Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: iPod Advice

iPod Advice
    I am hoping for a bit of advice please.My wife's Zen, which she uses to listen to radio mostly with a bit of recorded music, is on the way out and I am looking to get her a replacement MP3 plus radio for the birthday.Her iPhone is old and it would make better sense in some ways to buy a new phone but because we don't have call and data packages, she prefers to depend on the radio over aerial as opposed to over internet as the Wi Fi can be hit and miss when out and about.Is the iPod Nano the better bet value for money wise?Your suggestions and advice would be very welcome.Thank you

iPod Advice
    The iPod Nano is a good size audio player with support for radio (and even video if you don't mind the tiny screen ). I've got the 6th gen iPod Nana and it works great. The only thing you have to remember for the radio is that it needs a wired headphones, the cable is used as an antenna. So if you listen with a set of Bluetooth wireless headsets, you will not have radio functionality. I use it primarily over Bluetooth to my headphones and the car.

The iPod Nano has a single 16GB choice and if you just use it for audio files, you can fill about 7-9 days worth of music on it without any problems..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

iPod Advice
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Agree with Ashwin. We just bought a 16 GB Nano (latest version) from Best Buy here in the US. They were on sale for $139.00 (16 GB), $10 discount from the regular price. And as Ashwin says, you will need to attach headphones in order to hear the radio.

Thank you both Ashwin and chscag for taking the time to reply.Unfortunately or maybe fortunately my wife's iPhone4 has today finally packed in(surprise surprise) and she now needs a phone and iPod has been abandoned.So now it's off to trawl through the Apple site with the usual agonising over which one to buy.Always an interesting experience with her not actually wanting a phone but needing one and me arguing that you get what you pay for and to buy the latest model!!!Thank you again.I know this is off topic slightly but would there be much hassle changing registration details etc on my iPhone 6S to her name as she is suggesting that I take the 7 if we get one and she takes my 6S?
    Last edited by Irishman; 07-06-2017 at 01:44 PM.

iPod Advice
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Don't gorget about the refurb section, https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks ferrarr.I'm in Ireland and they have no refurbished phones

iPod Advice
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I know this is off topic slightly but would there be much hassle changing registration details etc on my iPhone 6S to her name as she is suggesting that I take the 7 if we get one and she takes my 6S?

It might be better opening a new thread, but the short answer is that it's very easy to pass an iPhone from husband to wife or, of course, from wife to husband.

You sign out of find my phone and all other features like iCloud etc.

In effect, you wipe your phone as if you were going to sell it.

Then you open it in iTunes as new and restore from her backup.

I can post a step by step info on this if you want. Over the years, my wife has had several hand-me-downs from me - iPhones and iPads. Needless to say she has also had lots of brand new devices.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums
    Ian

iPod Advice
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It might be better opening a new thread, but the short answer is that it's very easy to pass an iPhone from husband to wife or, of course, from wife to husband.
    It's very easy if you both are using the same Apple ID. Yes, I know that sometimes our wives wish to be independent and have their own Apple ID, but it's so much more convenient to use just one for both of you.

Thank you Ian and chscag. Unfortunately I didn't know we could have the same Apple ID. I would very much appreciate it if you could do a step by step Ian. Thank you

Thread Information