Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Jonathan, I tried it and it works. Haven't decided about the practicality of it yet, but it's definitely a solution. Thanks.

Of course, the challenge is that while I can do that, it would still block calls from any number NOT in the contacts list and so marked, which would include any Emergency room that tried to call me about a family member, for example. My phone doesn't ring during the night, but I really don't want to end up preventing it from doing so in an emergency.
    Well then I guess your original solution, unfortunately, may be the best one for you until Apple decides to give users control over the charge tone. Unfortunately, it's not affected by the volume button.

Another idea is just to charge the phone before you go to bed (during the evening) and then just let it run on battery during the night - charge again in the morning to bring back to 100%. Of course, that depends on what your lifestyle is like.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Blocking tone when iPhone is connected
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Yeah, the idea of letting it run on battery overnight has occurred to me and I could make it work, but it just seems silly to have it running down when I am not going to use it, but then be on a charger when I could be using it.

At this point, given that Apple doesn't have a way to control just that one tone, she'll have to put up with being disturbed. Or stay up later.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I take it, Jake, that you felt on balance that relying on a flashing light instead of a ringtone might result in a missed call - post #4?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Jake,

From my reading, this means that when you get a phone call (or other notification), the phone will flash an LED light on. It's a fairly bright light, not easily missed except with a very deep sleeper, I guess.

Any use?

Ian
    I have my phone set that way because I don't want to disturb classes during the day. Sometimes I forget to flip the switch when I get home. On occassion I have missed calls whether I'm awake or asleep. I've certainly missed one or two at night and I'm not always a heavy sleeper.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah, Ian, I am concerned about the light approach. I am a pretty deep sleeper, even my alarm clock takes a while to roust me out. And I most likely would forget to go back to sound for the ring during the day.

As I said, I'm going to have to put up with it until/unless Apple allows control of that tone.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    There's one clumsy solution to this that I just read about, and that's to open up the camera app before plugging it in. That will force an override of the tone. Once plugged in, close the app. It'd be a hassle to remember to do it, but I just tried it and it works.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Coming to this late. Jake, what do you mean by charger pad? Is it a multiple dock, is it Apple? I charge my phone overnight on my bedside table, have Do Not Disturb enabled (except for family), but there is only a tiny click when I plug in the USB charging cord. Is the charger making the sound rather than the phone? Change over to a cord if it's a dock?
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Sue, it is a third party (Anker) QI charger pad for my iPhone XS. I have DnD enabled but when I put the iPhone on the pad and it starts charging, I get a noticeable "bong" tone. I also get that same tone when I plug it in with the cable, so it's in the iPhone, not the charging pad. Basically, the phone is acknowledging that it is charging, which is good except at night when my wife is asleep.

I get the same bong when I plug in my iPad, so it's built into the iOS somewhere. But no way to select whether or not it is functional.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    You're riight about it buing built in so to speak. I get the same tone no matter which charging method I use. I'm not sure whether the tone is accomplished throughhardware or software. I can think of ways to accomplish it either way,
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

I get the same bong when I plug in my iPad, so it's built into the iOS somewhere. But no way to select whether or not it is functional.

Jake, have you seen this and tried it???:

There are, however, times when that chime is annoying or downright intrusive, but unfortunately, Apple does not give us the option of turning it off. There is actually a way of charging your iPhone without that sound ever playing though, and while it is far from ideal, this little trick does indeed work. Best of all, it does not require any jailbreak to work.

If you don’t want to hear that familiar chime the next time you plug your iPhone into a Lightning cable to charge it, here is what you need to do: ...
    https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-di...reak-required/

Worth a try maybe???
    Unless Apple has disabled the feature...
    But I think it's about what you've already tried... maybe...

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 03-23-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah, I've seen that, and one for turning down the volume, putting the phone on the charger and then turning the volume back up, one to use the silence switch to silence the phone, put it on the charger and then move the switch again. All of those "work" but are multi-step. I just wanted to silence the tone and not have to go through gyrations to do it.

So far, a big bucket of nope.
    Jake

So far, a big bucket of nope.

Okay, but just a crazy thought here ...

What aboutI using some sort of AppleScript??? I'm sure not your man for suggestions but maybe this could help:
    Invoking AppleScript from iOS Shortcuts
    Invoking AppleScript from iOS Shortcuts
    It may seem surprising but its actually really easy to invoke AppleScript from an iOS Shortcut script.
    https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/invo...shortcuts/1649

As I suggested... just a crazy thought... or something similar like that.

Or maybe plugin a short cable before you get to the bedroom and stick the iPhone into a small soundproof lead pouch or case???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't speak AppleScript, but the cable before going to the bedroom isn't going to work because it's the arrival of power that triggers the sound, not just a cable being plugged in. And I want to still be able to use the iPhone as an alarm clock.

I've given up on it unless Apple changes something.
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    My watch does the same thing. My circumstances are the same as well. No apparent solution i can find.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, but I wear my watch to bed (monitoring sleep) and put on on the charger while I get ready in the morning, so the bong from it is not as critical.
    Jake

Thread Information