Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iPhone only boots in recovery mode - can't restore
    Hi,

I have a little over 2 year old iPhone 6s. The battery was replaced 3 months ago. It has had little use and is plugged in most of the time.

A few days ago, after I unplugged the iPhone, it restarted repeatedly on its own. I could still boot it up and use it after replugging it. Installing all the available apps updates did not fix the issue.

I tried to install the latest iOS (13.2.3 from 13.2.2) a few times with iTunes but the update never completed. At some point I got the message on my computer that the iPhone couldn't be updated and needed to be restore which I tried several times.

Restores never completed because the software download keeps disconnecting. It looks like the iPhone keeps restarting which reset the restore process. The iPhone now only boots in recovery mode.

Is there anything else I should look for or try?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Is there anything else I should look for or try?
    You could try DFU mode to see if that will get the phone working again. Follow the instructions given at the ifixit site.

DFU Restore - iFixit Support

If that doesn't work to get your phone back to normal mode, then there is likely a hardware problem with the phone. May be time to look for a new or newer iPhone.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I tried the DFU restore and here is what happened.

In iTunes: iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.

In iTunes: Restore iPhone...

In iTunes: Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “iPhone” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed.
    iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings.
    Restore and Update

In iTunes: Extracting software... (progress bar goes all the way to the end)

In iTunes: Preparing iPhone for restore

In iTunes: Waiting for iPhone

On iPhone: Apple logo and progress bar appear (progress bar not filling up)

In iTunes: The "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9).

This phone is only 2 years old and has had little used. It is like new and does all I need. I paid $600 for the phone. I should throw it away? Is that the quality and reliability I should expect from Apple?

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Congratulations on getting the phone into DFU Mode, a lot of people have trouble with that. Great documentation of the process too.
    When you say you had the battery replaced was it a genuine Apple battery because it sounds like a power problem to me?
    As for replacement, you are the first person I have seen on this forum with your problem so I don't think that's an indicator of poor quality, it is several years old and I think you said second hand.
    I do understand replacement is an expensive option. I have an iPhone 7 myself bought as refurbished. When I must I will probably replace it with a new iPhone 8 from the same outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

The iPhone was manufactured in 2017. I got it from someone who got it as a gift and had never used it. So the iPhone is about 2 years old. The battery was changed by a third party repair shop. It probably wasn't a genuine Apple battery but I had no problem with it. I know many people who got their batteries replaced by the same shop and I never heard about such problem.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I have a little over 2 year old iPhone 6s. The battery was replaced 3 months ago. It has had little use and is plugged in most of the time.
    Was there a problem with the phone at the time you replaced the battery? Sometimes an iPhone battery will go flat after one year or so but mostly they last for several years.

It does seem like your phone has a hardware problem. Since it's no longer in warranty, take it to a third party phone repair service and ask them to troubleshoot it for you. See what they say and the cost for repair.

There was no real problem with the battery. It was just not keeping its charge as long as when it was new. These phones can barely make it through the day when you need it. The fact that I kept it plugged in most of the time may not have helped. Thanks for the input and suggestion.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Actually, I'm not sure that would make any difference but you are right, mine needs to be charged once during the day but I know my battery is only at 84% of its original capacity. The new models are better, my wife's XS can last two days with moderate usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Seem like a poor quality USB cable, not getting enough power. I have the links and ideas from, others who have this error. Have a look and let us know how you get on.
    Don't buy a new iPhone just yet.

Resources

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iOS device - Apple Support

[url=https://www.ikream.com/2019/11/possible-solutions-apple-iphone-6-error-9-itunes-restore-update-error-24001]

Possible solutions to Apple iPhone 6 Error 9

"Error 9 is often associated with a message prompt saying, “iPhone has timeout” and then the update process through iTunes stops.""Try using a different USB cable to connect your iPhone to your computer."

Sorry the links are bit, oh er tried to fix...

Thanks TotalSolutions for the additional information. I tried a different Apple USB cable and also used a different computer but could still not do the restore. On the 2e computer I get the error message: "The "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (10)." which, according to Apple, indicates a hardware problem. My next step, I guess, is to open the phone and look for something like a disconnected connector.

I opened the phone, pressed on the plates covering the battery and display connectors and the phone started to work again. I didn't feel anything wrong with the plates or connectors and I don't know if this made a difference but whatever happened when opening the phone, it works now. Don't throw away your iPhone too quickly...

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Thread Information