Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The saga continues ...

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    The saga continues ...
    I borrowed a working iPhone 6 to use to test some of the nav software and how it interfaces with the Sync 3 system on my vehicle using CarPlay. The good news is that CarPlay has absolutely no issue with the Sync 3 system and everything shows up properly, I have some limited control over the apps using the vehicle interface and the routing stuff works perfectly. What is odd is the displayed speed, which I assume is based on GPS data, is way off.

The software started to give me an "over speed limit" warning and when I looked at the speedometer I noticed that I was under the speed limit. In fact the displayed speed was 7-9 miles/hour over what the speedometer said it was and when I checked on my Android Phone (don't ask) I noticed that the same apps running on it showed the correct speed. This raised a question about why the iPhone would be so inaccurate when mthey Android phone was right on the money in terms of the displayed speed. What would cause a displayed speed limit to be off by so much?

We are traveling and will be returning tomorrow and I will do some testing while we are on the road. One thing I will test is whether the speed limit displayed on my wife's iPhone 8 Plus is off as the iPhone 6 is, or whether it is just the 6.

The saga continues ...
    I was wondering if your iPhone needed an iOS Update to fix a GPS bug, but it doesn't look like your model are affected:
    Apple Releases iOS 9.3.6 and iOS 10.3.4 With GPS Bug Fix for Older iPhones and iPads - MacRumors

But maybe check anyway...

- Patrick
    ======

The saga continues ...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I was wondering if your iPhone needed an iOS Update to fix a GPS bug, but it doesn't look like your model are affected:
    Apple Releases iOS 9.3.6 and iOS 10.3.4 With GPS Bug Fix for Older iPhones and iPads - MacRumors
    Thanks. I did not know that there was a GPS bug in the old iOS versions.

The iPhone 6 in question was on an old version of iOS that did not even include support for Waze or Google Maps so I updated it before I left for the trip. The update took it from 10.? to 12.4 (I looked at what the previous iOS version was, but do not remember exactly, only that it was 10.something) and I could run Waze, Google Maps, Sygic GPS and Sygic Car through CarPlay after the update. The GPS seems to work properly as far as the navigation is concerned, but I don't know about how the speed is computed.

It was my fault that I did not check my wife's iPhone 8 Plus to see how fast it said we were traveling, but I will do that tomorrow on our trip back home.

I would check with AppleCare but the iPhone is long out of support. The incorrect speed is the only thing I noticed that was wrong as the nav stuff all seems to work properly other than that. Turns are exactly where the software says they are, it has no issue locating us properly and the No GPS signal messages that I got with the iPhone I returned are all gone.

The saga continues ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Was the iPhone 6 using cell service, or Wi-Fi?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

The saga continues ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Was the iPhone 6 using cell service, or Wi-Fi?
    I believe Mike purchased the iPhone for just the GPS. No SIM card, therefore no cell service.

The saga continues ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    Recently bought a 2019 rav4, was excited to finally use CarPlay... I have an iPhone XS, and I find the speed in Waze is often slightly out of wack. Sometimes by 3-5 or sometimes, far more than that. I honestly don’t pay attention to it. Latest iOS.

Edit: I’ll add that I am using cellular data, not WiFi.
    Last edited by Groovetube; 08-15-2019 at 11:54 AM.

The saga continues ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If the phone is connecting to Wi-Fi and connecting to the vehicle, that could be the delay, not sure about the location issue though.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

The saga continues ...

Your Mac's Specs
    The iPhone 6 has an inactive SIM card in it and is connected to my cell hot spot. I have been testing Sygic and it is an off-network nav system as far as routine is concerned and I assume it uses GPS for the current location. It has traffic and alerts, but those require an active network of course, and I have been assuming that the cell wifi connection is enough. Is it possible that the inaccurate speed is due to the lack of an active SIM card? I would have thought that a cell wifi connection would provide everything an active SIM card would provide. Is that wrong?

The speed displayed on the Sygic nav system is consistently 7-9 mph too high. When I am doing 30 it shows 37-39, usually 38. When I am doing 60 it shows 67-69. It is never right unless I am stopped at a stop light or traffic sign, and then it shows 0, but then I am not too worried about traffic cameras or speed radar.

Maybe what I should try is removing the SIM card from my phone and placing it in the iPhone 6 to see if that fixes the issue.

The saga continues ...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I believe Mike purchased the iPhone for just the GPS. No SIM card, therefore no cell service.
    I have been trying to avoid adding the phone to my service. It is probably another $40/month and that seems like a waste since I only use it for navigation.

The saga continues ...
    It was my fault that I did not check my wife's iPhone 8 Plus to see how fast it said we were traveling, but I will do that tomorrow on our trip back home.

Regardless of any iOS software, I cannot imagine myself relying or using any speed indication from any iDevice while I am travelling on any road, especially when I have a good reliable speedometer in front of me.

And I'm sure not going to get into any glancing at any iDevice while driving.

The rules up in this part of the country are pretty clear and strict and carry some pretty hefty fines!!!

What's wrong with just using the car's speedometer to determine your speed????

- Patrick
    ======

The saga continues ...

Your Mac's Specs
    What's wrong with just using the car's speedometer to determine your speed????
    I think you are missing the point here.

I do not rely on the speed posted on the nav device to tell me how fast I am going. I have the speedometer for that. However I do sometimes rely on the speed warning signal from the device to let me know if I have exceeded the speed limit.

There are times in cities when there is so much cross traffic, jay walkers and lane switchers that I have to keep my eyes on the road and it is good to have the nav system tell me if I have accidentally sped up too much. Sometimes on highways through built-up areas where people are merging on and off the highway, changing lanes and when the traffic is particularly heavy it is good to know that I will get a warning if my speed gets a bit too high.

Similarly when traveling in the country it is good to know that if I miss seeing a change in speed limit that the nav system will warn me so I can slow down. That is what the warning is for and if the speed limit shown by the display is off so are the warnings.

I drive an RV and on the main roads I seldom go faster than 62-64 mph and where I live, in the west, that is way below the speed limit, but often isolated intersections have lower speed limits and in heavy traffic it is often easy to miss them. If I am passing a truck I can not see any sign on the right side of the road, so the warning is very helpful.

The saga continues ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post
    I think you are missing the point here.

There are times in cities when there is so much cross traffic, jay walkers and lane switchers that I have to keep my eyes on the road and it is good to have the nav system tell me if I have accidentally sped up too much. Sometimes on highways through built-up areas where people are merging on and off the highway, changing lanes and when the traffic is particularly heavy it is good to know that I will get a warning if my speed gets a bit too high.

Similarly when traveling in the country it is good to know that if I miss seeing a change in speed limit that the nav system will warn me so I can slow down. That is what the warning is for and if the speed limit shown by the display is off so are the warnings.

That's a great point and it's one thing we find really helpful in unfamiliar territory.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

The saga continues ...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    That's a great point and it's one thing we find really helpful in unfamiliar territory.
    And the point of my "story" is that when the nav system displayed speed is incorrect so are the alarms. Thus I found myself driving through small cities, keeping under the 30, 35 and 45 mph speed limits, but listening to all of the alarms going off telling me that I am speeding because the alarms are triggered by the nav system speed limits and those are completely inaccurate.

On our return trip I checked the same nav system (Sygic) on my wife's iPhone 8 Plus and compared it with the one on the iPhone 6, and they were very different. The iPhone 6 was off by its normal 8 or 9 mph while the same software on the iPhone 8 Plus was only off by about 2 mph. I also checked Waze on the iPhone 6 and it was also off, exactly the same as Sygic so it is not the software. I wonder if the difference has to do with the GPS hardware in the phone itself?

I an reluctant to turn the alarms off since they can be really helpful, but they are not of any use to me as they are. Perhaps I need something a bit newer than an iPhone 6 for the nav software.

The saga continues ...
    And the point of my "story" is that when the nav system displayed speed is incorrect so are the alarms.

I wonder what the RVers are saying or finding at their popular RV Forum websits about the accuecy of the GPS stuff out there??????

- Patrick
    ======

The saga continues ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    I wonder what the RVers are saying or finding at their popular RV Forum websits about the accuecy of the GPS stuff out there??????

- Patrick
    ======
    I believe that devices with only one connection (to GPS), will have better accuracy than one device using a second device, to get the GPS, then using the first device for displaying on yet a third device?
    -- Bob --

Thread Information