Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iPod replacement
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    iPod replacement
    Hope this the appropriate Forum.

Between us, my wife and I have three iPods.

One of them has just died. I am looking for an equivalent player that is capable of being placed in a dock, like the iPod.

We have several Bose docking stations that have fabulous stereo sound and without a music player that can dock with them, these expensive items will become redundant.

Any suggestions?

PS. I know about Bluetooth options and I know that’s the forward, but still.........

Ian
    Ian

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hope this the appropriate Forum.

Between us, my wife and I have three iPods.

One of them has just died. I am looking for an equivalent player that is capable of being placed in a dock, like the iPod.

We have several Bose docking stations that have fabulous stereo sound and without a music player that can dock with them, these expensive items will become redundant.

Any suggestions?

PS. I know about Bluetooth options and I know that’s the forward, but still.........
    Hi Ian - some thoughts but likely no ideal solution(s) - I have a 10+ y/o iPod Touch 2G w/ the 30-pin dock (assume although not clear from above that whichever iPod models you own and your Bose stations are using this same 'old' Apple standard - if not, then the rest of my comments may make no sense, sorry?).

I have my iPod Touch docked in a Sangean desk radio in a bedroom (first pic below) - I also use to carry the device on the road w/ a BT speaker for music in our hotel/condo rooms - the radio puts out great sound but I was thinking of buying a newer generation iPod Touch, of course, w/ only the lightning connector - I looked at potential adapters (like the one in the 2nd pic which may no longer be made?); so, if BT and/or using an AUX port are not what you want, then possibly a docking adapter (if available & reliable) would be an option?

As to my solution, I bought a new iPad Pro and loaded all of my MP3 music, so I simply use that device 'on the road' w/ the BT speaker - the iPod Touch stays in the Sangean radio - when the iPod decides to 'die', then I'll have to come up w/ my own solution. Not much help but good luck. Dave
    SanjearRCR10 copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 12.36.44 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Do the Bose gizmos have a connection for a 3.5 mm headphone jack? If so, something like this is worth a try. It basically gives the device it's attached to the oportunity to pair with a Bluetttoth device. So, going forward your Bluetooth gizmo could work with almost any device that has Bluetooth. I use one to add wireless capability to a headset that doesn't have Bluetooth.

There are similar devices that add Bluetooth transmission capability. For the Bluetooth transmitter devices don't get one that can be used as a mic (taking calls) unless you can turn that off otherwide the music will have a bit of a hollow sounding echo to it.

These devices run for a few hours but the batteries are rechargeable.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I sincere thanks to both of you.

Dave, as you surmised, the newer iPod Touches have the lightening port and I cannot find a lightening to dock adapter cable.

Sly, again, many thanks for taking time out to reply. The Bose standalone system has no headphone jack connection facility nor does it have any form of BT connectivity.

We still have two other iPods but they are much older than the one that died (it was just under 5 years old), so I guess it’s only a matter of time till the others go.

It just feels a shame that an expensive Bose system will soon become redundant.

Thanks, guys.

Ian
    Ian

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I sincere thanks to both of you.

Dave, as you surmised, the newer iPod Touches have the lightening port and I cannot find a lightening to dock adapter cable.

Sly, again, many thanks for taking time out to reply. The Bose standalone system has no headphone jack connection facility nor does it have any form of BT connectivity.

We still have two other iPods but they are much older than the one that died (it was just under 5 years old), so I guess it’s only a matter of time till the others go.

It just feels a shame that an expensive Bose system will soon become redundant.
    Hi again Ian - just perusing Amazon, the two cabled options below would seem to be feasible but in the quote, the statement is made for 'charging only' and not audio (not sure why not since for newer iDevices w/o an earphone jack, a lightning adapter can be used, I believe?) - the only other 'gizmo' found is a 30-pin - BT adapter - not sure if that would be of interest?

Finally, the only other thought is whether there may be some 'used' or 'refurb' 30-pin iPod models on the market, such as eBay? Dave

It Supports iOS 11 and above and lets you connect your latest 8-pin devices to older 30-pin devices, components or charging docks with 30-Pin ports. Good for charging newer Phone and Pad from older 30 Pin chargers and Docking Stands. NOTE: FOR CHARGING ONLY, DOES NOT SUPPORT AUDIO OUTPUT. Compact design, light, easy to carry and store.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 5.20.09 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

iPod replacement
    Am I being too much of a simpleton to suggest just purchasing a used iPod to replace the one that died????

Actually I think my wife has one in her desk drawer but that won't help your situation.

- Patrick
    ======

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    You have all been very generous with your time and I appreciate that hugely.

My reluctance to look for used iPods is based partly on the fact that they stopped making them in 2014, I believe, which makes any second hand one "old" in digital terms; and partly because I have never used eBay or Craig's List or similar. Sad me, no doubt.

Dave, I am going full out to explore the suggestions you posted. Will provide F/U. Thank you.

Ian
    Ian

iPod replacement
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    iPod replacement
    Ian just noticed this thread. I had the same problem in with a stereo bedside clock/radio/iPhone dock. My iPod 80Gb click wheel device died and my iPhone was the new lightning bolt connection while the dock on the bedside device was the old 30 pin plug. I found a one price adapter but it made the phone too high and unsupported so I opted for a short cable adapter. Not as convenient for viewing but charged and played music just fine. Might you not be able to get a second hand iPhone to use as a dedicated music player? It wouldn’t need a SIM card or a great battery or much else and 64Gb would be enough I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    Might you not be able to get a second hand iPhone to use as a dedicated music player? It wouldn’t need a SIM card or a great battery or much else and 64Gb would be enough I think?
    That's a great idea. In fact it kind of sits with how I thought we might go.

What I've done so far, is purchase the BT "dongle thing" that Dave suggested (the bottom one of the three) that is designed to work with the Bose Sounddock. This would allow me or my wife to use our iPhone to connect to the "dongle thing" by BT; and it sits in the Sounddock, so allowing music from the iPhone to play via the Bose system.

I'm not desperate because we still have two much older iPods that work fine; but it can't be long before they kick the bucket.

Thanks for your time, & suggestion, Rod.

Ian
    Ian

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yes the “dongle thing” is a great idea. Didn’t know you could get them (shoulda known), if you can think of it chances are someone makes it. The good thing about having a dedicated device was the battery stayed charged and using my phone for other things didn’t interfere with the music.

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    My reluctance to look for used iPods is based partly on the fact that they stopped making them in 2014, I believe, which makes any second hand one "old" in digital terms; and partly because I have never used eBay or Craig's List or similar. Sad me, no doubt.
    Stay away from used iPods of any kind. Generally, even if you should come across a great bargain, a used iPod won't last very long. Total waste of money.

We still have several iPod Nanos and iPod Shuffles that work. But over the years we have probably gone through 3 Nanos and goodness knows how many shuffles. The problem with most of them is the battery wears out and it's almost impossible to replace it yourself.

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    Here is the cable I bought to connect my iPhone to the stereo bedside unit.

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    Great idea, Rod. Didn't know you could get a lightening to dock adapter. Will pursue this. Thanks a bundle.

Ian
    Ian

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Nice find Rod. I thought there was such a thing but I was hsving trouble finding it. It's certainly worth a try and should work.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

iPod replacement
    Your Mac's Specs
    I did think it might have been a third party product but careful checking shows its actually an Apple made connector. Hope they still stock/produce them, if not Belkin have a lot of connector cables for Apple devices.

Thread Information