Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Carplay

Apple Carplay

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I'm new to CarPlay and don't use Maps often. I don't think the data use is too bad though. You might give this a quick read. The author describes how he went about calculate the data used during a commute. That method may not help with one off trips but might be a good way to estimate typical useage.
    I am hardly an expert on issues like this, but one thing I did notice is that Waze does not even seem to need a cell signal once the initial route has been determined. It seems as though once it sets up the initial routing it may use gps signals to determine where you are and how fast you are traveling.

I currently use an old Samsung S7 Edge and Android Auto for Waze since it is a spare phone. It does not have an active SIM card so it has no cell signal unless I turn on our cell hot spot and connect the phone wifi to that. With the phone on the hot spot I set up an initial route and generally just leave the hot spot on, but I have turned it off to check to see how Waze works on it without a hot spot and without an active SIM card, and Waze runs just fine. It tracks where I am and how fast I am going, and I don't see how that can happen unless Waze uses gps signals for routing.

The one limitation is that it can not do the routing without a cell signal from the hot spot, so it has to be connected for that. All of this is guesswork, so keep that in mind.

Apple Carplay
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks for that info Mike. I haven't tried Waze in my area in a while. Traffic is not so bad most of the time so Waze is of limited value.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Apple Carplay
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Heck, anything is better than Apple Maps, although it's supposed to be greatly improved with iOS 13. Traffic is so bad in downtown Dallas or Fort Worth, I don't have the time or nerve to keep watching my iPhone. That's why I continue to keep a street map in the car. LOL.

Apple Carplay
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Waze will continue to navigate, within limits, without a cell connection or WiFI hotspot to the Internet. However, if you depart the planned path too far, you will drive off the cached maps and be on your own. In addition, it will not recalculate or show any traffic issues without connection. I have a route I drive where for about 20 minutes there is no cell coverage and Waze will navigate fine, but not do any alerts.
    Jake

Apple Carplay

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Waze will continue to navigate, within limits, without a cell connection or WiFI hotspot to the Internet. However, if you depart the planned path too far, you will drive off the cached maps and be on your own. In addition, it will not recalculate or show any traffic issues without connection. I have a route I drive where for about 20 minutes there is no cell coverage and Waze will navigate fine, but not do any alerts.
    That is good to know, and I assume it makes sense. If it needs a cell signal to compute the route then it should need one to recompute the route if you go off of the specified route.

As far as the alerts are concerned, that also makes sense. A couple of months ago I found myself in a terrible traffic jam and Waze kept updating how long it would take for me to get past the congestion, so it had to be accessing the internet for that information. Without a cell signal I would think that there would be no way to update.

Thread Information