Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Magnetic charger cord for iPhone
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Patrick, unfortunately I still have that need for speed. I do tend to get a bit heavy-footed. But not distracted!
    LOL, that reminds me of a good friend of mine that recently paid $700.00 for one of those highly sophisticated radar detectors. He's driving a fully loaded 2019 Camaro. It makes no sense to me to have an auto that can go 150 MPH that costs around $45K and not be able to use it on any US highway at those speeds.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Here in VA those detectors are illegal. I try to keep things under control with cruise controls in the car. Last year I rented a car that had a cruise control that had both upper and lower limit controls. So I could set the range I wanted to be within and the car just did its thing. Combined with radar for the traffic in front of me, basically I set it and then steered. It took care of the speed for me. Left to my own, it's hammer down.

Technically the fastest I've driven myself is about 120 mph. I have been in a NASCAR vehicle with a professional driver at 170 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Airborne, we used to cruise around in the A-6 at about 360kts (415mph), accelerating to 540kts (620 mph) for the attack run. In the Buccaneers of the Royal Navy (I was on exchange for two years) we cruised around at 480kts, accelerating to 600kts (690mph) for attack runs. Six hundred knots at 50 feet is a real rush! Never gone past Mach 1. Never needed to.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Here in VA those detectors are illegal. I try to keep things under control with cruise controls in the car. Last year I rented a car that had a cruise control that had both upper and lower limit controls. So I could set the range I wanted to be within and the car just did its thing. Combined with radar for the traffic in front of me, basically I set it and then steered. It took care of the speed for me. Left to my own, it's hammer down.

Technically the fastest I've driven myself is about 120 mph. I have been in a NASCAR vehicle with a professional driver at 170 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Airborne, we used to cruise around in the A-6 at about 360kts (415mph), accelerating to 540kts (620 mph) for the attack run. In the Buccaneers of the Royal Navy (I was on exchange for two years) we cruised around at 480kts, accelerating to 600kts (690mph) for attack runs. Six hundred knots at 50 feet is a real rush! Never gone past Mach 1. Never needed to.
    Buccaneers - Best Airfix model aircraft, after the Avro (Dambuster) Lancaster obviously!. Loved the revolving bomb bay door. Our local air museum has one - a thing of beauty! Nothing to do with this thread but I just thought I'd throw that in
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
    Ian What year and model Lexus do you have? Just bought a 2019 RX350. Still haven't figured out all the controls. Do like the all around camera feature. That and rear and front auto braking. And no hand brake.
    The fastest I've ever driven was 135 MPH on the German autobahn around 1985-1986. Did it once in my 1980 208SE...really hugged the road, and once in my wife's 1984 528i BMW...not so much in hugging the road. Never drove that fast again on either car. The autobahns were already getting crowded back then.

Pete

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi Bill Gates

I've had Lexus models for the last 20 years. The current model is the GS 450h Hybrid F Sport. This seems to come with everything including an Online Manual of 400 pages telling me how to use the computer and a larger manual on all the settings and functions of the car!!!

In the past I've had the SC430 Sport which was the best of the lot, but they don't make it now and I'm past the age of super fast sports cars

Camera feature is excellent. Parking sensors also very useful. Despite 3.5 litre sports engine with Hybrid, I regularly get 44 MPG.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    Buccaneers - Best Airfix model aircraft, after the Avro (Dambuster) Lancaster obviously!. Loved the revolving bomb bay door. Our local air museum has one - a thing of beauty! Nothing to do with this thread but I just thought I'd throw that in
    It was a fun aircraft. Quirky at times, and the electronics kit was old, even for the day. I think most of it was 50s/60s vintage. But the airframe was a thing of beauty!
    Jake

It was a fun aircraft. Quirky at times, and the electronics kit was old, even for the day. I think most of it was 50s/60s vintage. But the airframe was a thing of beauty!

Just a wee bit of nostalgia for you here...
    YouTube

Not exactly your family recreation flyer airplane!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I've seen that before, Patrick. Pretty honest to the airplane, but it's even more fun landing on an aircraft carrier. I got exactly 100 of those in that aircraft, all on HMS Ark Royal. And about a third of those are at night. Ah, the fun never ended!
    Jake

I can't imagine such landings, especially at night!!! That's just too much.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    You get used to it, Patrick. It's just a day at the office.

Here is another video of the Bucc with a bit more information about it as a warplane.

YouTube

There is one "active" aircraft at Bruntingthorpe, in England, but I believe it isn't cleared for flight, just high-speed taxi as a demonstration for tourists. There are others in various museums in UK, including the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton and the Duxford RAF Museum. In addition, there is one at the Yorkshire museum for air. That one is owned by the Buccaneer Aircrew Association, of which I am a member. The numbers of us are dwindling, but we still get together to hoist a pint every year.
    Jake

There are others in various museums in UK, including the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton and the Duxford RAF Museum. In addition, there is one at the Yorkshire museum for air. That one is owned by the Buccaneer Aircrew Association, of which I am a member. The numbers of us are dwindling, but we still get together to hoist a pint every year.

I can never understand the reasons for the retirement of such aircraft, especially when you hear such comments as in that video:
    Probably One of the finest military jets Britain has ever produced
    If they were so damn good why in hell did they even retire them and spend so much wasted billions on R&D and politics attempting to get replacements that can maybe do half of what the previous models could do, and often could do them better than any replacement????
    The same thing seem to happen in all countries.

But I think I'll pass and avoid all the conflicting comments to do with politics and money and the various power struggles and the various governments and Military departments. And then there's the total cost per plane which is almost astronomical these days.

By the way, congratulations on your involvement and sorties with such a beautiful and versatile bird.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    It's really pretty simple and not very controversial, Patrick. The bottom line is airplanes wear out. Each flight hour puts stress on the structure, the wings, the systems. Just like an old car, an old airplane gets to the point where the maintenance becomes unreasonable. And if you decide to buy new, why not buy a new model with new materials and capabilities instead of a decades-old design? The engines in the Mk 2 Buccaneer are Rolls-Royce Spey engines, a low-bypass engine originally designed for smaller airliners that RR customized for the Buccaneer. But RR doesn't manufacture that engine any more because it was too noisy for airliners and generated too much smoke in service at higher power. To replace it would require reworking almost all of the inside of the jet. That gets prohibitively expensive.

Works the same as for automobiles. After a while it's just time to get a newer vehicle and retire the old one(s).

That's not politics, it's mechanics. The politics comes in when you get to picking what to buy to replace it.
    Jake

It's really pretty simple and not very controversial, Patrick. The bottom line is airplanes wear out. Each flight hour puts stress on the structure, the wings, the systems. Just like an old car, an old airplane gets to the point where the maintenance becomes unreasonable.

Thanks Jake and that makes more sense.

In other words, the commentators should modify or restrict their comments or add some additional comments such as "At the time..." etc ... Probably One of the finest military jets Britain [had] ever produced.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Nah, I think they were correct. It was the finest jet they have ever produced. (At least according to those who have flown the newer ones.) All I know is that it was designed to fly at sea level to be under the radar as long as possible, to be very fast down there to give the target very little time to react once they could see you and to deliver a weapon with accuracy. So, at 100' or less at 540kts it was a very comfortable ride, very stable and predictable. And as you got lower than 100', the ride smoothed out even more as ground-effect kicked in. It was hard to get it to stay below 25' at speed because the ground-effect kept pushing you up, but I do remember one dawn ride down Scotland's Great Glen (Loch Ness and Loch William) at 15' that was spectacular! Nobody but us and the fishermen.
    Jake

but I do remember one dawn ride down Scotland's Great Glen (Loch Ness and Loch William) at 15' that was spectacular! Nobody but us and the fishermen.

Now THAT would have to be THE RIDE of a lifetime!!!

And maybe even a necessary change of undewear for some.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information