Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Head_Unit View Post
    Um, people, why not select "manually manage" instead of "sync"? I haven't "synced" in years because
    a) my music library got bigger than the device capacity
    b) issues like @Minsk59 but from sharing a device between multiple computers
    As for a different answer to your question, I have not put music in iTunes in ages. I do indeed use it to TRANSFER the music, but via drag-and-drop. In iTunes, you have to get the device (iPod) icon visible, and minimize the iTunes window so you can also see a Finder window. Grab your music file(s) in Finder and drag onto the device icon. Presto! The stuff copies over without actually being in iTunes at all.
    The issue is, as far as I know, he will never be able to get the existing music on this iPod that he "inherited" onto his Mac since he didn't purchase that music. I'm also not sure if he'll be able to manually transfer any songs on his Mac to the iPod without it also triggering an erasure of the existing music. I would also add that even if there is some other method (via other software) to bypass this, I could never in good conscience condone that.
    Last edited by usagora; 01-29-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

transferring MP3 files from computer to ipod
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    +1. I agree. Don't own the Music; you're stuck with playing it. Can't transfer to iTunes, nor add songs from the Mac.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks. Since posting, I have got another Ipod which is synced with my computer so there should be no obvious obstacle to moving the downloaded podcasts from computer to Ipod. This is what I did: I opened Itunes: File → Add to Library → select podcasts → open

Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong and where will Itunes save the podcasts?

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Minsk59 View Post
    Thanks. Since posting, I have got another Ipod which is synced with my computer so there should be no obvious obstacle to moving the downloaded podcasts from computer to Ipod. This is what I did: I opened Itunes: File → Add to Library → select podcasts → open

Nothing happens.

thanks again.
    This screenshot is from the article I linked you to earlier:

After you click on your iPod, select Podcasts from the left column, then in the main pane, be sure "Sync Podcasts" is selected. Then sync.
    -Jonathan

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried doing what you say but
    1. clicking on the Ipod symbol does nothing.
    2. Selecting 'Podcasts' and then 'sync podcasts' does nothing because the 2 podcasts in question don't appear anywhere. i.e. I can't add them because i can't find them
    3. I read the article again but it dose not envisage the problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1

Nothing happens.

thanks again.
    With these steps, you are only adding the podcasts to your library, not to the iPod. Since the iPod is already in your library nothing will happen, or it may have added another copy to your library? What version of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS are you using? And what are the OS and iPod versions of both iPods you are working with? Are they exactly the same?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried doing what you say but
    1. clicking on the Ipod symbol does nothing.
    2. Selecting 'Podcasts' and then 'sync podcasts' does nothing because the 2 podcasts in question don't appear anywhere. i.e. I can't add them because i can't find them
    3. I read the article again but it dose not envisage the problem.
    1. Just to be clear - the screenshot in my previous post is what you will see after you've clicked on the iPod symbol. This is the symbol I was referring to clicking on:

it appears after your iPod is connected and is recognized.

2. I'm confused. Did you not subscribe to these Podcasts through the iTunes Store? They should be in your library if you did. What kind of iPod is this? Is it an iPod touch? If so, then you can also subscribe to podcasts using the Podcasts app on it and thus the problem is solved.

You may find this article helpful:

For Podcast Fans: Frequently Asked Questions
    https://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/fanfaq.html
    -Jonathan

Jonathon, thanks. The situation has simplified itself. I have just discovered that I 'somehow' managed to transfer one of these down-loaded podcasts from the desktop into what I suppose is the Itunes podcast 'library'. It sits in a folder named ‘X’. I could then load it (sync it?) to the Ipod in the normal way.
    Question: How do I find this folder X in the library so I can transfer other podcasts into it?
    For some reason, if I go to Finder — Music — Itunes media — Itunes — Podcasts, there is no corresponding 'X' folder, which means I cannot drag the podcasts into a non-existent folder.
    Any ideas?
    (I will of course try to download directly from internet to ipod but I want to understand this other problem too.)

Jonathon, thanks. The situation has simplified itself. I have just discovered that I 'somehow' managed to transfer one of these down-loaded podcasts from the desktop into what I suppose is the Itunes podcast 'library'. It sits in a folder named ‘X’. I could then load it (sync it?) to the Ipod in the normal way.
    Question: How do I find this folder X in the library so I can transfer other podcasts into it?
    For some reason, if I go to Finder — Music — Itunes media — Itunes — Podcasts, there is no corresponding 'X' folder, which means I cannot drag the podcasts into a non-existent folder.
    Any ideas?
    (I will of course try to download directly from internet to ipod but I want to understand this other problem too.)
    As you stated, your podcasts should be located under Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Podcasts

I'm not sure where the folder name "X" came from, unless you're just using "X" as a placeholder for another name that you want to keep private.

Each podcast should have a separate folder inside that Podcasts folder I believe. So move all your podcasts into that directory, and then try dragging them into the iTunes window to import them. Then try syncing them as we talked about before.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest removing anything from the Podcasts folder under iTunes Media and just subscribe to the podcasts through the iTunes store to start from scratch.
    Last edited by usagora; 01-29-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    -Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    You need to add them into your iTunes library, and not just drag and drop the files into a folder. In iTunes Preferences, there is an option, to “copy files into your Media folder”, and if that is not selected, the files stay where they are, and iTunes links to the files.

To add the podcasts, select File > Add to Library, like you did previously.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information