's Specs
    It's real good. Actually better then its been in a long time. Job is going real well and all is good with the family.

Thread Information