New iPhone SE first use

New iPhone SE first use
    Hi,

After a long time I order myself a brand New iPhone SE (2020). Since my first iPhone was iPhone 4 can you give me some advice how to use It for the first time. Should I charge It first and then turn It on or should I drain the battery till 0%?
    Is there a new rule for new iPhones since 10 years passed after my old phone.

Best regards!

New iPhone SE first use
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Here's a relatively recent article that suggests 5 things to do with your new iPhone. It's more targeted at the iPhone 11 that was probably released around the time of this article...but the battery portion of the article should definitely apply:

New iPhone 11 or 11 Pro: Do these 5 things first - CNET

All mobile Apple devices (laptops, tablets, iphones, etc.) come with a lithium battery (and have for probably 10+ years now). Lithium batteries are far less troublesome than than earlier nickel cadmium battery's.

But like any rechargeable battery (lithiums included)...it's generally not considered good battery management to frequently drain the battery to almost no charge...then recharge. This is supposed to be "harder" on the battery. Better to use the device to somewhere around 50%...then recharge (this is supposed to be more gentle on the battery).

Congrats on the new 2020 iPhone SE...please let us know your thoughts on it (Pro's & Con's)...once you get it & have had a chance to use it.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

New iPhone SE first use

Ok so basicly we should not the drain the battery till 0%..but what about first use..the phone comes with about 20% or more capacity..meaning that I must pluge It on immiadiatelly or not?

New iPhone SE first use
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Yes, as soon as you open the box and check over the phone place it on the charger. During the time it's on the charger you can update it and restore all your settings from your backup.

New iPhone SE first use
    Turn the phone on and see what the percentage is. Depending on how low it is, charge it in to 100% and then use it normally. You should not be discharging them to 0% at any point. Once the phone reaches 20%, it allows it to go into Low Power Mode and you should do that and then charge it up the next opportunity you get. The new phone's battery once fully charged should ideally go all day with "normal" usage.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

New iPhone SE first use
    Here's what Apple has to say about their latest batteries they now use:

iPhone batteries use lithium-ion technology. Compared with older generations of battery technology, lithium-ion batteries charge faster, last longer, and have a higher power density for more battery life in a lighter package. Rechargeable lithium-ion technology currently provides the best technology for your device.
    iPhone Battery and Performance
    Understand iPhone performance and its relation to your battery.

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

- Patrick
    ======

New iPhone SE first use

I Am still waiting for the phone, meanwhile I find some explanations on other forums which basically aprove that phone should be used immiadiatelly out of the box..so I 'll do the same when It arrives ��

New iPhone SE first use
    Your Mac's Specs
    Where did you buy the SE from? If you purchased it from Apple set to one of the 4 carriers: T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint, you'll need to transfer all your data to the phone from your old phone. Even if you purchased the SIM free model, you'll need to do the same thing.

Like I stated in post #4, place it on the charger and then update your phone by restoring data from your backup. That will also get you to be familiar with the phone. Believe me, it's a lot different from an iPhone 4!

New iPhone SE first use
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Dragan

It's truly exciting getting a new iPhone, particularly after the iPhone 4.

Take the time between now and getting it to read the many, often illustrated, articles from Apple Support on the new phones, yours especially.

There is a lot to learn. But first things first. As admin chscag has emphasised, your first priority will be setting up the new iPhone with your Apple ID and restoring all your data and settings from your current phone. To do that, you must backup your iPhone 4 - to iTunes if possible and also to iCloud. You can restore from either.

Never let the battery get near zero. Remember that possibly the greatest drain on your battery is the screen brightness.

Two tips on this. Turn the brightness down as far as is comfortable and turn on Auto Brightness. This will adjust the screen brightness according to the ambient light.

Your new iPhone comes with a battery usage facility which gives you tons of info about how you are using the battery, what drains it most etc.

There's quite a big learning curve awaiting you, but you'll get there with patience, reading the support articles and, of course, from us.

Enjoy.

Ian
    Ian

New iPhone SE first use
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I got my iPhone SE 2 just over a week ago as a replacement for my ageing iPhone 7.
    There are not only physical differences between the iPhone 4 as well as many operating system changes (iOS). Your device will come with iOS 13.4.1 installed. A big difference to iOS 9 but there have been many helpful additions.

For example you can now Search in Settings. If you pull down on the opening page in Settings you will see a search dialogue box at the top. This is extremely helpful because not only are there many pages of settings but things are not always where you might expect them to be. Auto Brightness On is not only a good suggestion from IWT but not where you might imagine. If you type "Auto Brightness" into the search box you will get two results, Auto Lock and Auto Brightness, clicking on that will take you to the appropriate page which is in Accessibility Settings > Display & Text Size.
    The Search function will save you loads of time.

There is also a Search option on any Home page. Put your finger about a third of the way down any Home page and pull down. You will see a Siri list of recent apps and a search box, handy for finding apps and almost anything.

Do a search for "Tips". You should see Tips, a lightbulb like icon in Collections and an app called Tips & Tricks. At the top of Tips is What's New in IOS 13. Both of these reference apps are worth a read. Tips & Tricks is a free app on the App Store if you don't have it, download it, but like many apps has "in app purchases" for additional "Premium" features. It works quite well in its free form so don't be sucked into paying for it unless you really think it's worth the cost. It also updates for each new iOS so it remains handy over time.

The iPhone SE 2 also supports Dual SIM here is an article from Apple on the topic; Set up cellular service on iPhone - Apple Support

Anything else you get stuck on re setting up just ask. Take your time, it took me week to get everything how I wanted just concentrate on getting you contacts, SMS and voice calls set, everything else can wait.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

New iPhone SE first use

So guys there is no need to charge It right away...I should just turn It on and use It.
    Sorry I am little worried cause I want that my phone lasts as much as possible and It is been awile since my former iphone..

New iPhone SE first use
    Your Mac's Specs
    So guys there is no need to charge It right away...I should just turn It on and use It.
    Yes, you can do that. However, most iPhones are not shipped fully charged from Apple. Usually they're charged to around 50 to 70%, but like I said above if you want to transfer all your data to the new phone you can place it on the charger and do the transfer. At the same time your phone will charge to 100%. What's the problem with charging it? Not sure I understand your reluctance?

New iPhone SE first use
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    When you say your first iPhone was an iPhone 4 did you mean you were still running that phone? I thought probably not. So you won't be syncing from your old phone, this will be a new phone set up. So if like me it comes with 80% charge you can, as you say, just start using it. Select you language, login to Apple with you Apple ID if you still have that ECT, the phone will prompt you all the way. If you get stuck get back to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Thread Information