Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

post-backup problems.
    I backed up my itunes folder to an external hard drive and now my itunes is asking if I want to erase all the items in my device and sync to the new itunes folder. Needless to say I am leery of this option.

post-backup problems.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan33 View Post
    I backed up my itunes folder to an external hard drive and now my itunes is asking if I want to erase all the items in my device and sync to the new itunes folder. Needless to say I am leery of this option.
    Hello Nolan.. - welcome to the forum!

Just for starters, check in the iTunes Preferences -> Advanced to see what is now listed as your default location for the library (screen capture below showing where mine is located - blue arrow). Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thanks, David
    Thanks fro the reply. It appears my default is /Users/danielmc.../Music/iTunes/iTunes Media which seems correct...

I included the ellipsis in lieu of my full name.

post-backup problems.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan33 View Post
    Thanks fro the reply. It appears my default is /Users/danielmc.../Music/iTunes/iTunes Media which seems correct...
    Hi again - seems that you are fine w/ the default folder still being your internal HD. Are you not given a choice to reject the offering? My iTunes library is backed up to Time Machine and CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), and I also transfer my music folder to an external LaCie SSD just as a further backup, but I've never received such a message.

Now some do keep their iTunes library on an external drive to save space on their internal HD, which I've not done - so hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ some experience in transferring their iTunes folder. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Here's my error/problem message:
    When I plug my iphone into my computer and click sync music i get the following message: "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones from this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?" When I cancel, my sync options remain greyed out.

To try to retrace my footsteps, my startup disc was almost full, so I began moving items to the external hard drive. I dropped the whole itunes folder into the external hd and it copied more than 2800 songs. I did the same with pics and other items thinking I would remove them to make space and rotate in songs and pics from the external hd as I wanted to.

I felt the music was important, so I pulled the entire folder back and dropped it in, and I think it now reads it as a different folder or library or something...

Maybe that will help explain... Thanks for your advice.

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I am faced with the same disturbing choice. My iTunes database is, and always has been, on the same usb drive.

Thread Information