Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: Which iPhone

Which iPhone

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Which iPhone
    I have an iPhone 5 (not SE) with 16 GB storage. I have never had to actually purchase a phone but now phone carriers do not give them away. I don't need a phone that costs $1,000. What I do need is a phone with enough storage to hold my podcasts since my old iPod shuffle is not compatible with my new vehicle (even with an Apple cable).

I don't stream things since I do not have unlimited service. I don't really surf the internet either. But I'm on the road a great deal and I like podcasts over music.

I have to decide between the 8 at $450 (64GB); 8+ (bigger screen) at $549 (64 GB) (128 GB is $499 and $599 respectively.)

or should I move on up to the X(R) at $599 (64GB) / $649 for 128 GB?

Also iPhone models I should avoid due to complaints? Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    First thing I would consider is size.

- iPhone 5 has a 4.0" display.
    - iPhone 8 has a 4.7" display.
    - iPhone 8 plus has a 5.5" display.
    - iPhone X (R) has a 6.1" display.

* If you like the size of your iPhone 5 (how it feels in your hand or fits into your pockets...then you may want to find an iPhone SE.
    * Moving up from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 8 is a noticeable increase in size...but not too bad (I went from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6 which is the same size as the iPhone 8).
    * Upgrading from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 8 plus or iPhone XR would be a massive increase in size...and unless you're expecting this much increase in size...you will be stunned how much larger they are! Lol

I would decide on size first...then decide on the other stuff.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I agree with Nick. I have an iPhone 8 which I like since it fits nicely in my pocket. My wife uses a 7+ with a larger screen which she likes better. Most women that have commented seem to like the smaller screen size but then again there are other women who like the larger screen.

You might want to check the Apple on line refurbished store. They currently have iPhones there. The refurbished iPhones that Apple sells are like new; they have a new battery and new outer case and are warranted for one year.

Certified Refurbished Products - Apple

Which iPhone

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Thank ya'll very much. Very reasonable thoughts! Since I don't really use my phone for internet I may stick with the 8+. I'll go look again this week.

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyspeed View Post
    Very reasonable thoughts! Since I don't really use my phone for internet I may stick with the 8+. I'll go look again this week.
    Just in case there was some confusion...the iPhone 8+ is sort of a big one...especially after you said you don't use your iPhone for internet. Maybe you meant the iPhone 8.

Definitely take your iPhone 5 with you to compare sizes.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Which iPhone

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Yes, I sure will put all of them in my hand before making a decision! Thank you so much for the clarification.

Probably little to no market for my 5s but I could sell it and my two 4s to help out on the price.

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyspeed View Post
    Probably little to no market for my 5s but I could sell it and my two 4s to help out on the price.
    Maybe a small coffee at Starbuck's! Lol

- Nick

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Some malls, have a kiosk for selling old devices (phones, tablets, etc). Just saying.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Lots of places to sell used electronic's. As far as specific's...I checked 4 sites...two of them only go back as far as an iPhone 6 (no iPhone 4's or 5's).

The 3rd & 4th site's did purchase used iPhone 5's. For an iPhone 5 with 16gig of storage...one offered $7 bucks....the other just $2.

Remember what I said about a Starbuck's coffee??

- Nick

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Not worth the time to sell them. Instead donate them to a charity or pass them on to someone who can't afford to buy one. Those phones are still useful to make and receive calls as long as the batteries in them are okay.

Which iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mini on steroids; 2011 iMac, 2012 MB Pro
    My iPhones have all come via eBay purchases, and I've been happy with the results so far.
    I'm currently using an iPhone 8 with 64 GB, and that's really a huge amount of storage for normal users. I have a lot of music and hundreds of podcasts stored, and there's still about 20GB free, so unless you store a lot of video content, 64 GB is all you should need. You can archive old stuff on the computer you use for backup, or put it on iCloud, so it's unlikely you'd ever outgrow 64 GB with files you actually need to have at hand at all times.

An alternative option, if you're not really using your iphone for much more than phone calls and podcasts, might be going with a flip phone for calls/texts and an ipod touch for your podcasts. The Touch is under $200 and has plenty of memory for podcasts--though you might want to check its compatibility with your new vehicle.

I use a $30 flip phone running KaiOS and a 16GB iPod Nano that holds a boatload of podcasts, audiobooks, and music. Unfortunately, the iPod Touch is the only iPod Apple sells now. It's overkill for a podcast machine, but it'll definitely get the job done.

Thread Information