Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unable to delete voicemails on iPhone X. (iOS 13.0)
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from hell!
    I am close to throwing this iPhone X into the trash and reverting back to a flip phone. Now that my rant is over, here is the problem.

I have at least a hundred voicemails dating back 15 months that I cannot delete. I have tried everything other than a total reset of the phone itself. I've re-booted at least 5 times. . I've even called my own number and I only had access to one voice mail where I deleted it (but it is still on my iPhone).

I have turned on Airplane mode, disconnected from Wi-FI and Bluetooth and have done all the tricks I can find out there concerning this problem. I am just trying to lower my blood pressure a little so I came here, hoping for an answer.

And it cannot be a memory problem..... my phone has 256 GB of storage space but I only have 25 GB of data stored...(Yeah, I am NOT a power user) ;-)

Any help this side of a ball peen hammer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Pat
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Hey Pat:

Good to hear from you again.

Which carrier are you using? I know that when voice mails are stubborn and won't delete, your carrier usually can delete them from their end. Of course, the worse scenario would be having to reset your phone but even at that, I'm not sure that would remove them.

I know that with T-Mobile (my carrier) that whenever I delete a voice mail it goes into deleted limbo and must be selected again to completely delete it. Perhaps your voice mails work the same way?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Pat

As Admin chscag already mentioned, your carrier does,or can, affect the way voicemails are deleted.

Whether this helps or not, here’s how it works on my iPhone X.

Open phone app. Tap on Voicemail. Select the one or more you want to delete and confirm. Then I see a “message “ saying Deleted Messages with a the number so far deleted. When I tap on that, it gives me the chance to Clear All or return to Voicemail.

In others words, deleting once, retains that Voicemail just in case you need to recover it - or permanently delete it.

Just as in Photos, for example.

Maybe that may help you?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey, Ian!

Thank you also for responding. As you can see from my reply to chscag, I was "off the grid" for a couple of days :-)

Let me go downstairs to retrieve my phone and I will give your protocol a try....but I think I've done that before but I'll try it once again.

If that does not work, I guess I'll spend an hour or two on hold this afternoon and try to get hold of a human at AT&T to see if they can help!

Thanks, Ian!!!

Cheers!

Pat
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi, chscag!

For some reason, my first response to you (before to Ian) went into the ethers somewhere.....so I am trying again.

My carrier is AT&T. I have tried several 'ways' of deleting these pesky voicemails (most are Scammers) but nothing so far has worked.

I'll try Ian's method to be sure, but I guess it'll mean a long, protracted call to their customer service to see if they can delete them on that end.

I have also noticed (I do not know if this is a carrier issue or an iPhone issue) but when I cannot answer a call (to be honest, I answer NO calls that aren't on my caller list). Sometimes a voice mail will register immediately after the call, but more so it may come in 30 minutes to 4 hours later and twice in the past 3 months it was well over 24 hours! I have no clue as to what that's all about...... but now I just want to delete these Scammer calls.

I'll try Ian's suggestion and if that does not work then it's a call to the carrier. Whoopee ;-(

Thanks, chscag!

Cheers!

Pat

Albert Einstein

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Only because nobody said it, the way to delete a voice mail is to find it in the list of Recents, swipe left on it, then tap "Delete." On my iPhone they disappear immediately and completely. Always worked perfectly on my iPhone XS.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    chscag and Ian.....

OK, here's what going on......

I just rebooted the iPhone X. (Running newest iOS... 13.0)

I opened the phone app and then went into Voicemail.

Upper right hand corner, I tapped on Edit, then tapped on the left hand circle next to each VM, and after doing this to all 100 or so of them, I tapped bottom right corner saying Delete. They immediately disappeared....and within 10 seconds they re-appeared.

I then went to the bottom of the VM list and there are two "folders" One says Blocked Messages and the Other says Deleted Messages.

When I hit Delete All in the Deleted Message 'folder'.....they again disappear but reappear almost immediately.

Then I tried this....... I scrolled from Right to LEFT on the little 'i'circle, and a bright red DELETE box appears behind each VM. I touch that and the message disappears. But before I can go from the bottom of the list up to the top, they re-appear again almost as fast as I can delete them.

Can you understand now why I want to take a hammer to this phone? With every new model I've bought ( started with the 4), each one was WORSE and different from the previous model. I am on my fourth 'model' already, and would absolutely love to find my old Nokia flip phone from decades ago that was bulletproof. And yes, ALL it did was make and receive CALLS. (I hate texting too--guess I am showing my advancing years).

So my next thing is to call AT&T customer service to see what they can do. A thorough duckduckgo search of the net a couple of days ago didn't really help with this matter (and yeah, the Apple forums on their website were extremely lame with this problems although hundreds had indicated they were having the same problems).... that's why i always come HERE when I cannot locate an answer to a problem!

Thank, guys!

I'll let you know if AT&T can help me or if it is ball peen hammer time! :-)

Cheers!

Pat

Albert Einstein

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey, Jake!

Thanks for the suggestion...but that did not work either.

If AT&T cannot do this, luckily I have an Apple store within walking distance of my house and I'll make an appointment with them.

If they cannot fix it, they will be replacing it with a NEW phone.

Cheers!

Pat

Albert Einstein

Your Mac's Specs
    Here's the latest:

I found an article saying to reboot, go into Airplane mode, turn off WI-FI and Bluetooth...then delete away you voicemails and they will NOT come back!

Well, they did. All of them were back in seconds.

Then, I dialed my own number, held down the 1 for a couple of seconds and entered my voice mail box. There was only ONE voicemail in there, none of the other 100 or so were in there. I did delete that number, about 15 minutes ago, and so far it has not returned to my phone.

One down, 99 to go.

Next is a call to AT&T, and if that doesn't work, I am heading to the Apple store first thing in the morning.

Cheers!

Pat

Albert Einstein

Your Mac's Specs
    Next is a call to AT&T, and if that doesn't work, I am heading to the Apple store first thing in the morning.
    AT&T should be able to remove those voice mails. I'm not sure that Apple will be of any help with that. Even if they give you a new phone, the voice mails are still being stored in your personal voice mail box which is maintained by your carrier. (AT&T)

Did you try the #4 suggestion at that support site?:
    4. Clear Deleted Voicemail Messages
    If you have successfully deleted your voicemail messages but they reappeared after some time, this means that the messages you delete are not actually erased from your iPhone storage. Since the messages are still available, it is likely that they will reappear in your inbox after some time. The solution to this problem is to clear the deleted messages. Here are the steps to do this: ...
    iPhone Won’t Delete Voicemail? Top 7 Solutions in 2019

PS: And some people keep asking me why I still insist on using an old Samsung flip-phone cellphone!!! Never had such a problem!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I have an easy solution, no voicemail.
    Honestly, most of my voicemail messages required reply or were from people I did not want to reply to anyway.
    If I miss a call, I can see it in my Missed Calls. If its from someone not in my contacts I use a text shortcut to send them an SMS saying, "Sorry I missed your call please try again." Often they don't. In some instances the SMS will not go through. In those cases I usually block the number.
    As for the others, the ones in my contacts, I either call them back at my convenience or send them the above SMS.
    I think Voicemail is just a revenue raising ploy by my carrier. Who likes being diverted to Voicemail? Nobody. Who likes wasting time listening to telemarketers or people who can't deliver a concise, meaningful message in the time limit requiring you to call them for clarification. Nobody.
    But carriers get three call fees which would in the old days have been one. eg. Rang Fred, no answer, I'll try again later, got through later. One call fee.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rod, your approach makes sense in an environment where there is a per-call charge. In the US, one pays a flat monthly fee and is free to make as many calls as one wishes with no additional charges. So having voicemail has that same one monthly fee, but you can call in to get the messages for no additional cost. Now one could argue that paying the fee for the service is additional revenue, but not in the sense of being driven to make another call, with fee.
    Jake

I'm with Rod on this one. My voicemail has absolutely zero value for me. The bulk of them are appointment reminders which I don't need to respond to. Anyone who actually wants to get in touch with me will text me and those who shouldn't are already blocked anyway.

This ghost voicemail issue definitely sounds like a carrier thing that AT&T should help resolve.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    I agree with you Ashwin. My voicemail is utterly useless as it's only telemarketers and junk callers who seem to use it. My doctor and dentist appointment reminders are by text which is what I prefer.

Thread Information