Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iTunes cannot sync to XS Max

I bought a new XS Max and tried to sync my songs from iTunes but it says it cannot connect to this iPhone because I have no permission. I don't recall doing anything absurd, why would this message come up please?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Has the new XsMax been authorized in iTunes?

This from Apple:

How do I authorize my iPhone?

Open the iTunes application on the computer and click the Options icon.
    If needed, click Show Menu Bar.
    Click Store.
    Click Authorize This Computer or Deauthorize This Computer.
    Enter the Apple ID and Password, then click Authorize or Deauthorize.
    Click OK.

It did not work. It just ended up re-authorizing the MBP but not the XsMax. The error message still popped up when connecting XsMax to MBP. How can I authorize a remote Apple device?

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    Yes, that is what would happen.
    Can I ask if you are logged in on the phone to iCloud?
    If so scroll down to iTunes and App store settings on your phone and check that you are signed in with your apple id at the top and that the other item are all switched on.
    Of course the apple id needs to be the same for all devices. Itunes, iPhone, AppStore iCloud services etc.
    Restart your phone and go to (on your computer) iTunes > Account > View my Account, you will need to sign in again. Scroll down to iTunes in the Cloud and click on Manage devices.
    You should see your iPhone in that list. There is a limit of 5 devices. If you already have 5 you will need to deauthrize one of them for your new iPhone to appear.
    After that your problem should be solved.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Hi Rod,

Thanks for the advice above.

I just did what you said and found no fewer than 9 devices still linked to iTunes despite the fact that 4 of them had previously been wiped and signed out of iCloud, iTunes etc before I passed them on to deserving friends & others.

So I removed them.

Great tip. Many thanks.

Ian
    Ian

Thank you for the advice, I will give it a try at home tonight. I do have two general questions about this: first, i did not know that in order to sync between Apple devices, iCloud must be turned on? second, I could not find Account from the itunes setting on my phone.

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pettycash View Post
    Thank you for the advice, I will give it a try at home tonight. I do have two general questions about this: first, i did not know that in order to sync between Apple devices, iCloud must be turned on? second, I could not find Account from the itunes setting on my phone.
    Firstly, syncing anything from any Mac device to any other Mac device, is always via iCloud. And you have to be signed in to iCloud on each device and for each "thing" you want synced.

As regards your iPhone: Go into Settings - at the very top is Your Name, under which, in small letters, is Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App... Tap on that.

This will take you to -

Your Name
    Name, Phone Numbers, Email
    Password & Security
    Payment & Shipping

iCloud
    iTunes & App Store
    Share My Location
    Set Up Family Sharing

Tap on iTunes & App Store

Hope that helps.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Firstly, syncing anything from any Mac device to any other Mac device, is always via iCloud. And you have to be signed in to iCloud on each device and for each "thing" you want synced.

Ian
    Thanks. So will it still work if I log on iCloud but turn off everything like backup, contacts, etc.?

- - - Updated - - -

As regards your iPhone: Go into Settings - at the very top is Your Name, under which, in small letters, is Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App... Tap on that.

This will take you to -

Your Name
    Name, Phone Numbers, Email
    Password & Security
    Payment & Shipping

iCloud
    iTunes & App Store
    Share My Location
    Set Up Family Sharing

Tap on iTunes & App Store

Hope that helps.

Ian
    That was what I saw and did but still could not see Account option or elsewhere that I can see the devices authorized. I think I could only see View Account from the iTunes on my MBP.

Your Mac's Specs
    You have to be logged in to iCloud on each device, but you can choose how many or how few things you want to sync. You simple tick/tap them or not.

So if you only want to sync Mail, Safari and Keychain - just as an example - you can choose not to sync any/all of the others.

Moreover, you can choose what syncs to where. For example, you might want Mail on all your devices, Safari on just two devices and Contacts on only one.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks Ian.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What specific OS X/macOS version are you using?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pettycash View Post
    On the iPhone when you go to settings you will see at the top your name, under that you will see it lists Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store.
    Click on this panel and it will take you to another page with your account details at the top then iCloud, iTunes & App store, Location Sharing, followed by a list of devices you can login on.
    Click on iTunes and App Store and you should see your iTunes status and email used for your Apple ID. If so then you are logged in. Tapping it will bring up a menu to View your Account details, Sign out, or go to iForgot should you need to reset your Password.
    You will see that you can also turn on Automatic Downloads for purchases. You don't have to turn these on if you sync your device via USB regularly or prefer manual control of these functions.

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Rod,

Thanks for the advice above.

I just did what you said and found no fewer than 9 devices still linked to iTunes despite the fact that 4 of them had previously been wiped and signed out of iCloud, iTunes etc before I passed them on to deserving friends & others.

So I removed them.

Great tip. Many thanks.

Ian
    Yes, I only found one rogue device but it was worth the look just for that. It was a laptop I restored for my daughter ages ago. So I deauthrized it of course but it's a place I don't go very often, like many of us I imagine.

I don't know what is wrong. I can see that my device is there by viewing my account from the phone, but when I connect to iTunes of my MBP, it keeps telling me iTunes could not connect. I do not have permission. Further, under iTunes, I could not see my new phone from viewing my account either.

Your Mac's Specs
    Obviously we're missing something here.
    You connect your phone to your computer via USB.
    The phone appears at the top of the iTunes sidebar menu as an icon.
    When you click on that icon you should get a window with options to backup, setup or restore but you say it just tells you no permissions, right. Maybe I'll send some pictures. Could you send a screen shot of iTunes with the phone plugged in? I feel like we're missing something simple.

Sent from my iPhone

Thread Information