Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iPhone X vs iPhone 8 Plus

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    My wife suggested that it might be nice to get a new iPhone for her birthday (she currently has an iPhone 7 Plus) so I went online to look at a comparison between the 8 Plus and the X. What I found is that there is not much difference. The only differences that I could find is that the X has a slightly larger screen (5.8 inches vs 5.5 inches) and the biometric security differs between the two (Face ID vs Touch ID). That does not seem like very much difference for the cost difference of $200.

I am not sure she cares which one she gets so I thought I would ask if anyone on this forum has actually compared the two phones and found any other differences - speed, screen handling, available cases or so on. Anything that could help me make a choice between the two versions.

iPhone X screen takes up the entire front, no home button. You can only do the Animoji's on iPhone X and I believe the special Portrait mode as well. The hardware is essentially the same, from the CPU to the other aspects. Go to an Apple store near you and play with both and decide what you want to purchase.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Isn't the camera different, too? I wasn't really tracking the 8-X differences, but I seem to recall that the camera on the X was different than the 8plus.
    Jake

Jake, it is, thus the ability to do the special portrait picture (depth of field) with the dual cameras.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    With a bit of luck, this Link will take you to the Apple site where there is a direct side-by-side comparison between the 8+ and the X:

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    My wife suggested that it might be nice to get a new iPhone for her birthday
    LOL, I love that, "suggested". If your wife is like mine a suggestion usually means "do it".

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    Well from a female's point of view and having owned a 7+ and now the X, I really like my X. I was concerned about the smaller size in my hand. My last three phones were large and I liked the size. When I first got the iPhone X, I thought it would be too narrow. It is about a quarter inch narrower that the 8+. My friend has the 8+ so we compared them. Turns out I really like the smaller size. It fits better in my hand and in my pocket.

I also love swiping. Once I figured it out I fell in love. I now have a hard time using my husbands 7. I was never a fan of the home button and my fingerprints are hard to read so not having one is great. Also the face ID works flawlessly even if I have no makeup on or am wearing sunglasses.

I also noticed that the 8+ is a bit heavier than the 7+ but that just may be me. The screen on the X is beautiful - and well I just really like it. When I see a 7+ or 8+ now I just feel like all that area at the top and bottom is wasted space.

That's my 2 cents but I am sure she will love whatever you get her.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    but I am sure she will love whatever you get her.
    But it had better be an X

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    LOL, I love that, "suggested". If your wife is like mine a suggestion usually means "do it".
    Yes. I could have put quote marks around suggested but I assume any other married man would know what the word really meant!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Well from a female's point of view and having owned a 7+ and now the X, I really like my X. I was concerned about the smaller size in my hand. My last three phones were large and I liked the size. When I first got the iPhone X, I thought it would be too narrow. It is about a quarter inch narrower that the 8+. My friend has the 8+ so we compared them. Turns out I really like the smaller size. It fits better in my hand and in my pocket.

I also love swiping. Once I figured it out I fell in love. I now have a hard time using my husbands 7. I was never a fan of the home button and my fingerprints are hard to read so not having one is great. Also the face ID works flawlessly even if I have no makeup on or am wearing sunglasses.

I also noticed that the 8+ is a bit heavier than the 7+ but that just may be me. The screen on the X is beautiful - and well I just really like it. When I see a 7+ or 8+ now I just feel like all that area at the top and bottom is wasted space.

That's my 2 cents but I am sure she will love whatever you get her.

Lisa
    Thank you. That is really helpful.

The "local" Apple Store is quite some distance away and it can be hard really understanding what the phones look and feel like from just an image on the web. Your insights are very helpful.

Eventually you will have to select the phone, but I would recommend you to go with iPhone 8 or plus..
    There was an article published on business insider about the comparison of both phones, I hope this will help you
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...phone-x-2017-9
    FabuWrap

Thread Information