cleaning iPhone screen

cleaning iPhone screen
    I've been using rubbing alcohol to clean my iPhone XR screen, and actually the entire phone. Now I'm reading that rubbing alcohol may damage the glass screen. Some sites say to "use a damp, soft cloth". But water on a soft cloth is not going to remove any germs or virus.

So what is the truth about rubbing alcohol being damaging, and what is the best to disinfect an iPhone?

I saw some UV boxes but they are $80.

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Using alcohol to clean the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac can damage the anti-reflective coating. It's definitely a no no.

I realize that lots of folks are a bit paranoid about germs or viruses now that we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic, but I'm sure that there are other ways to keep devices clean.

As an aside, I use lens cleaner on a soft cloth to clean the screens in my devices.

cleaning iPhone screen

As in eyeglasses lens cleaner? And I found this web site that said "Apple recommends using Clorox Disinfectant Wipes." My wife uses them in the kitchen.

The Best Ways to Clean and Disinfect Your iPhone

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    If you look at Clorox Disinfectant Wipes, it's just soap in a moist cloth. No bleach, no alcohol, just moist, soapy cloths. You can do the same with a dish cloth, damp and with some soap of any kind. Then rinse the cloth with fresh water, wring it out to make it back to just moist and wipe off the soap. Done.
    Jake

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    If you look at Clorox Disinfectant Wipes, it's just soap in a moist cloth. No bleach, no alcohol, just moist, soapy cloths. You can do the same with a dish cloth, damp and with some soap of any kind. Then rinse the cloth with fresh water, wring it out to make it back to just moist and wipe off the soap. Done.
    Soap is not only very effective against coronavirus, but arguably more effective than alcohol alone, at least when it comes to hand sanitizers. It's certainly going to be fine on a hard surface.
    Coronavirus expert explains why soap is better than hand sanitizer – BGR
    The science of soap – here’s how it kills the coronavirus | Pall Thordarson | Opinion | The Guardian
    Why soap is preferable to bleach in the fight against coronavirus

"Soap works so effectively because its chemistry pries open the coronavirus’s exterior envelope and cause it to degrade. These soap molecules then trap tiny fragments of the virus, which are washed away in water."

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

cleaning iPhone screen
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Totally agree with LIAB re soap. Tons of evidence that it is much more effective than alcohol on its own.

Soap is cheap, comes with no or nice smells according to preference, is easy to apply and is "kind" to hands as well as phones.

Ian
    Ian

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Who else is using your phone that you're worrying about viruses etc? I use a 350 cover and a tempered glass screen which I rub on my sleeve it it gets grubby...
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Who else is using your phone that you're worrying about viruses etc? I use a 350 cover and a tempered glass screen which I rub on my sleeve it it gets grubby...
    It can get contaminated just like any other surface. Same for anything else you handle with your hands: car keys; wallet; cash; door knobs; the chair you are sitting in; the list goes on. Phones may get more attention in part due to how much they are handled, but also due to how much time they spend in front of our faces, so their exposure is higher to where the viruses are expelled (out of our mouths/noses).

I personally don't over worry about "my" gear. If it's contaminated, it's because *I* contaminated it, in which case it's already too late for me. Just don't ever handle your phone (or anything else that's yours) until you know your hands are clean.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    LIAB, the effectiveness of soap is why I said what I did. No need for Clorox wipes (v. expensive) as opposed to a damp soapy cloth (v. cheap). Some folks think Clorox means bleach.
    Jake

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    LIAB, the effectiveness of soap is why I said what I did. No need for Clorox wipes (v. expensive) as opposed to a damp soapy cloth (v. cheap). Some folks think Clorox means bleach.
    I know, I was just backing you up on that with some articles explaining the science.

I actually didn't know the Clorox wipes didn't contain bleach until you mentioned it before.

------
    ------

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    The original question asked by member Barrygou was about using rubbing alcohol to clean the screen of his iPhone. And I will reiterate... do not use any alcohol based product to clean the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or your Mac. Alcohol use has been known to remove the anti-reflective coating that's on the screen of an iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

I personally don't over worry about "my" gear. If it's contaminated, it's because *I* contaminated it, in which case it's already too late for me. Just don't ever handle your phone (or anything else that's yours) until you know your hands are clean.
    +1 for that statement.

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    +1 for all of that, chscag!
    Jake

cleaning iPhone screen
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    I know, I was just backing you up on that with some articles explaining the science.

I actually didn't know the Clorox wipes didn't contain bleach until you mentioned it before.
    BTW, true story here. I occasionally harp on my wife about "soap and water", but she is a consumer to the core and just buys into whatever they are selling. Those wipes are especially a sore point with me. One day I was finishing up some dishes and cleaned up the sink and counter. I wiped it all down with dish soap and sponge (the sponge thing is another one that aggravates me... she just won't use a washcloth). She comes right behind me, opens up the wipes, and wipes it all down again. Arrrrghh!

Anyway, her thinking is finally changing. We had to hand wash the dishes for over a month when our dishwasher needed replacement and installs were on hold so I pushed washcloth usage over sponges forward. Today, I shared those same "soap and water" articles on Facebook for family and friends, and what I've been telling her finally set in, or so she came and said as much. Sometimes it's just not enough to tell people that such and such is true. Knowing the science behind it really helps with acceptance.

------
    ------

Thread Information