Anyone use Google Sketchup?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    I've toyed around with Sketchup from time to time, but never really got into it for project planning until recently. I've never done any sort of CAD/CAM before and I was surprised how much fun it is to use Sketchup. So far, I've used it to do some renderings of my deck - eventually I plan to draw my entire house to use to plan projects. It's slow going as I don't understand all of the tools just yet, but I'm still amazed that this is a free program.

If you've ever needed to conceptualize a building project, it's definitely something to look into - and the basic version is completely free.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, if anyone is interested, I created my first model in Sketchup today. It's far from complete, but it's close. I still need to add in little things like railings and my deck, but I've managed to model my house to the extent of my capability with Sketchup. If anybody has any pointers, I sure would appreciate it.

http://home.comcast.net/~cwa107/forumimages/house.skp
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    I'm no good with modelling/drawing so I can't be an expert here. That said, it looks good. I would suggest adding some brick material from here. To do so, go to Window > Materials > Brick Icon > In the drop down list, select Brick and Cladding > Choose brick style > Click walls to add "bricks".

You'll also see that there is roofing and blinds in that list. If you go to Window > Components, you can also add components such as grass and other landscaping materials.

I tried Sketckup a while ago as I figured it would be an easy way to make quick 3D models. It was but I never went much further. I'll stick to programming and stay away from the art. I can't even draw a stickman properly .
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks!

Adding the textures are my next steps after I finish framing it all up. I've still got a few problems that are probably just related to my inexperience.

One of the problems is that my house is not on a flat lot. Basically, the yard slopes down at the sides, and then levels off at the back. So, in effect, my basement is exposed at the rear of the house, making it three stories back there.

This is why I didn't draw the deck, because there is actually a patio underneath the deck. So, since I can't figure out how to modify the grade of the surrounding lot, that will remain as it is for now.

The other issue is that you can clearly see that there is a roof over the front porch. That porch has a railing around it and support posts. The porch is also about 8" off the ground, so the sill of the front door is not level with the windowed area just to the left. For the sake of my sanity in drawing the porch roof (long story), I didn't bother to draw porch.

I guess over time I'll learn some more tricks, but I do find it frustrating how at times Sketchup does the thinking for you, when it really just needs to stop assuming and let you do what you want to do.

Anyway, I'm having fun - this is my first real adventure into 3D modeling and so far, I like it. Nice to get back into doing something creative.

When I got my MBP last August I was looking for a drafting program to replace Autosketch I used under XP. So, I ran across Sketchup and installed it, took some of the tutorials and was impressed but didn't really have a project at the time.

Now I've got a remodeling project I'm starting so I took another look at Sketchup. They've done some really clever things to help make 3D drawing intuitive, especially if you compare it to something like Pro Engineer which was a nightmare last time I used it.

I've barely scratched the surface of Sketchup but remain impressed and agree with CWA that it is quite nice to work with.

Nice job on your house. It's going to be a while before I get to that level of complexity.

BTW: here is a really good way to learn the program if you've got a dual monitor setup: Put Sketchup in one monitor and bring up the Google help for Sketchup in the other. Anytime you are not sure about a function bring it up in the help screen and try it out in the Sketchup screen.
    www.dynostep.com
    engine simulation software

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Yeah did a POA for Theatrical Design using google sketch up. I've never used it before but after messing around with it for a few hours I managed to make something interesting.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Your Mac's Specs
    17" MBP 2.4GHz Santa Rosa C2D, 4GB, 160GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I've toyed around with Sketchup from time to time, but never really got into it for project planning until recently. I've never done any sort of CAD/CAM before and I was surprised how much fun it is to use Sketchup. So far, I've used it to do some renderings of my deck - eventually I plan to draw my entire house to use to plan projects. It's slow going as I don't understand all of the tools just yet,...
    Just make sure that if you share models with others, decide on a common units of measure (metric, decimal, architectural units, etc.) That way you won't get unexpected scaling problems.

I'm starting to use it in a non-professional capacity: designing some cat furniture!
    --Will
    San Jose
    Fighting for a Crashless Society...

Thread Information