Update iPod Touch to new Apple ID

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s
    I have an iPod Touch Model MD720LL/A with iOS 9.3.5. Six months ago I changed my Apple ID.

I am able to sign into appleid.apple.com/ with my new Apple ID and password, and my Apple devices are displayed there. I am also able to sign into iCloud.com. My iMac and iPhone recognize the new Apple ID, and so does the Apple App Store. But I am unable to figure out how to get the iPod to stop prompting me for a password for the old Apple ID.

When I turn on the iPod, there displays below the time and date, "Apple ID Verification, Enter the password for (my former Apple ID) in Settings." When I open Settings, there displays "Apple ID Verification, enter the password for (my former Apple ID) in Settings" The choices there are Not Now & Settings. If I click on Settings, I am prompted to enter the password for the former Apple ID. The choices there are Cancel and Sign in. I cannot Sign In because I do not remember what was the password associated with the former Apple ID.

I only use the iPod for music when I'm on a treadmill, so maybe who cares? But still ...

I will appreciate any suggestions.
    Last edited by stefanmaine; 05-23-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    One of the hazards of changing to a new Apple ID. You're not the only one who has run into this problem.

You can try restoring the iPod Touch but that means wiping it. I believe if you restore it, you will then be able to list it with your new Apple ID. The only catch here is that it may ask you for the password before it will let you wipe it.

The only other thing I can suggest is call Apple and ask them. If you have the original purchase receipt for the Touch, Apple may be able to reset it for you.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s
    A couple of hundred years ago when Microsoft was pretty much the only source, a friend of mine who was an electronics genius, used to argue there was no point in asking Microsoft for assistance in untangling glitches of their making, because their response is always, "It's not a bug; it's a feature."

I expect Apple will argue similarly in this instance: "Of course it's impossible for you to change the Apple ID on your iPod Touch. That's not a glitch; it's a feature to protect you from theft."

As I wrote earlier, my iPod's function is solely to produce music when I'm on the treadmill, and that's pretty much only in Winter ... which in Maine is pretty much most of the year. So, I'll live with it.

As always, I thank you for being there. I've lost count of how often you have helped me, but it's been a lot. And I appreciate it.

Thread Information