Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    iPhone 6s and Apple Watch 2 Battery Usage
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    When you had your battery replaced was it a "genuine" Apple battery?
    Yes, it was a genuine Apple battery installed by the Apple Authorized Service Provider, iCare: iCare | Studio7

Of course, I didn't actually see them install the battery, but they are the only authorized service provider in the province in which I live. I previously had a defective Apple Watch replaced by them as arranged by me through Apple support. So, while I can't possibly be sure about the battery, I am sure that they are the authorized service provider.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Ah, well I live in Bali, Indonesia so I can relate to that.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    What I was getting at in an earlier post about the battery is that it may have been in their stock for quite awhile. The heat and humidity conditions in Korat are detrimental to batteries in general and if the battery was on the shelf for a length of time, it may have lost some of its capacity. We have very hot, dry conditions here in Texas during the Summer months but our Apple Stores maintain a fresh stock of parts including batteries. So there is less chance of getting one that is not up to par.

I imagine that Bali where Rod lives might also be subject to the same thing.

Somehow, the recommendations for storing such batteries for decent shelf life by keeping them in a cool, moisture-free environment doesn't exactly fit my imagined description of the climate conditions in Thailand or other such similar areas. But maybe that's inaccurate because I have never been there.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    What I was getting at in an earlier post about the battery is that it may have been in their stock for quite awhile. The heat and humidity conditions in Korat are detrimental to batteries in general and if the battery was on the shelf for a length of time, it may have lost some of its capacity. We have very hot, dry conditions here in Texas during the Summer months but our Apple Stores maintain a fresh stock of parts including batteries. So there is less chance of getting one that is not up to par.

I understand what you're saying, but:

• I just don't think this is a battery problem. I think it's a power management problem or something I've done that I can't figure out.
    • If this climate were really that hard on batteries then there would be widespread complaints about it: FB, Line, Twitter, etc. That just isn't happening. In general, smart phone battery life doesn't seem to be significantly different here than anywhere else in the world.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, I suppose you options are limited. You could erase the phone and setup as new. That would eliminate anything you may have done. If it's a power management issue within the circuitry then you're really at the "time to get a new phone" stage. Bim very happy with my 7 but the 8 is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Well, I suppose you options are limited. You could erase the phone and setup as new. That would eliminate anything you may have done. If it's a power management issue within the circuitry then you're really at the "time to get a new phone" stage. Bim very happy with my 7 but the 8 is better.
    Well, that's what I did and it was a real PITA.

If you noticed, the iPhone was running 12.3, the Public Beta.

I decided I'd ditch the beta program and install the normal Public Release, 12.2. This turns out to be much harder to do than it is to say:

First I deleted the Public Beta profile. But, to get back to Public Releases you have to wait until the next one. Since 12.2 just came out, it might be a while before 12.3 is released.

So, I tried to Restore the iPhone from iTunes. That didn't work:

Screenshot 2019-04-15 08.39.52.jpg

So, I had to put the phone in DFU mode. (That was very difficult because you have to time things exactly right.) That wiped the phone and installed 12.2.

From there I tried to Restore from an Encrypted Backup.

Sorry, since the iTunes backup was created under 12.3, that didn't work. So, I had to restore from a backup made last July. Needless to say, I had made a lot of changes to the phone since last July. It took many hours to download apps, books, maps, etc. Plus, many settings (like Accessibility) had to be changed along with configuring and re-authenticating many apps. This is an ongoing process as I discover new things that need to be done.

Once I did what I could I decided it was time to make new backups. A new Encrypted Backup via iTunes worked fine and was faster than expected. Then I did an iCloud Backup via iTunes. (Hey, I might need it when I'm away from home.) That worked fine and iTunes showed the two backups.

Then I went to the phone and decided to enable iCloud Backup there. Much to my surprise it immediately started a new backup. But, that backup failed. ("Some files were unavailable....") The backup had zero bytes. When I went and checked iTunes, the earlier iCloud backup had disappeared. WTF?

But, as far as battery usage goes, things look better. After a 30 minute cycling workout this morning the phone only lost a few percentage points of battery charge. Previously it would have dropped ten or twenty points.

Only time will tell.

The backup had zero bytes. When I went and checked iTunes, the earlier iCloud backup had disappeared. WTF?

May I suggest you invest in a copy of iMazing.app and probably save yourself some time and headaches:
    iMazing | iPhone, iPad & iPod Manager for Mac & PC

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick only just beat me to it ratsima. After reading you account, and believe me I can relate to every obstacle in the process, I thought gosh, that would have been easier with iMazing. Basically a local app/data manager for iOS devices it just gives you a lot more control over content. You can do updates of the iOS and apps and link to iTunes encrypted backups to iCloud if you like. You've seen the problems with encrypted backups first hand but with iMazing you can have both.

Anyway, you seem to have solved your problem so well done. Don't hesitate to contact this forum again at any time and thanks for the feedback.

Rod.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Alright. I'll give iMazing a try.

Meanwhile....

The battery consumption problem is much improved. Although it was a hassle, I'm glad I did what I did.

My 6s is useable again.

Your Mac's Specs
    Your efforts were probably well worth the price of a new iPhone but its a big saving and I doubt if you want to setup another new phone today.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Your efforts were probably well worth the price of a new iPhone but its a big saving and I doubt if you want to setup another new phone today.
    I've been contemplating a new phone for some time now. And, as an Apple shareholder I feel some obligation to keep the brand moving. But, I really like the 6s. It's just the right size. Big enough that I can read a Kindle novel and the Bangkok Post on it, but small enough to fit in the front pocket of the shorts I wear every day. The only thing I miss is having a camera with a long focus lens.

As for setting up a new phone....

Well, the only reason this was a hassle is because of that darn beta iOS that I was running. I'll not do that again.

Why'd I do it in the first place? Well, iOS 11 introduced a nasty GPS surprise on some older phones. That made it very hard to use apps that insist on GPS level accuracy from Location Services, such as Waze, Strava and MotionX GPS. I hated that but the beta fixed it, so I bit. Should have bailed much earlier than I did.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    My 6s is useable again.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. The battery consumption through most of the day seemed nominal. But, when I finished watching a Netflix movie in the heat of the afternoon I picked up my iPhone found it warm to the touch. Why? And, all of a sudden the battery percentage was about 35%. Wow. So, I shut down the phone and turned it on again. Then the battery percentage is all of a sudden back up to 56%. How can this happen?

BatteryJump.jpg

The only thing I miss is having a camera with a long focus lens.

There are sure lots of options to fix that. Maybe start here or just google, and some are pretty cheap as well:
    Best iPhone 6/6s camera lenses: Add-on lenses to help you take the ideal photo | Macworld

Then the battery percentage is all of a sudden back up to 56%. How can this happen?
    Possibly from some built up internal resistance and the battery's capatance.

There's a hell of a lot of stuff happening with new batteries these days and how they work, but I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it as long as it works close to its specifications.

If you like to know more, maybe check out some places like Battery University but has all kinds of useful understandable information.

Maybe you might want to consider using some type of the external power pack/batteries that are available.

Or is it really hard to buy such equipment in Thailand?? That would be odd as so much of the stuff seems to be made there and neighboring countries.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 21"
    I have both an Olloclip and a Sony Lens Camera for the 6s. I pretty much gave up on both. Say I'm riding my bicycle and see a Asian Openbill Stork that I'd like to photograph. Grab the phone. Remove the case. Find the Olloclip. Put it on. Oops, the bird has flown. Add-on lenses are just too slow and cumbersome. Plus, you have to remember to bring them along or take them everywhere you go.

I do have a power bank for my 6s which I keep in my backpack. If I go on a long bike ride I put it in my bike bag for that mid-pedal charge. I have a charging cable and adapter for it in the car as well.

You're right, most of that stuff is made in this part of the world. Oddly, some of it is easy to get and some of it is hard to find. But, it's getting better all the time.

Thread Information