Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iPhone 6 -- already breaking down?
    I have a 6 Plus and over the past week or so I've noticed that the battery drains FAST. And by fast, I mean that it was at 100% and by the time I walked out to my car yesterday, it was 80%. It doesn't always drop so dramatically, but if I start out at 100% with only a few apps open (say, Messages and Facebook), the battery is dead with no use within 4-5 hours. (Is this normal??) Charging doesn't seem to be an issue (yet) but recently I took my lunch break and started at 50%; 15 minutes later my phone was dead and the only thing I was doing was sending a few texts. Never did have the battery replaced during the whole battery fiasco last year.

This morning, the phone suddenly started playing a song from a playlist -- and MUSIC WASN'T OPEN. The only thing I could do to make it stop was restart the phone.

I feel like normally a phone will last 8-12 months after OSX support is stopped. I have the opportunity to get an XR for free just by adding a line to my AT&T account. Would this be a good choice?
    2015 iMac: 27" screen / 4 GHz i7 / 1 TB fusion drive / 16GB / AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB / Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.2
    2010 Macbook Pro: 17" screen / 2.5 GHz i5 / 8 GB / NVIDA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB / Mac OS X Sierra10.12.3

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Well, I'm from the UK so I can't comment on AT&T; nor do I know what "just by adding a line to my AT&T account" means. But if a free XR is the result with minimum cost - go for it. It's a big jump from 6+ to XR and I'd take that.

Backup your 6+ by whatever means you like and get the XR for "free".

As to what's wrong with your 6+ - could be a failing battery; could be an excessive drain on the battery (Locations, Notifications, screen brightness, updating apps in the background etc).

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Firstly...it was mentioned "already breaking down". What does this mean? We have no idea how old this iPhone 6s is. iPhone 6s's were first released over 4 years ago...and were discontinued September 2018 (14 months ago). Thus this could be 4+ year old phone...a more recent purchase...or it could be a "new to you" used iPhone 6s. Please let us know something about it age/newness.

2nd...depending on it's age...let us know how many battery cycles are on it...or what the "Battery Health" is within the settings area. If using a newer iOS version...It should say "Maximum Capacity"...then give a percent.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I have the opportunity to get an XR for free just by adding a line to my AT&T account. Would this be a good choice?
    The one thing I learned over the years dealing with phone carriers is they generally do not give things away without costing you in the end. While the Xr is a big boost from your 6+, make sure you do all the math.

As for your current problem, it does sound like a failing battery. Apple will replace it for $79.00 but make sure you make an appointment. This time of year they are especially busy.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    You didn't mention how old this iPhone 6 is, but as already pointed out, you likely just need a new battery. Try checking the battery health with Coconut Battery, a free app that gives a MUCH more reliable indicator of the health of your battery than Apple will via the Settings app.
    coconutBattery 3.8.2 - by coconut-flavour.com

Note... there's no need for the "Plus" version. Download the freebie, then connect your iPhone to a computer (Mac or PC) with a lightning cable and run the app. The statistic you are looking for is the % of "design capacity" that the app will give you.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

I know when I leave my bluetooth on or my airdrop my battery drains very quickly. But it does sound like you need a new battery. Make an appointment to get it replaced, or get the XR like you mentioned. Personally, I would get the XR, just make sure there are no strings attached.

Thread Information