Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blocking tone when iPhone is connected
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini

I have an iPhone XS and I'm having a definitely-first-world issue. I have a charging pad on the nightstand beside my bed. My wife goes to bed much earlier than I do, so when I come in, I try to be quiet and not wake her up. But when I put my iPhone on the charging pad there is a loud "bong" which invariably wakes her up. I've been through all the settings I can find, and I've looked at the online documentation from Apple, but no mention of that particular sound. I did a couple of internet searches for "tone on power connect" and "bong on power connect" (That one got some interesting results.) but none of them talked about that particular sound. It's NOT listed in the Settings/Sounds & Haptics options, it is not affected by the Do Not Disturb function, but it is affected by the switch on the side of the iPhone. I'd like to have the switch set ON so that if I get a call during the night it actually rings instead of just vibrate, but then I get the tone when the phone is put on the charger. What I'm doing now is to put it on the charger with the switch to silent, then move the switch to the other position, but then if I have to pick up the phone for any reason during the night, unless I remember to move the switch when I put it back, it bongs.

So, any genius out there know how to turn off that tone? I'd be happy with it totally gone, if that is what is required. I don't need the tone at all.

TIA
    Jake

I have an iPhone XS and I'm having a definitely-first-world issue.

Leave the iPhone and its charger in the kitchen or somewhere other than the bedroom.

And enjoy a peaceful night along with your wife.

BTW: Is it the iPhone or maybe the charger causing the bong sound??

EDIT: Not the same sound I don't think, but maybe this old solution might help:
    A Simple Trick to Silently Plug-In iPhone to Charge Without Buzzing or Chiming Sound
    http://osxdaily.com/2017/04/24/silen...no-sound-buzz/

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 02-21-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Nice find, Patrick. But it's no better than my current switch off/on routine because I would need to remember to do that every time. And if I pick up the phone during the night for any reason, I would have to remember to do the camera on/off before putting it back. The annoying part of this is that the tone is NOT controlled by the volume switch, either. I may call Apple if nobody has any suggestions.

The iPhone is my bedside clock, so leaving it in another room is a non-option.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Jake,

Suppose you keep the silent switch on (on side of phone, as you suggested) and then do the following:

Launch Settings from your Home screen.
    Tap on General.
    Tap on Accessibility.
    Tap LED Flash for Alerts.
    Toggle LED Flash for Alerts to ON.

From my reading, this means that when you get a phone call (or other notification), the phone will flash an LED light on. It's a fairly bright light, not easily missed except with a very deep sleeper, I guess.

That's just one setting before bed. Don't have to toggle things on and off before or after a call.

Any use?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks, Ian, I'll experiment with that. And one correction, the tone is controllable with the volume settings, so I could try turning it way down. So that's now two things to experiment with.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    How about "Do Not Disturb"? If that is enabled, do you still get the sound you're referring to?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    DnD does not stop the tone. The camera trick works, and it is subject to the volume setting. I need to see if the alarm settings are lowered by the volume setting, because if they are not, it may just be that I can set the volume to zero and still have my alarm clock.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    DnD does not stop the tone. The camera trick works, and it is subject to the volume setting. I need to see if the alarm settings are lowered by the volume setting, because if they are not, it may just be that I can set the volume to zero and still have my alarm clock.

Just curious here, but is there not an Apple tutorial or some "how-to" list that would give some sort of solution to the problem???

I can't believe that you would be the only person owning an iPhone that has this problem and Apple hasn't provided any proper solution.

I doubt very much that your wife would appreciate being provided with a set of earphones to use when she goes to bed. (Sorry, bad joke attempt!!!)

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    There is a full on-line manual for the iPhone, and another for iOS at Apple.com. Neither of them address the tone.

It did cross my mind to get her earplugs...but only for a fleeting second.
    Jake

How about this, especially the possible solution at the end, but many were having the opposite problem that you are. So maybe you could reverse their solutions:
    Oct 7, 2018 10:41 PM in response to Rjpalko

Silly me - had same issue - problem was due to Ring/Silent button being toggled off (button is located just above the volume up/down buttons on left-hand side of phone). Doh! https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT203017. Must say would be nice to have some visual clue on the phone that this button is toggled on.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8352967?page=3

Lots of others with the same problem and other sort-of solutions starting at page #1:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8352967

PS:
    It did cross my mind to get her earplugs...but only for a fleeting second.
    Not related, But I did buy my wife and extra anchor for our boat for her birthday once. She still reminds me of it occasionally, but it was sure useful and very handy.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Dang, Patrick, I thought I had a solution. The folks in that long thread were complaining that Bleacher Report killed that tone so they had to uninstall BR to get the tone to work. Perfect! I downloaded BR, installed it and dang, they have fixed the bug and the tone is still there.
    Jake

OK, I don't know if this would still work, but what about removing the sound files that seem to be responsible for the tone so they just can't bloody well play!!!

It looks like these are the responsible tones:
    connect_power.caf
    engage_power.caf

A bit involved, but possible I would think:
    https://www.redmondpie.com/enable-ai...now-heres-how/

Or, maybe just buy a small bedside clock, but make sure it's LED lights can be dimmed nice and low properly, or add small piece of colored tape as they use for tinting car windows etc.

EDIT:
    Or another alternative:
    AirPower without Jailbreak Tutorial
    Arαn
    Published on Jan 3, 2018
    Open Filza and go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
    Then rename engage_power.caf to connect_power.caf
    Then rename the **OLD** connect_power.caf to engage_power.caf
    If you aren’t sure which is the old or new one tap the .caf file to hear the sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgvk8xMjZbU

Gee, this reminds me of hacking with ResEdit!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 02-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Ok, here's an interesting possible solution. You say the main downside to the silent switch solution is that you still want to be able to hear the phone ring if you receive call during the night. You can set specific contacts to "Emergency Bypass" which is described as "allows sounds and vibrations from this person even when Do Not Disturb is on." I just tried this and it works even with just the silent switch activated (Do Not Disturb not activated). My iPhone X (running iOS 12.1.4) rang when the contact I activated Emergency Bypass on called my phone, even though my silent switch was on.

Go to Contacts > click on the contact you want > click Edit > click Ringtone > turn on Emergency Bypass > click Done > click Done
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Jake, did this solution work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Ok, here's an interesting possible solution. You say the main downside to the silent switch solution is that you still want to be able to hear the phone ring if you receive call during the night. You can set specific contacts to "Emergency Bypass" which is described as "allows sounds and vibrations from this person even when Do Not Disturb is on." I just tried this and it works even with just the silent switch activated (Do Not Disturb not activated). My iPhone X (running iOS 12.1.4) rang when the contact I activated Emergency Bypass on called my phone, even though my silent switch was on.

Go to Contacts > click on the contact you want > click Edit > click Ringtone > turn on Emergency Bypass > click Done > click Done
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Your Mac's Specs
    Jonathan, I tried it and it works. Haven't decided about the practicality of it yet, but it's definitely a solution. Thanks.

Of course, the challenge is that while I can do that, it would still block calls from any number NOT in the contacts list and so marked, which would include any Emergency room that tried to call me about a family member, for example. My phone doesn't ring during the night, but I really don't want to end up preventing it from doing so in an emergency.
    Jake

Thread Information