Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

ipod/pc speaker system info wanted!
    I have recently been researching into quality speaker systems as I now play all my music through my ipod and laptop, and I have come across some amazing looking speakers by Ferguson Hill (see attachment). These speakers look amazing, I have never seen anything like these before, they really are a thing of beauty and would look fantastic in my living room. However before I splash out on them I wanted to find out if anyone as heard them, I'm hoping they sound as good as they look! Any info gratefully received!! Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Ferguson Hill is creating some unique looking speakers that will make some folks drool in envy.

Check this one out - link.

From what I read a few years ago when I first saw them, all the reviews say they are pretty nice sounding, although you can get better sound for less money. You're definitely paying a few more dollars for their appearance than some other brands.

Check out this PC Mag review from '07.

I'd think if you have the cash and love the looks, doubt you'll be disappointed with them unless you're one with a good ear and already accustomed to better sounding speakers.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Your Mac's Specs
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    Call me old fashioned, but my life won't be complete until I get a set of these:

(Don't tell my wife. She may not understand!)

If I am going to spend $1,400 on speakers, I would much rather have a set of these Bose 901's any day of the week.

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    All I can say, if you'd rather have the Bose, you need to go visit a few good speaker stores and listen to any other speakers in that same price range and quit a few out there at 2/3 the price. I believe you'll come away not so impressed with them afterwards.

A whole lot of the retail stores carrying Bose can sell them because they're not carrying any other speaker even close to that price range.

Not to say they're bad speakers (although some would), but you can find better for less money and I like saving folks money where they can. You can find speakers lots better for the same money.

edit: Really, do yourself a tremendous favor. Speakers and their sound can be a really personal thing. Take plenty of time checking out speaker/subwoofer combos in your price range. I haven't bought speakers in close to 40 years now without visiting multiple shops and doing some serious listening - including carrying in my own CD's & DVD's to test them out with music and movies I'm quite familiar with.

You'll find some sets where you're hearing things you never knew was there. These are the ones to put in your final list. Most folks live with the same speakers for 5 & 10 years and even longer. It's worth the investment of time up front.

Your Mac's Specs
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    I know this is OT, but...

I have bought my share of speakers and fully well know how subjective it is. Anyway, this is all pretty much an academic exercise because the likelihood of spending that kind of money on speakers is pretty much nil... for now anyway. Besides, I don't have the back-end gear that could do these speakers justice.

The "Hi Fi" system here in the man cave is mostly stuff I bought in college over 30 years ago. The speakers back then were a pair of Electro-Voice Interface A's. I wish I hadn't sold them. My current speakers, Optimus Mach Two's (I know they are from Radio Shack, but they still sound great... and they were on sale!), are only about 20 years old and I have to use them in here because my wife says they don't match the décor of the living room! "Oh no! You're not putting those big ugly things in here!!"

One day I will get that McIntosh amp and preamp (with tubes, of course!) I have lusted after... one day.

Your Mac's Specs
    Oooh, the old McIntosh. I lusted after a pair of McIntosh speakers in the mid 70's - only $10k for the pair. But man, they sounded like you were sitting in the conductor's chair.

Your Mac's Specs
    2 iPod Touches and iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I lusted after a pair of McIntosh speakers in the mid 70's - only $10k for the pair.
    Darn! My PowerBall numbers didn't come through last night!

Ipod/pc speakers system
    Well it's Sunday now and I've spent the week going round HiFi shops listening to various speakers systems, from Bose to traditional hi fi set ups, but ended up going with my initial instinct - the Ferguson Hill FH007 mini system with sub woofer. I have been so impressed with the quality of this system - it was delivered yesterday and I am pleased to report that it really does sound as good as it looks... I do have to admit that it was the looks that really attracted me to it in the first place. The modern look of this system really makes it stand out from all others, it is elegant and beautiful. So thanks to everyone for their help and advice, I've ended up with the most amazing system and have justified the cost because I have invested in a quality audio system that really is unique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    Nice looking - congrats!

Have never seen them up close and personal. Didn't think they'd be thin enough to put up on a bookcase.

Ferguson Hill speakers
    Yes I know, I am absolutely made up with it...only problem is I have now fallen in love with the new Ferguson Hill home theatre system - have you seen that...watch this space (don't tell the husband!!!)

Thread Information