Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iPhone 8 Speaker is default
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 8; iPad Air2, 64GB
    My wonderful, newly purchased 8 has lost it's mind. Whenever I make a phone call, it defaults to speaker. I turn the speaker off, it turns it back on. This can go on indefinitely, and I never win. I usually use earphones, and even with the earphone plugged in, the speaker is on. A menu pops up, I select 'iPhone' and the phone then proceeds to select speaker for itself. I tap the phone button, and we are back to speaker again. I'm on the latest iOS13. I've turned the phone and off, but it hasn't helped. Once again, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    It appears from searching that the only thing that works is to reset the phone. I also have an iPhone 8 and generally keep the speaker on but I'm able to turn it off by tapping it.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 8; iPad Air2, 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It appears from searching that the only thing that works is to reset the phone. I also have an iPhone 8 and generally keep the speaker on but I'm able to turn it off by tapping it.
    ACK! As in wipe it and start all over again?

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, but make a backup first to iTunes. I know it sounds drastic, but it seems that's what works. I do not see anywhere in iOS 13.3.1, where it has a setting for keeping the phone speaker on or off. The only way that choice comes up is when you're on the phone during a call.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you chsag. The phone is backed up, but I hope the photos on it are backed up too using iTunes?

Your Mac's Specs
    I believe the photos will also be backed up but it's always best with photos and other valuable data to make sure you have an additional backup. I actually copy my valuable photos to DVDs in addition to backing them up on my iMac.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcat View Post
    Thank you chsag. The phone is backed up, but I hope the photos on it are backed up too using iTunes?
    The short answer is - Yes. Photos are backed up.

These two articles are confirmatory:

The Definitive Guide to iPhone Backup
    Does backup in iTunes also backup picture… - Apple Community

If you import your pictures to the Photos app on a Mac, then it's a good idea to BU your Photos library to an External Hard Drive (EHD) as a bonus, as suggested by Admin chscag.

The Mac's Photos Library can be found by Opening Finder > Macintosh HD > Users > Your Name (House icon adjacent to it) > Pictures > Photos Library.photoslibrary (Then Copy/Paste to EHD)

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I believe the photos will also be backed up but it's always best with photos and other valuable data to make sure you have an additional backup. I actually copy my valuable photos to DVDs in addition to backing them up on my iMac.
    Interested in this. Can you tell me how many images on what size DVD please?
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Sue:

You can easily fit hundreds and maybe even a thousand photos on a single 4.7GB DVD-R. Of course it's best to arrange them in folders according to subject otherwise it can become difficult to find something you may be looking for.

You probably already know this... but it's best NOT to use rewritable DVDs.

Some folks have said that DVDs and CDs deteriorate over time but I have not noticed that even with media that is 10 years or more old.

Your Mac's Specs
    Followed all the advice here, wiped the phone, etc. and the problem disappeared, but it's back again. What the heck? Could it be a connection with the ear bud jack? I'm using the ones that came with the phone.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    It could be, sometimes the connections become jammed.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    It could be, sometimes the connections become jammed.
    Is there a fix? New earphones?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Not if the connection inside the port is jammed. But, you may be able to clear whatever is jamming it?
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Not if the connection inside the port is jammed. But, you may be able to clear whatever is jamming it?
    I don't see anything in the port, but I live in a sea of cat hair. Any suggestions as to how to clear it? Tried blowing in it; afraid to use hairdryer on it

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcat View Post
    Followed all the advice here, wiped the phone, etc. and the problem disappeared, but it's back again. What the heck? Could it be a connection with the ear bud jack? I'm using the ones that came with the phone.
    How about when you don't use your ear buds? Does the same problem occur?

By the way, the ear buds that came with your 8 have the same connector as the charging cable. So, I don't see how the connector or connection could be defective somehow.

I'm going to try to do some more searching about your problem to see if others have the same thing happening.

Are you by chance using a protective covering on your phone's screen? There have been reports of certain protective screens causing problems with touch and tap.

Thread Information