Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Move photos fr iPhone to iPad withOUT iCloud?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 6; iPad Air2, 64GB
    Greetings to all you wonderful experts!

I would like to move photos from my iPhone 6 (which can only run iOS10 partly b/c I've too many photos...) to iPad running iOS12. Way too many to use AirDrop. I absolutely do not want to use iCloud. Is this possible, and if so, how please?

Sorry for posting in wrong place. Broken wrist and I clicked the wrong this.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Sorry about the wrist.

You could use something like Dropbox or OneDrive if you can get them installed on the old version of iOS and the newer one on the iPad (I think you can, check with the iTunes store).

Just curious, why so opposed to iCloud? That's the easiest and quickest way to get it done.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 6; iPad Air2, 64GB
    Thanks for reply abd wrist sympathy - it's pretty miserable.

iCloud has scrambled my photos too many times. Plus it takes photos from my Mac and stuffs those onto my iPad too. DropBox won't work on iOS10. I can't install anything on the iPhone as I've no space at all.

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, how about iMazing? It replaces iTunes. Don't know if it supports 10, but worth looking at it. Gives a lot more access to things on the iPhone.

One other thought is to do a full backup, then reset the phone, upgrade to 12, then restore your files. Kind of a last resort, but if nothing else works, that might.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Why not use Image Capture on your Mac? Transfer the images, into a single folder, then copy them onto the newer phone?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for replies. I've been locked out of here for some strange password problem. iMazing will not get photos to iPad, just to Mac. Not sure Image Capture will work for 7 gigs of photos?

Your Mac's Specs
    Image capture should not care how many or how large the images are. It will just take more time to accomplish 7G of data moving. But you still have to figure out how to get them to the iPad without iCloud.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you MacInWin.

If I use iCloud it grabs every photo on my Mac, and that is much more space than I have on my iPad, nor do I want all those photos on my iPad. There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this?

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, what is synced is what is in Photos, so you COULD create a new Photos database through Photos/Preferences, import from the iPhone to that new database so that only those pictures are in the database, then turn on iCloud on the Mac to get them up to iCloud and then turn on iCloud sync on the iPad to bring them down to Photos on the iPad and once all is done syncing, turn off syncing and go into Photos Preferences and point back to the original database. None of the pictures from the iPhone will be in that older database.

All that assumes, of course, that there is sufficient room at iCloud for all those 7 G to be stored? And that iCloud works with iOS 10. But it might work.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Try PhotoSync. It's an iOS app with a counterpart for macOS. You can use it to transfer directly to another iDevice or Mac running the software (EDIT: actually you can also transfer to other supported platforms that have the app available). I've used it on and off for years now and it's great.

https://www.photosync-app.com/home.html

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Pretty much all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models are supported. If your device is running an older iOS version (prior to iOS 5), some features may not be available, though.
    That comes from the OS support pages.

iMazing has a feature that allows users to transfer data from one IOS device to another. You connect both devices and select the source device. Choose transfer to another device and then select the data to be trnsferred. It is possible to transfer just the photos. suggest making a backup of the devce first (which iMazing also does).

You could use iTunes to move the photos as well. Using either methd does not require iCloud.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You could use iTunes to move the photos as well. Using either method does not require iCloud.
    How would you do it using iTunes? I'm always a bit reluctant to use iTunes to move anything between devices since it seems to have a mind of its own. Everytime I try moving things with iTunes it wants to "sync" them instead and that usually results in overwriting what's on the device you're try to move things to.

Which is why I trust and use iMazing. As long as both devices are on the same network, it will move just about anything from one to the other.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I don’t know if this was posted, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302#importmac.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    @ Charlie

I could have sworn I've done this before using iTunes but can't find a way to do it in the current version. Thanks for correcting me. Going to put on the dunce cap for a while though.

In either case I know iMazing works. I moved some photos from my wife's phone recently using iMazing and she doesn't have iCloud enabled.

BTW If the Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band final tour is appearing anywhere near youo go see it.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Which is why I trust and use iMazing. As long as both devices are on the same network, it will move just about anything from one to the other.

+1!!! 101%!!! I couldn't agree more!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information